Rising used car prices.

To be clear, I think prices will drop now as autumn turns to winter. I also suspect that Cazoo's offers will continue to top the competition for some months as they look to cement a stronger position in the marketplace. For all their promotion, they are still much smaller than the likes of Pendragon, Arnold Clark etc.

But I am modestly confident that prices will rise again in spring 2022. On an individual level, what this might mean is that an average car depreciates now but stops depreciating for a few months next spring. But this will still mean that the price for a, say, 3-year-old A3 will be the same or higher in 2022 than it was in 2021, 2020, 2019 etc.

For me personally, it might mean that I can run my S3 with minimal depreciation for another 6 months instead of selling - and thereby benefit from the added utility of having another car at a low price. Long term, I will probably combine the two cars I have into one.
Do you think the prices in spring 2022 will exceed the sept-21 prices?

It depends what you’re measuring!

I think prices for an individual car will probably fall as it ages, albeit perhaps gently and / or halting for a period next spring. But I think it may also cost more to buy a 3 year old car in spring 2022 than it did in spring 2021.

I think prices for an individual car will probably fall as it ages, albeit perhaps gently and / or halting for a period next spring. But I think it may also cost more to buy a 3 year old car in spring 2022 than it did in spring 2021.what I meant... a car at a certain mileage valued lasted month vs the a exactly same car

I think prices for an individual car will probably fall as it ages, albeit perhaps gently and / or halting for a period next spring. But I think it may also cost more to buy a 3 year old car in spring 2022 than it did in spring 2021.
We shall soon see..who knows what will happen.... but for me personally the money on the table is too much for me to be messy around with..... let's see how the handover process goes with cazoo on Friday.!!!!

On a random note I'm going to miss my SEAT Leon FR... really fun car to drive and looks great... in my opinion the new shape Leon doesn't look as nice

Reactions: The Cardinal
Motorcycles are the same,prices just keep going up

Don't I know it! It's been increasing for the last decade but with COVID-19 it's gone stupid.
Ten years ago I bought my R6 5SL race bike for £2000. I sold it in 2017 for £3.5k. If I were to buy one now it would cost me around £6k. Insane!

Reactions: Steve940
Don't I know it! It's been increasing for the last decade but with COVID-19 it's gone stupid.
Ten years ago I bought my R6 5SL race bike for £2000. I sold it in 2017 for £3.5k. If I were to buy one now it would cost me around £6k. Insa6

Ten years ago I bought my R6 5SL race bike for £2000. I sold it in 2017 for £3.5k. If I were to buy one now it would cost me around £6k. Insane!
600s are getting crazy..Good for me as I'm hoping to buy a 1000 soon so the old.faithful gsxr should bring good money

600s are getting crazy..Good for me as I'm hoping to buy a 1000 soon so the old.faithful gsxr should bring good money
If you want a project I've a 1989 EXUP that needs some loving. Daughter came along not long after the bike.......

My dayz... super impressed with Cazoo. I was expecting to have to haggle but none of it... Great customer service.... quick as you like. Payment was in my bank before I left the building.

Very impressed

Reactions: Alan66
Guys, is it worth changing my A3 2.0 TFSI FWD 2016 for S3 8v 2014 just for the power and quattro drive? My car has 35k on the clock and S3 has 45...

I changed from a 1.8 8V to a S3. Much better power and torque and the grip is in a different league. The trade-off is 30mpg instead of the 40mpg I was getting from the 1.8.
Since this is a car prices thread, I would say the S3 would be way over priced and you could end up with an old car very soon with more miles and the value dropping like a stone if belt tightening hits.
Reputable dealers will want around £4k out of the deal to change and on a car 7 years old, many will offer fairly limited worthless warranties that will leave you stung if anything expensive goes wrong after the first month.
I've always believed in better the devil you know and that people sell 3 year old cars because they aren't new any more but sell 7 year old cars because they need money spending on them.
If it's just power you are after you can get really impressive gains of an extra 55Bhp and 110Nm torque from a 2.0 for an inexpensive stage 1 tune, but it would be a handful with FWD.
Only you can decide what you want and if the spec of the car is so much better and is worth it to you. YOLO and they don't sew pockets in shrouds

To try and bring customers in to order and wait for a new car, VW in Chester are giving you a 'todays' BCA price for your car and say that is what they will give you when your new car arrives months down the line! They also go on to say "If your px prise has increased between now and then, they will give you the increased px price, if it has dropped in value we will take the hit".

It would be interesting to see how that works out if in 6 months your px price bombed out!

Reactions: Bells and Adam14
^^ I take this to mean that they think book prices are as low as they are going to get. As predicted in my own case, late October was the peak of valuations for my 2018 S3 - they dropped ~10% over November but look to be going up again.

Trade thinks that demand will rise after Christmas and that there are just too few new cars coming into the top of the system for prices to drop permanently back to pre-2020 levels.

^^ I take this to mean that they think book prices are as low as they are going to get. As predicted in my own case, late October was the peak of valuations for my 2018 S3 - they dropped ~10% over November but look to be going up again.

Trade thinks that demand will rise after Christmas and that there are just too few new cars coming into the top of the system for prices to drop permanently back to pre-2020 levels.
To back up your claim since selling my car to cazoo circa 1 month ago the valuation of my old car (using the registration) had dropped by £950 from its selling price but has since bounced back to £350 .. like you say with the lack of new cars and the likey higher demand for used cars post Christmas maybe the used car market will hit a new high at around spring time?????

I changed from a 1.8 8V to a S3. Much better power and torque and the grip is in a different league. The trade-off is 30mpg instead of the 40mpg I was getting from the 1.8.
Since this is a car prices thread, I would say the S3 would be way over priced and you could end up with an old car very soon with more miles and the value dropping like a stone if belt tightening hits.
Reputable dealers will want around £4k out of the deal to change and on a car 7 years old, many will offer fairly limited worthless warranties that will leave you stung if anything expensive goes wrong after the first month.
I've always believed in better the devil you know and that people sell 3 year old cars because they aren't new any more but sell 7 year old cars because they need money spending on them.
If it's just power you are after you can get really impressive gains of an extra 55Bhp and 110Nm torque from a 2.0 for an inexpensive stage 1 tune, but it would be a handful with FWD.
Only you can decide what you want and if the spec of the car is so much better and is worth it to you. YOLO and they don't sew pockets in shrouds
Hi
BUt now since you have S3 u need to use Super 98 and you will spend like 100 pounds today for full tank am I right ?

Hi
BUt now since you have S3 u need to use Super 98 and you will spend like 100 pounds today for full tank am I right ?

Don’t have to use super unleaded with an S3. Engine runs fine on normal unleaded.
Some (like myself) just chose to use super unleaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AudiRace
Hi
You are right! And?...
You don't have to use super unleaded in and S3 if the extra cost bothers you, they run perfectly well on 95RON E10.
If you drive like a hypermiler wearing socks, avoiding "excessive" use of the throttle and drive well under the speed limit just to save a few quid on fuel, the S3 is probably not your best choice.
If you still want to pay over the top for an A3 rather than buy a more sensible car with the cheapest overall ownership and running costs over a certain period of time, put the cheapest fuel in the tank less often then 1.0 thrummers or 1.6 oil burners would probably be the A3s to consider.
I can share my thoughts and experience but I'm not in a position to tell anyone which car will best suit them or their circumstances.

Reactions: Adam14
You are right! And?...
You don't have to use super unleaded in and S3 if the extra cost bothers you, they run perfectly well on 95RON E10.
If you drive like a hypermiler wearing socks, avoiding "excessive" use of the throttle and drive well under the speed limit just to save a few quid on fuel, the S3 is probably not your best choice.
If you still want to pay over the top for an A3 rather than buy a more sensible car with the cheapest overall ownership and running costs over a certain period of time, put the cheapest fuel in the tank less often then 1.0 thrummers or 1.6 oil burners would probably be the A3s to consider.
I can share my thoughts and experience but I'm not in a position to tell anyone which car will best suit them or their circumstances.
''hypermiler wearing socks'' :D what that means ?
Ah, some ppl on this forum said in past, only 98 must be used and apparently 95 causing issues to s3 . .¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I have A3 and have to top up every week £50 driving to work 60 miles mo-fri
Nobody asking you to tell anyone which car to consider.

I'm totally with you mate. I follow this thread since I got my A3 six months ago and now I got the best price from cazoo ever since (18,350 for 2016 FWD A3 Saloon).

I like to put the foot down from time to time hence my question about S3. The 2014 S3 saloon I found is 1 owner car with 48k miles but had no DSG oil service, so that's slightly concerning for me even though Audi said that will do the service before delivery. I also found A3 Saloon 2016 2.0tfsi Quattro with 25k miles and incredible spec (matrix led, sunroof, heated seats, magride, tech pack s-line). I've seen posts about the remapped A3's not being exactly the same car as S3, hence my post asking for advice. Sorry if I'm going off topic.

Don’t have to use super unleaded with an S3. Engine runs fine on normal unleaded.
Some (like myself) just chose to use super unleaded.

So you see ? u scared to use 95 :)

I'm totally with you mate. I follow this thread since I got my A3 six months ago and now I got the best price from cazoo ever since (18,350 for 2016 FWD A3 Saloon).

I like to put the foot down from time to time hence my question about S3. The 2014 S3 saloon I found is 1 owner car with 48k miles but had no DSG oil service, so that's slightly concerning for me even though Audi said that will do the service before delivery. I also found A3 Saloon 2016 2.0tfsi Quattro with 25k miles and incredible spec (matrix led, sunroof, heated seats, magride, tech pack s-line). I've seen posts about the remapped A3's not being exactly the same car as S3, hence my post asking for advice. Sorry if I'm going off topic.
You don't really need to be scared of transmission fluid much .. it is not same like engine oil . There is no combustion process going on in transmission ..
You don't change it unless you don't drive on racing track all the time.
You can change it when you reach about 100k if you wish to.

''hypermiler wearing socks'' :D what that means ?
Ah, some ppl on this forum said in past, only 98 must be used and apparently 95 causing issues to s3 . .¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I have A3 and have to top up every week £50 driving to work 60 miles mo-fri
Nobody asking you to tell anyone which car to consider.

I watched an interesting piece on Hypermilers on Wheeler Dealers some years ago. One "technique" is to drive in socks (without shoes) to develop better sensitivity to the accelerator pedal (they only touch the brake pedal if absolutely necessary). Just looked at Wikipedia and they seem to get up to some really weird and potentially dangerous stuff to save a few quid.
Perhaps they'd be better putting their efforts into getting a better job so they could afford £100 for a tank of super unleaded to enjoy themselves without fretting about it.

Do tell what issues using 95RON will cause an S3? They leave the factory set to safely run on any rated petrol. If you have a stage 3 tune running large turbos, stupid high boost pressure and ignition advance, that might be different.

My S3 must be fairly economical because it only uses £15 a week driving to work.

I replied to a question "is it worth changing my A3 2.0 TFSI FWD 2016 for S3" to which I seem to be the only one who replied with an opinion.

Reactions: Adam14
I watched an interesting piece on Hypermilers on Wheeler Dealers some years ago. One "technique" is to drive in socks (without shoes) to develop better sensitivity to the accelerator pedal (they only touch the brake pedal if absolutely necessary). Just looked at Wikipedia and they seem to get up to some really weird and potentially dangerous stuff to save a few quid.
Perhaps they'd be better putting their efforts into getting a better job so they could afford £100 for a tank of super unleaded to enjoy themselves without fretting about it.

Do tell what issues using 95RON will cause an S3? They leave the factory set to safely run on any rated petrol. If you have a stage 3 tune running large turbos, stupid high boost pressure and ignition advance, that might be different.

My S3 must be fairly economical because it only uses £15 a week driving to work.

I replied to a question "is it worth changing my A3 2.0 TFSI FWD 2016 for S3" to which I seem to be the only one who replied with an opinion.
Looks like you were the only one who expressed an opinion about my question :D

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

You must have been extremely bored to watch those two know-nothing muppets.
I know. It was in America on fixing an engine in a rice burner. Not a splitter, wheel spacer, pano roof or matrix headlight in sight.
Meanwhile, back in audi-sport land - discussing how much main dealers lift your leg for servicing, why they don't clean the Haldex filter and why Super Sport seats in an S3 are an absolute must. All over again...

Looks like you were the only one who expressed an opinion about my question :D

When do you collect it? :superman: :s3addict:

15 a week you lucky.. That means u drive to work in 5 minutes u can walk instead or have a exercising run :D

When do you collect it? :superman: :s3addict:

Haven't decided which one I'm going for. I'm really torn between the 2015 S3 with pretty much standard spec and fully loaded 2016 A3 Quattro... :(

Haven't decided which one I'm going for. I'm really torn between the 2015 S3 with pretty much standard spec and fully loaded 2016 A3 Quattro... :(
Assuming mileage and service history are similar, I'd go Quattro.

S3 - 2015, FSH, 48k miles, Audi dealership, standard S3 spec

A3 Quattro - 2016, FSH, 25k miles, Audi dealership, 19" wheels, mag-ride, Matrix LED, sunroof, parking sensors front and rear + camera, tech pack, S-Line

So you see ? u scared to use 95 :)

Don't remember saying I'm scared? It's personal preference. I use vpower through choice and the added lubricants added to them. Is it worth it? Who knows. Touch wood had 0 issues with my car since getting it, whether its due to v power will never know.

Reactions: Jcbmally and S32B
S3 - 2015, FSH, 48k miles, Audi dealership, standard S3 spec

A3 Quattro - 2016, FSH, 25k miles, Audi dealership, 19" wheels, mag-ride, Matrix LED, sunroof, parking sensors front and rear + camera, tech pack, S-Line

If you want bells and whistles then the A3 is the option. If you want a bit more fun then the S3 is the choice. Between those two options I'd probably go the A3.

Yeah that's what I take from it as well! The only car that interests me is the new GR86 which is due out around March next year, it's only going to be available for the European market for 2 years due to emissions or something...so could be a good 'collectors' car!?!?! 10 year warranty is a bonus as well.

But as for build lead times, the new Polo GTi if ordered today is a 44 week wait, that's early October 2022 :blink:

Reactions: Jcbmally
If the EU Governments have their way, combustion engine cars will be obsolete within the next 20 years or so, so investment wise it's probably not worth it.

Guys, is it worth changing my A3 2.0 TFSI FWD 2016 for S3 8v 2014 just for the power and quattro drive? My car has 35k on the clock and S3 has 45...
I always would look at my reason for changing.
Are the two cars you are considering really enough of a change from a 2.0 fwd of a similar age? You will get an Audi 2 year warranty which is the only advantage I see. But you could buy 'All In' for less than £1k and get that.
Is extra toys or performance right now worth the £4k contribution to the main dealers glass palace fund, just to end up with a car of similar age and value?
I'd wait for now then spend a bit more on a newer S3 with all the toys when one turns up. Doing this you'd get everything you want and an extra few years motoring for you money.

Reactions: Mr Freeze
I always would look at my reason for changing.
Are the two cars you are considering really enough of a change from a 2.0 fwd of a similar age? You will get an Audi 2 year warranty which is the only advantage I see. But you could buy 'All In' for less than £1k and get that.
Is extra toys or performance right now worth the £4k contribution to the main dealers glass palace fund, just to end up with a car of similar age and value?
I'd wait for now then spend a bit more on a newer S3 with all the toys when one turns up. Doing this you'd get everything you want and an extra few years motoring for you money.
After thinking about the whole situation I came to exactly the same point. In the end it's exactly the same car for £5k more. I'm gonna save some money and get the S3/S4 when the time and right car comes.
I really appreciate your views and opinion guys. It's so good that forums like this are still alive!

Much appreciated!

Reactions: Adam14, Matt Titanium and Jcbmally
Engine choice should always be first - with caveats

That said your choice is a tough one.
If you have to change now, get the A3 quattro and get a stage 1 map / MTM Cantonic box as the A3 is seriously well specced. Country roads you’ll make safer progress with matrix LEDs than S3 with standards.

S3 engine a world apart but the newer car + serious options is compelling in this case unless you rag it all the time, in which case S3.

Reactions: Jcbmally
If the EU Governments have their way, combustion engine cars will be obsolete within the next 20 years or so, so investment wise it's probably not worth it.
What? Whay not?
What you think ppl keep cars for 50 years? Many not even 5 years.. 10 years I would
And 20 years is still plenty of time man

My point is that when this ban on combustion engines becomes accepted reality, these cars will become worthless except for museum pieces.