RNS-E coding

A3-black

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Im new to this forum and still getting my head around alot of the terminology so please be gentle ha ha.

Ive finally returned from the dark side after owning a couple of BM's after my 1st A3. loved the A3 :wub: BMW felt like it was lacking massively in quality in comparison with the A3.

Anyway Ill get to the point, I bought my second A3 a few months ago made up with it, Untill i had a look on this forum and now theres loads of things I wana add! Cheers guys ha ha.

Im looking at buy and fitting an RNS-E and possibly bluetooth (any recomendations on the BT would be really helpfull) My cars a 2009 8p3 BE with USB connection in the glovebox. MY question is whats actually needed to code for the Satnav and possibly BT? Is it better to fit them myself, and then get the dealer to do the coding? Or will they have my pants down.

Any held would be much appreciated cheers.

Hi fella, and welcome back on the Audi scene.

Don't go to the dealers as they will have your pants down and your balls off!! Lol.
you could get the parts and fit yourself then find someone who has vcds to code it all in.

The other option would be to get someone to install and code which I could have done for you, but your a bit far from London for me to travel.
So I would suggest, get in touch with Nigel(NHN), he will do a full supply and fit and will quite possibly travel to Cornwall.

Don't right off the dealers... I got mine coded at my dealer for £40....

I put mine in to get the RNS-E & cruise coded and was told that it couldn't be done.
Broadster on here coded them both for me in an hour.
Useless whores!

Thing with dealers is, it is hit and miss. A lot of dealers will say it can't be done as they have not a clue!!
Other dealers will say they will try, then call you back and say they had no luck and it is not possible but still try to charge you their rip off hourly rates for doing jack for you.

But, that is not to say that there are a minority of dealers can actually do it. But why take the chance. As said, many of us here can fit and code, or if you want to fit yourself then just find a local VCDS user to code for you and sort him/her out a drink.

Thanks for all the replys guys,

I think im going to order the RSN-E of ebay and fit it myself, gives me something to do during these quite months in Cornwall. Im gonna go for the BT a bit later and think about getting the coding done then.

Looking through this forum has given me loads of ideas (nice S3 front and back bumper i think with S-line badges :yes:) Ill keep you all posted and how its going.

Cheers

Thanks for all the replys guys,

I think im going to order the RSN-E of ebay and fit it myself, gives me something to do during these quite months in Cornwall. Im gonna go for the BT a bit later and think about getting the coding done then.

Looking through this forum has given me loads of ideas (nice S3 front and back bumper i think with S-line badges :yes:) Ill keep you all posted and how its going.

Cheers

You will still need coding to be done when you fit the RNS-e...

When I fitted mine everything worked except my phonebook & BOSE.
Got it coded tho as there is apparently power going to the unit the whole time if you don't?

Could I get the RNS-E fit it myself and then wait untill I get the Bluetooth later down the line and then get it all coded at once? Or would having the RNS-E fitted on its own cause me problems such as flattening the battery? Didnt realise as Crunchie was saying it has a permanent supply to the unit. What problems did it cause with your Bose Crunchie? I thought it was just a case of swapping one lead from 5 to 7??

Could I get the RNS-E fit it myself and then wait untill I get the Bluetooth later down the line and then get it all coded at once? Or would having the RNS-E fitted on its own cause me problems such as flattening the battery? Didnt realise as Crunchie was saying it has a permanent supply to the unit. What problems did it cause with your Bose Crunchie? I thought it was just a case of swapping one lead from 5 to 7??

Crunchie was lucky I think! Due to how the RNS-e is powered compared to the standard head units it needs to be coded, it also needs to be coded to work properly with the dis so the nav info is displayed properly and also when I fitted mine before coding, I couldn't use the nav because the unit didn't know the car was moving! All down to the coding.