rns e install!

syk919

Reaction score
im ready for my first major install (rns-e + bluetooth) i know im gonna struggle on a couple of things

1. dragging the gps wire from the boot to the front(voice guided sat nav)
2. trimming the climate control unit
3.getting the bluetooth module under the seat
4. coding everything to make sure it works

i got in touch with nigel but he hasnt replied for like a week although he was recovering from a virus?

if anyone else can fit everything for me please send me a pm thanks

Questions:

1) Why do you need to run wires from the boot for the nav??
2) Trimming the climate control - why??
3) Its not essential to put it under the seat - just preferable.

Are you changing from single din? If not, no need to trim the c/c unit. GPS aerial works perfectly on top of glove box.

im ready for my first major install (rns-e + bluetooth) i know im gonna struggle on a couple of things

1. dragging the gps wire from the boot to the front(voice guided sat nav)
2. trimming the climate control unit
3.getting the bluetooth module under the seat
4. coding everything to make sure it works

i got in touch with nigel but he hasnt replied for like a week although he was recovering from a virus?

if anyone else can fit everything for me please send me a pm thanks

Hi, Nigel is back on his feet again, just drop him another pm and im sure he will get back to you. :) x

Replied last week mate, didnt get answer as yet, just sent you another PM :)

ok just to clear a couple of points.
1.im coming from a single din so yes i do need to trim the unit unless i can get hold of the double din version
2.i have voice guided sat nav...so its logicak that the system will use gps?? i also have the shark fin installed? the audi sat nav drive is in the boot my guess is that the gps aerial is connected to the drive? correct me if im wrong
3.i want to keep everything OEM so i would prefer to put bluetooth under the seat. also i have so many plug and play connections there would be no space behind the rns-e and ive read there is no space to put above the glove box.

and il pm you now mate

Sorry to hijack, is there a list of things needed to add an rns e to a car?

mike you will need the following if you have a single din car with a concert radio.
if not you will most likely need very few items

1. single din car with concert no bose.
*rns-e up to you which version you get
*adaptor the quadlock one search for it on ebay
*keys to remove the radio.again ebay or amazon or audi if your feeling generous
*diversity antenna
*gps antenna if you dont have it installed ebay again very cheap
*audi sat nav dvd.usually come with the rns-e
*double din climate unit if you dont feel like trimming your old one
2.double din with symphony
*rns-e+ sat nav dvd
*gps antenna
*radio removal keys

you will need to get it coded. if you have a double din already you will need very few extras depending on the age of car possibly? maybe the older double din radios may need harness adaptors? if you put a pic up of the system im sure nhn or someone else will tell you exactly what you need

ok just to clear a couple of points.
2.i have voice guided sat nav...so its logicak that the system will use gps?? i also have the shark fin installed? the audi sat nav drive is in the boot my guess is that the gps aerial is connected to the drive? correct me if im wrong

Which Drive have you got in the boot? All my RNS-E equipment is in a single unit in the dash?

i have the sat nav drive in the boot. which holds the sat nav cd. i control the sat nav from near the handbreak and i get voice guidance along with dis info to help

mike you will need the following if you have a single din car with a concert radio.
if not you will most likely need very few items

1. single din car with concert no bose.
*rns-e up to you which version you get
*adaptor the quadlock one search for it on ebay
*keys to remove the radio.again ebay or amazon or audi if your feeling generous
*diversity antenna
*gps antenna if you dont have it installed ebay again very cheap
*audi sat nav dvd.usually come with the rns-e
*double din climate unit if you dont feel like trimming your old one
2.double din with symphony
*rns-e+ sat nav dvd
*gps antenna
*radio removal keys

you will need to get it coded. if you have a double din already you will need very few extras depending on the age of car possibly? maybe the older double din radios may need harness adaptors? if you put a pic up of the system im sure nhn or someone else will tell you exactly what you need

I don't think mine is a quad lock either, ill take some pics later

If quad lock is the one with a lever on it then I don't have it, although ill double check it once my cars out the garage

Yea I took one out a family members fiesta, I'm 95% sure it was about 3-4 separate plugs, is this not normal then? I also seem to be missing a cd changer from the glove box if this helps as there's just a plug in the top right hand quarter

Mike, you will need all the items listed in '1' in post #13. The concert radio has separate inputs and a quadlock adapter is required as the rnse only accepts quadlock..

It would appear that your cd changer has been removed by a previous owner !

Haha yea, not like I would use the changer, is there an iPod cable I could plug into it instead?

And do you roughly know the prices of the items needed

i have the sat nav drive in the boot. which holds the sat nav cd. i control the sat nav from near the handbreak and i get voice guidance along with dis info to help

All that will redundant then with RNS-e so no need to run wires from the rear to the front of the car.