RNS-D code works in one car, but not another.

JamieOS

Resident Eejit
Reaction score
Long story short, I had a garage do the wiring to replace my RNS-D with an RNS-E. One of the lads in the garage has an A4 B6 with a single din Concert radio that is broken. He asked me if I'm interested in selling him the RNS-D. He tried plugging it into his car and it powers on, but he says it wont accept the radio code. I've put in the radio code a few times while it was in my car without any problems, but for some reason it just wont work in his car. Is this normal, is there anything that can be done about it? They have VCDS software in the garage, if that info might help.

The other weird thing is that the radio code is actually written in a Concert Radio manual, rather than in the Navigation Plus manual. As far as I know, the previous owner of my car didn't retrofit the RNS-D. Its got a heap of extras from the factory, so I'd assume that the RNS-D was factory done too.

It wont have a safe wire or ignition, so you need to do some extra wiring. If you look at the lid you can see where the safe wire and ignition go to.

Also you need a can gateway (commonly known as a TMC module) to convert the RNS-D to the cluster. You could remove the one from the boot of your car for him.

Reactions: JamieOS
It wont have a safe wire or ignition, so you need to do some extra wiring. If you look at the lid you can see where the safe wire and ignition go to.

Also you need a can gateway (commonly known as a TMC module) to convert the RNS-D to the cluster. You could remove the one from the boot of your car for him.

So basically, its a whole lot of work to install one? I wouldn't even know where to get the wires for the TMC unit to install it in his car. I had to have some wires in my 12 pin connector bridged, so I can't give him that from my car, and I'm not sure what the case with the aerial is.

It would probably just be easier for him to install another concert radio or some aftermarket radio.

Yes, retrofitting an RNS-D is not a simple task, I think there is a sticky above about it. You can get away without a TMC device I think, but you will still need GALA, ignition, safe wire, lighting added to the loom at a minimum and an adaptor for the concert radio antennas to fit the RNS-D