RNS-E coding

Nickl

Reaction score
Have just installed RNS-E into my car, had to move the BOSE pin but other than that most things are ok (MFSW etc).

Few issues though:
- The phone screen says "No phone installed"
- I don't get the sound settings I was expecting from the BOSE speakers
- When I press the voice activated button I don't get the RNS-E options

Is this because I need to tell the RNS-E my car has GSM prep and BOSE? If so are you able to let me know which settings need to be changed? Will I need to goto an Audi garage to do this with VCDS?

Cheers

You need to code it man, CAN + MFSW + RNS-e unit need to be coded so you car "understands" the presence of the new HU

You can either go to your dealer to code it (+ some $$) or find a friend with VCDS and do it for some beer tokens.

Something i forgot. About the voice recognition system did you wire your BT mic correctly?

Thanks, will try and locate someone with VCDS :) The only wiring I changed was the Bose pin, did I need to move one for the mic as well?

For your voice recognition to work together with the RNS-e and your BT you need to rewire your mic.

The current setup leads your mic directly to the BT module. You need to either splice the mic wires and connect them to the RNS-e or create a loop.
Send the mic to your MIC IN ports (+,-)on the RNS-e and then connect it to your BT module through the MIC OUT ports

There are plenty of topics around talking about what i just described in case you don`t understand me :)

Yes rewire your mic to the rns then back out to the BT module, plus install the SDS hack.

You could always buy vagcom & do all the coding yourself, PM if interested as I sell the genuine cables.

Ah ok thanks a lot, will take a look. The mic seems to work as is at the moment though, guessing once the rns e is coded to know I hava telephone it may cause issues though?

Νο mate, BT will keep working just OK but you will only have voice recognition with the BT and not the whole unit

I see makes sense, where's the BT unit located?

If factory fitted then under passenger seat, under carpet in a plastic housing, no need to touch that at all.

ah so I guess I should be asking, where's the mic located :)