Rising used car prices.

It's nuts lately. I'm looking to get shot of my S3 (44 months old) in the next few weeks and stuck it up on Wizzle last week.

Within hours I had four offers over £25k when the last time I checked early this year I was getting quotes around £22-23.

Nice. Pretty much 4 years old and well over the 50% residual which is always a good number after 3!

Reactions: Jcbmally
Nice. Pretty much 4 years old and well over the 50% residual which is always a good number after 3!

I paid about £39k for it new so it's more like 64% residual value! Should clear about £5.5k after paying off the remaining finance.

Reactions: NevMan
Think the bubble is bursting now.
car dropped a grand in under 2 weeks
Do you own a Lada? Mine has gone up by average of 1k since I last checked. Can now expect £21.5k from WBAC, I only paid 24.5k over 2 years ago... Now car is 7 years old... Totally bonkers at the min.

Reactions: NevMan and AlS3BE
Thank you guys for this thread!

I checked with WBAC in February when I ordered my new A3 - they quoted £11,700 - Audi offered me £13k. WBAC now values mine at £15,800!!

I should be collecting my 8Y this month, so hoping the valuations hold....

Reactions: S32B and NevMan
Do you own a Lada? Mine has gone up by average of 1k since I last checked. Can now expect £21.5k from WBAC, I only paid 24.5k over 2 years ago... Now car is 7 years old... Totally bonkers at the min.

2018 s3 BE with tech pack.
started around £22k earlier in the year then peaked at £27k 2 weeks ago now it’s down at £26k. This is on both motorway and webuyanycrap.

I paid about £39k for it new so it's more like 64% residual value! Should clear about £5.5k after paying off the remaining finance.

Fair enough, I had no idea what your original price was as obv sport back vs saloon differs, as does spec

2018 s3 BE with tech pack.
started around £22k earlier in the year then peaked at £27k 2 weeks ago now it’s down at £26k. This is on both motorway and webuyanycrap.

Worth noting that when I did actually go via motorway, the end price went from £22,866, to £23,250 (my reserve), and achieved £23,601 in sale

Reactions: AlS3BE
Thank you guys for this thread!

I checked with WBAC in February when I ordered my new A3 - they quoted £11,700 - Audi offered me £13k. WBAC now values mine at £15,800!!

I should be collecting my 8Y this month, so hoping the valuations hold....
You could always get shut now at the extra £2,800 more than Audi price and use taxis when needed!!! Or use Motorway and agree a price and a collection date...Motorway will probably be higher again! https://motorway.co.uk/

Reactions: toooldforboyracing and NevMan
New figures from the SMMT reveal that April-June 2021 was the "best ever second quarter" for the used car market, with 2,167,504 models changing hands. That's up 108.6% on the pandemic-stricken Q2 2020 tally, but more relevantly represents a 6.6% increase over Q2 2019, before the pandemic hit.

Hence why prices are still climbing

Still debating selling my S5 I got a few values back a few weeks ago but never proceeded. Considering going with a Merc A Class or CLA 250E as my next car, I’d save a fortune in fuel but don’t know whether I’d miss the power of a S car.

Alternatively I could car share for the next 6 months or so and see if the bubble bursts after I’ve cashed in.

Bubble likely to be here until near the end of the year, but who knows exactly. That is why I chose to get rid now, make so whilst I wait for factory order in Sep/Oct time for me

Reactions: Bells
Still debating selling my S5 I got a few values back a few weeks ago but never proceeded. Considering going with a Merc A Class or CLA 250E as my next car, I’d save a fortune in fuel but don’t know whether I’d miss the power of a S car.

Alternatively I could car share for the next 6 months or so and see if the bubble bursts after I’ve cashed in.
Mate, testdrive the 250E before offloading the S5, your going to miss the power for sure imo. The wife has the A250e saloon... You get decent 'poke' if the 30mile battery is topped up combined with the petrol engine... Once this goes, the petrol engine as a standalone is not great both in sound and performance. Its a small petrol tank, about 30 litres but returns about 350miles on a long run so not bad I guess. 400+ with the battery. How many miles are you doing I guess will make you decide?

Reactions: JohnM100 and Bells
Mate, testdrive the 250E before offloading the S5, your going to miss the power for sure imo. The wife has the A250e saloon... You get decent 'poke' if the 30mile battery is topped up combined with the petrol engine... Once this goes, the petrol engine as a standalone is not great both in sound and performance. Its a small petrol tank, about 30 litres but returns about 350miles on a long run so not bad I guess. 400+ with the battery. How many miles are you doing I guess will make you decide?
Thanks for the heads up, will definitely look to get an extended test drive in one. Regardless I think the S5 will go as I want to free up some money for a house move anyway. I do about 8k miles a year, main appeal is journeys around town saving me fuel by using the electric motor and my commute when rarely visiting the office is a 6 miles round trip, town driving. My S5 manages 15mpg on a good day :whistle2: Fairly frequent weekend 250 mile round trips to Newcastle to the football also have got me leaning towards something slightly more economical.

Failing the 250E another option would be a older Golf R as I could easily get 40mpg on a long run in one of them. I’d love an A35 (think the tech and interior is great) but prices are crazy at the moment and I’d probably end up paying out more than I’d get for my S5 to get a decent spec’d one.

Thanks for the heads up, will definitely look to get an extended test drive in one. Regardless I think the S5 will go as I want to free up some money for a house move anyway. I do about 8k miles a year, main appeal is journeys around town saving me fuel by using the electric motor and my commute when rarely visiting the office is a 6 miles round trip, town driving. My S5 manages 15mpg on a good day :whistle2: Fairly frequent weekend 250 mile round trips to Newcastle to the football also have got me leaning towards something slightly more economical.

Failing the 250E another option would be a older Golf R as I could easily get 40mpg on a long run in one of them. I’d love an A35 (think the tech and interior is great) but prices are crazy at the moment and I’d probably end up paying out more than I’d get for my S5 to get a decent spec’d one.
I hear you on MPG with the S5... Similar to my RSQ3. We took the Merc on a run down to St Ives the other week, brimmed the tank and full battery... 360 miles drive and still had approx 100miles of range left on fuel when we got down there. Dis read 68mpg combined, not bad for 35quids worth on fuel. When you "coast" and brake, the energy is fed back into the battery which helps a little but not enough to give you "miles" extra back into it. The 30miles is pretty accurate on range, take 10miles off this in winter if your only running around on battery.

Reactions: Bells and NevMan
In the long run, the cheapest car will be the one you already own. Selling up because of fuel savings is a false economy for most people, certainly compared to depreciation on something like an A250e. Unless you need access to the capital, just using the existing S5 more selectively will save on fuel costs.

With many hundreds of thousands fewer newer cars in the system and demand for "petrolhead" models remaining solid, my view is that this is now a structural change in used pricing that is here to stay. Buying back into something like an S5 will become increasingly expensive as they become comparatively rarer owing to a critical mass of supply and eco factors.

Reactions: JohnM100, toooldforboyracing and NevMan
Have you plotted out the mileage / trips / coatings in a spreadsheet to see roughly how much you’re likely to save? You can always adjust the assumptions but if you’re looking at releasing capital for some house expenses, then the best route would be to go super cheap and cheerful.

If the equity in the car is what you’re looking to release, ignore the below…

10k p.a. comparison @ £1.40 p/l

Formula: ((Miles pa / mpg) * ltrs per gallon) * price per gallon
ltrs per gallon set to 4.5…

40mpg = 1125 ltrs = £1575
30mpg = 1500 ltrs = £2100
20mpg = 2250 ltrs = £3150

40 —> 30 mpg = £43.75 pm extra ( £525 pa)
30 —> 20 mpg = £87.5 pm extra (£1050 pa)
40 —> 20 mpg = £131.25pm extra (£1575 pa)

Presumably there’s loads of online calculators but if you’re moving house, the £131.25 saving is an interest only mortgage of 150k at current prices, assuming you meet the income multiplier requirements that all lenders seem to be sticking to.

Put it into a spreadsheet and fiddle around the edges, and see if the switching costs involved in going to something cheap are actually worth it or not.

Reactions: Bells
I have been offered more for my 718 than I paid for it in April.

Essentially if I sold it, minus fuel costs I would have driven it for free for the past few months.

Problem is stock of anything similar is non existent, and ordering another takes forever.

Reactions: Jcbmally and NevMan
I have been offered more for my 718 than I paid for it in April.

Essentially if I sold it, minus fuel costs I would have driven it for free for the past few months.

Problem is stock of anything similar is non existent, and ordering another takes forever.
and that is the issue, and why prices are so mad. Great if you have something else lined up, or fancy taking the money and running, otherwise meaningless

Reactions: Jcbmally and AlS3BE
and that is the issue, and why prices are so mad. Great if you have something else lined up, or fancy taking the money and running, otherwise meaningless

Yep, exactly the same issue with houses here at the moment as well. People selling their house because they have jumped up to stupid prices but so have the houses you will be trying to buy.

Reactions: Jcbmally, Adam14, NevMan and 1 other person
2015 s3 3dr 45k full service history nothing fancy pack wise has just risen to 18k from £16200 in the past 3 months. only paid 21k 2 1/2 years ago with 25k on the clock.

I was shocked when i check the valuation of my car . I purchased from an Audi franchise in May this year for 27.4k , Webuyanycar showed trade in value at 25K - its now showing £27755. even the Missus's Fabia Monte-Carlo has jumped from £6780 September 2020 to £8245 as of this week . a grand less than we paid 2 or more years ago ! crazy

I have an RS3 and WBAC is valuing it at £33,780 based off 60,000 miles.

I have just ordered a brand new 2022 RS3 and I am hoping that my car will be worth the remaining £9k of the deposit when the new car arrives.
However the earliest it will arrive is probably end of December/January (as the builds for that trim start last week of November) but there is clearly a possibility it will go into next Spring. If I sold it now I would have £7k in my pocket but no car.

I am currently at 58,000 miles. I expect to do around 800 miles a month maximum so the minimum my mileage will be come January is 64,000 miles. My balloon payment due next March is £21k. My finance has £26k left on it.

I am watching these used car values carefully. Clearly for me the later the new car arrives the better in terms of remaining finance as long as the values stay strong.
However the fact that my car is pre-WLTP and that the delays are effecting possibly new cars into next year makes me feel quietly confident that I will be fine.

See my ideal plan here is a simple swap - give them my current car and I get that £9k equity which takes care of my deposit and drive away having paid nothing more with lower monthly payments on a brand new RS3.

Reactions: NevMan
Should work out fine for you mate, and I would say even more so as you have an RS already, used values are always strong. Just look at the other YT’rs like TR Hamza and EvilGT flogging their RS3’s for a premium.

If it was me however, and given the new car is on order, I would be very tempted to sell to highest bidder (Motorway, Wizzle, WBAC, Audi Performance dealer etc) sooner rather than later, and pocket the cash and monthlies until the new one arrives. Easier said than done and helps if you have another car in the household of course.

I was shocked when i check the valuation of my car . I purchased from an Audi franchise in May this year for 27.4k , Webuyanycar showed trade in value at 25K - its now showing £27755. even the Missus's Fabia Monte-Carlo has jumped from £6780 September 2020 to £8245 as of this week . a grand less than we paid 2 or more years ago ! crazy
S3 Saloon and Fabia household here.
Mines up £500 after 2 years and 15k miles. Just upgraded her Fabia, only down £1k after 2 years and 22k miles not bad at all. Was due tyres and cam belt so chipped it in for a newer one with their great deal for 2 free services, 2 years warranty, roadside assistance and MOT cover.

I have an RS3 and WBAC is valuing it at £33,780 based off 60,000 miles.

I have just ordered a brand new 2022 RS3 and I am hoping that my car will be worth the remaining £9k of the deposit when the new car arrives.
However the earliest it will arrive is probably end of December/January (as the builds for that trim start last week of November) but there is clearly a possibility it will go into next Spring. If I sold it now I would have £7k in my pocket but no car.

I am currently at 58,000 miles. I expect to do around 800 miles a month maximum so the minimum my mileage will be come January is 64,000 miles. My balloon payment due next March is £21k. My finance has £26k left on it.

I am watching these used car values carefully. Clearly for me the later the new car arrives the better in terms of remaining finance as long as the values stay strong.
However the fact that my car is pre-WLTP and that the delays are effecting possibly new cars into next year makes me feel quietly confident that I will be fine.

See my ideal plan here is a simple swap - give them my current car and I get that £9k equity which takes care of my deposit and drive away having paid nothing more with lower monthly payments on a brand new RS3.
If I was you I would take WBAC offer as that is stupidly good money for a Rs3 with that mileage

Reactions: Chris4410, Bells and NevMan
If I was you I would take WBAC offer as that is stupidly good money for a Rs3 with that mileage

I’d agree seems like a very strong price compared to prices of used cars available on the market

Reactions: Mr Freeze and NevMan
I’d agree seems like a very strong price compared to prices of used cars available on the market
Whilst it is a good price - right now it would work out to be £7k in my pocket and no car!

I will keep my eye on the used car prices and if they start going down will consider it BUT lets be honest the new car market is going to have the same issue well into next year and as stated my car is an RS so that helps me…

If I recall back several months ago before the uptick it valued my car at around £23k - now if it was still worth that when it is time to swap my car over that would still be £2K in equity leaving me with £7k to pay but I expect that it will be worth more than that even if it did go down and that saves me lots of hassle. And of course I know that should the car arrive and I need a bit of help to get to the deposit amount they might be inclined to add some discount. So for the time being I am waiting to see what happens.

But it is definitely uncertain - uncertain what my car will be worth and when the new one will actually arrive!

Guyz got to https://motorway.co.uk/ and do your car price ...
Estimated price for my car
I still would ask 10K for my car I invested quite a bit after purchase ... :)

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 69
Prices seem to be holding up, as predicted.

I was prompted to return to this thread by seeing a 2018 bog-standard (non-Tech pack) S3 priced at an Audi dealership for... £34k. That seems like a bit of an outlier, but my own car (with Tech Pack) is still attracting online buyer offers over what I paid for it in April this year at around £27k, suggesting that traders think that a 3-4 year old S3 is going to be sold at ~£30k.

Discounts of 5-10% still seem achievable on new VAG factory car orders, but with waiting times so long and new prices rising I do think we'll see these used prices hold up for a while to come.

• Wow
Have recently seen a 2013 Sportback S-Line 150 TDi with Tech Pack and 50k miles on a forecourt for £13,450.

I was prompted to return to this thread by seeing a 2018 bog-standard (non-Tech pack) S3 priced at an Audi dealership for... £34k. That seems like a bit of an outlier, but my own car (with Tech Pack) is still attracting online buyer offers over what I paid for it in April this year at around £27k, suggesting that traders think that a 3-4 year old S3 is going to be sold at ~£30k.

Discounts of 5-10% still seem achievable on new VAG factory car orders, but with waiting times so long and new prices rising I do think we'll see these used prices hold up for a while to come.
I got offered £27500 for mine at Manchester Audi last weekend I asked out of curiosity what price he would put it up at and he said 32/34 k some where around that figure . Private is the way to go at the moment but its a bit of a pain in the ****

I got offered £27500 for mine at Manchester Audi last weekend I asked out of curiosity what price he would put it up at and he said 32/34 k some where around that figure . Private is the way to go at the moment but its a bit of a pain in the ****
Whats WBAC and motorway coming out at against stealer part ex?

In 2018 I paid less that £34k for my new S3 with SS seats, red callipers, privacy, in white, worlds gone nuts.

Reactions: Mr Freeze
In 2018 I paid less that £34k for my new S3 with SS seats, red callipers, privacy, in white, worlds gone nuts.
Crazy times . I ended up getting mine for £35k after a lot of haggling in march 2019 .
Ara blue , Tech pack , ss seats , interior design pack . I bet I could get around £30k back if I sold private . I was offered £27500 last weekend trade .

Looks like prices are dropping. Mines dropped £800 on WBAC in last couple weeks.

Looks like prices are dropping. Mines dropped £800 on WBAC in last couple weeks.
I think it's affected by area as well as mine has risen again to 18k after dropping to £17250. Considering I bought it for £19600 2 1/2 years ago and put 20k on the clock I'm chuffed , 15 months time my balloon payment is £8650 and the car is mine .