RNS-E Help....

cliveywolves

Reaction score
Website
www.carinsurance4u.co.uk
Hi just about to buy and install a RNS-E Unit into my A3 , the part number is 8P0 035 192 which is a 2004 Model Unit.

I have got a RNS-E 2005 DVD Map which i know will work with this Unit,
anybody know if i could use 2006/2007 map and would this work, or would i need to upgrade the unit or something first ????:uhm:

Cheers....

Yes, you can use later maps without any problems. The 2006_1 DVD comes with software version 0460, and 0500 is available on a separate CD, plus the latest 2007 DVDs comes with TMC (Traffic Message Channel) and software 0550.

Basically, you get the DVD, insert it, and if there is a software upgrade on it, the RNS-E will automatically run it.

yeah...

so i can basically buy whatever version i want throw it in my rns-e and it will do the rest for me ????:yahoo:

i have already got 2005 dvd is there any point buying 2006 does it do anything more than what i got already ? Should i just try and get 2007 version ...

cheers again..

if they're still based on the teleatlas maps, i'd only bother upgrading every 2 years. Its a lot of money to upgrade every year - especially as it took 3 years for a major road development near me to appear on a new disc.

In the end though, it depends on how much you use your sat nav i guess.

madvw said:
if they're still based on the teleatlas maps, i'd only bother upgrading every 2 years. Its a lot of money to upgrade every year - especially as it took 3 years for a major road development near me to appear on a new disc.

In the end though, it depends on how much you use your sat nav i guess.
Good point - for exactly the same reason, I upgraded to the 2006 DVD because some roads local to me were missing, such as the A120 bypass extension in Essex. For a couple of weeks I was driving across fields and rivers!

Well Audi are about to start offering 2007 discs free, although it's not entirely clear who will qualify for this yet. I'd get it fitted and use your 2005 disc for the moment and then, come the end of Jan when the upgrade offer starts, see if you can get a 2007 disc set out of them for free.

****** hell, "audi" and "free" in the same sentence?

Ill second that Vertigo, I have been given the same response from Audi about the 2007 Nav Discs. A "Good will gesture" They called it. But I reckon you will have to had your RNS-E installed in the factory as they will just check the spec list on your car.

You might get lucky if you just go in on a busy saturday morning waving the old disc in their face! As I also beleive they are taking the old ones in exchange for the 2007 disc.

Worth a try though.....

Europe 2007 2 DVD set now being shipped with new Audi A3s. At least they have been shipped with my Week 50 (2006) build A3. Collect Wednesday. :)

Dandle,

Here is a copy of what the guy from glasgow audi e mailed me back, this is all I know:

Hi Mr "terrymcg",

Thanks for your recent enquiry re the above. These discs are currently being supplied on a Free Of Charge basis to existing DVD based vehicles as a goodwill gesture.
There is currently no stock of these discs at the factory but if you contact our service call centre on 0141 565 6300 and give them the vehicle details they will raise a job card and order the disc for you and when it becomes available they will contact you to have it fitted.

Regards

George Hayes
Parts Manager

So I am in two minds to ring or not as I reckon they will just check up when they punch your VIN into the computer! And for those of us that have retrofitted, I expect it will come back with a big fat NO!

Terry

Cheers terrymcg. Only just ordered a set from craigyb, I'll get in conatct with my dealer and find out if they can get me a set as well then.

The discs will be available for the dealers to order from Jan 22nd. Audi will be contacting owners with factory fitted RNS-E from next week to advise them.

The upgrade is being offered for free but it's not exactly clear who will be covered. Whilst I have been told categorically that I wll get the new discs for free (car is only a month old after all!) and people with relatively recent cards with factory RNS-E, such as dandle, will also certainly qualify, if your car is 2-3 years old it's not 100% clear yet although the indications are good.

As for retro-fitted units, this is totally up in the air atm. One person on TSN has reportedly been told by their dealer that they will be covered but this doesn't mean everyone will be or even that the dealer isn't talking out of their ****. Apparently the dealers have to use the warranty system to claim the cost of the discs they order back from Audi UK, who could of course deny such claims on vehicles which weren't shipped with RNS-E from the factory. If this happens then the dealers are going to wise up pretty quick as they're not going to fork out for the discs themselves!

I'm sure all will be come clear towards the end of Jan but I certainly wouldn't be paying out for 2007 discs right now.

Here's the all-important memo that was sent to the dealers by Audi UK:
Latest From Audi :-

Vehicles built from week 50 2006 and equipped with DVD Satellite Navigation will have the latest
2007 TMC enabled disc installed at the factory. The following programme will allow you to fit this
disc for existing A3 and A4 customers at subsidised cost.

Costs :
There is no standard labour time for the cost of this operation. Any labour costs incurred in the
fitment of the disc cannot be recovered and will need to be paid for by the Centre.
The disc is purchased through parts in the normal way. The relevant part no. is 8PO 060 884 M.
The Centre cost of the disc should be reclaimed through the warranty system.
The programme will run from 22 January 2007 to 30 June 2007 by which time fitments to cars
should have been carried out.

Retail price :
The 2007 disc with the latest digitalised road maps and TMC, and a vehicle lifetime subscription to
TrafficMaster TMC will be Free of Charge for all A3, A3 Sportback, S3, A4, RS 4 and S4 customers.
This applies to all discs fitted prior to 30 June 2007.
The recommended retail price of the DVD Satellite Navigation discs after the programme ends on
30 June 2007 will return to the current price of £210.00 including VAT.
Audi UK will be communicating directly with all A3 and A4 customers who have DVD Satellite
Navigation fitted to make them aware of this offer in the same way that we contacted A6 and A8
eligible customers at the end of October.

And a couple of threads on TSN for those that want to read more:

http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads...2,25,26,27,3/Number/874447/an/0/page/0#874447

http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads...25,26,27,3/Number/1038303/an/0/page/0#1038303

Excellent post Vertigo - there's been so much speculation recently about the 2007 DVDs as to who will qualify, and this is a brilliant summary!

I just had a reply from my Audi dealer warranty manager and they at this time aren't going to be giving away/upgrading anyone to the 2007 maps for free. They will be selling the maps at a reduced rate of £100 though. I guess I'll have to wait until the upgrade program starts and talk to them again.