RNS-E Nav and DIS

heli_madken

Reaction score
Hi All,

Last year I bought myself an RNS-E unit off ebay and fitted it to my 05 plate B6 S4, works a treat and really pleased with it but I recently drove an 08 plate A6 that displayed elements of the navigation on the DIS, turn directions etc.

I didnt do any updates using Vagcom or anything, is it possible to get the same display on my DIS with some work using Vagcom? mine is the coloured DIS panel

Cheers

Cheers, bit nervous about vag-com anyone in the North West able to do this?

drop a message to Gareth at HazzyDayz (vwcruise.com) and ask him to let you know when he's next in the area.... if you get your timings right and are willing to travel to wherever he's working, he'd probably do for minimal cost... he is based in Herts, but I know he travels around a LOT, as do some of his techs.

also worth bearing in mind that to enable it, if you don't have the full DIS controls, you have to turn off the RNS-E off (hold down mute until the screen goes blank) and then turn it back on again to remind the DIS that there's an RNS-E there.... has to be repeated each tiem the ignition is turned off :(

Last edited:
Hi I am in Liverpool so perhaps I should contact S8Craig, thanks

S8craig and TCL sat nav are one and the same. I'm quite happy to program members cars, I accept all forms of alcohol as currency.

doh! shd have been able to figure that out from the sig!!

btw - if you've retro-fitted RNS-E, even if you have the full DIS computer, you still ahve to power off the RNS-E and back on again for it to present directions on the screen.... and then use the service button to flick back to range/mpg, etc..... at least it doesn't drop the nav route when you do this!

bah.... that's mine!! Mine doesn't even allow me to view the phonebook properly on the DIS (appears for about 2 secs).... apparently this is a bug on the very early DIS's only: it's been tested with a later red DIS and works perfectly!

S8craig - any idea how to swap out the DIS for a colour one and how much that would cost?

You can't swap just the DIS, it is a whole new colour DIS cluster. I know of a few people that have done it. But as you can expect a new cluster is not cheap.

Grab a used one then have mileage adapted to your ecu if you have a conscience, lol, I've had 2 used 09 white dis ones on my a3 fitted by audi now, 1st was kph incase you wonder why 2, saved me hundreds & got my new features after a module & coding upgrade done earlier for my bixenons.

Given yours is a B6 then there should be variety of people who can adapt mileage cheaply as they've had years to crack the encryption & immo shouldnt be a issue, however as mine is 09 there's only few that have been able to crack the mileage encryption so gonna be few quid to get mine to ecu mileage as I do have a conscience.

Not sure if B6/7 had any immo upgrades during the period of release, so make sure you check cluster part with someone else who has the functionality you need, I'm sure craig could advise do the work anyway.

Just had a thought, is the immo also built into the B6/7 clusters as per 8P?

s8craig - not cheap at all... I've looked that up and it's £500-£600 new! need to find a breakers that does it.... other issue is although there's a few petrol S4 ones around with full colour, the TDI versions are very rare...

NHN - mine has all the mileage DVLA logged anyway, so would just be creating a mess come the next MOT if I clocked it back, even by a few miles...

ah - self-correction.... even on the red DIS, you can scroll back and forth between the Nav directions, trip details 1, details 2 and "range" using the mid-stalk "reset" button.... and then the end of stalk up/down buttons for details within each of those...

just to be clear: I still have to turn the RNS-E off and back on (takes 2 secs) and then when I scroll through the options using the computer on the wiper stalk I get:Navigation, Details1, Details2, Range, Off....

If I don't power it off and back on, then it scrolls through: Details1, Details2, Range, Off.... but no nav.... minor niggle, but it works....

NHN - mine has all the mileage DVLA logged anyway, so would just be creating a mess come the next MOT if I clocked it back, even by a few miles...

Then do as I suggested, clock it to your ecu mileage then your legal & clear conscience, getting used cluster will be much cheaper than new for sure.

yep.... just need to wait for the next colour Diesel cluster that comes along..... :lazy::lazy::lazy: could be a while!!

s8craig sorted it for me, brilliant job and sorted a whole host of other faults too like RHD and no Bose setup, thank you

Well worth getting done just gives that bit of information more in your line of sight

Thanks again Craig, Ken