RNS-d Firmware Update

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
Thought i'd do a brief thread on how to update your firmware on your RNS-d unit.

1, Download the firmware here (I will try and keep a copy of this program on my harddrive, just in case that link breaks.)

2, Burn the files to a CD, close session and slowish. I burnt mine at 16x and it worked.

3, Make sure the unit is off. Press and hold the 'Navigation' Button and the 'Flag' Button while turning the unit on. Keep these pressed until you see the below screen.
IMAG0763_zpsd6401bb6.jpg

4, Eject the Navigation CD and insert the firmware update CD.

5, Move the selection to 'Start Control Unit' and you should see 'Current Software' and 'CD Software'. Like in the pic.
IMAG0763_zpsd6401bb6.jpg

6, If the CD software is newer than the current software, press the right knob in to start. You should see the below image.
IMAG0764_zps2aef377f.jpg

IMAG0765_zps1d48fe80.jpg

7, The will complete the installation and restart. It will then start updating the graphics.
IMAG0769_zps3c7701fa.jpg

8, It will complete, restart and say it was successful. Take the firmware CD out and insert your Navigation CD.

9, wait a couple of minutes for it to update and do the final stages. My languide went to german or something. If you go to Navigation, press mode, you will be able to change it.
IMAG0770_zps4df06fa4.jpg

Hopefully that works for everyone else the same way it did with me.
I started the update and then went for a long drive, to make sure it never ran the battery flat mid update.

I have a problem, when installing the update my daughter pressed something and it stopped and now it says timeout error...
is there anything i can do?

Try again and make sure no one touches a button? :)
The problem is that when i turn the rns on it shows a. Blue screen saying timeout error, how do i restart the process?

The problem is that when i turn the rns on it shows a. Blue screen saying timeout error, how do i restart the process?

If the CD is still in the unit.
Turn it off and hold the 'Navigation' Button and the 'Flag' Button again and see if you get the menu at the start.

I think you can reset the RNS unit via VCDS.

If the CD is still in the unit.
Turn it off and hold the 'Navigation' Button and the 'Flag' Button again and see if you get the menu at the start.

I think you can reset the RNS unit via VCDS.
I tried the keys, but with the radio off when i press the navigation the display says it will download from the cd and then "timeout Error"

I tried the keys, but with the radio off when i press the navigation the display says it will download from the cd and then "timeout Error"

Is that instant?

Power off, hold the keys, power on and then time out error?

What happens when you just turn it on?

I installed the firmware on a cd, and when I try and load it, it ejects the cd and says navigation error on the top of the screen. Any ideas?

Burnt to fast or bad burn.

Burn slower and user a quality CD.
I tried an older 2001 update, it read that cd fine, but came up with the 1999 update that I already have. Tried a different 2003 update and still get the navi error.

Now I'm getting the timeout error :( can't even turn off or on again....its stuck in a bootloop...any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, managed to sort it...just in case anyone else gets the same error:

1. Disconnect battery (Make sure you have radio code handy)

2. Leave for about 20 minutes and recconect, the update CD should auto eject.

3. Once this occurs and the usual update screen starts at the initialization stage, insert the CD.

4. The unit should saying checking disk and begin updating as normal

Hi All,

when burning the CD is there a specific name we have to give the CD? i dont get any date appearing in the "CD-Software" box, just 3 dots. I have burnt the CD at 10x speed.

Old old thread I know but just trying the above and like dal it doesn't recognise the update on the CD. Have tried different burning software and will try a different brand disk when I can get hold of one but does anyone know if the source files are copied straight onto the CD or kept in the subfolder AUDIFW2003 and as above does the CD need to be called something in particular? I have tried all different ways but all on the same brand discs so maybe that's the issue! Burnt at 10x and finalised.

Thanks!

In case helps anyone else I got working - I think its the format that's most crucial so in end I used ISO9660 via ImgBurn at the slowest speed possible with all the files copied onto the root of the CD and labelled the CD AUDIFW2003 and then bingo it saw it and off it went..

I know the topic is old but the download link is broken. Can anyone upload the link for downloading update firmware.

Hi, does someone have the 2003 firmware version, because I can't find it anywhere.