RIP Steering Rack

AudiLeon

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
After the successful replacement of my power steering pump 2 weeks ago.
The rack decided to blow it's guts out of the drivers side of the rack last night.

Reactions: spartacus 68
Oh you're not havng fun huh, what you reckons done that?

I think it's a combination of wrong fluids over the years, 167k and the new pump being actually effective.

Got a new rack already but got alot on over the next month so asked my local garage for a price to fit it. Anything over £100 i'll take 2 days holiday off next week and do it my self.

It's around 5 hrs work on a driveway taking your time. No idea what a garage would charge you. But i bet you'll be taking 2 days off shortly,lol

You're probably right.
Problem is my track rod ends are truely corroded stuck. So it might be a cae of book it in to have that sorted and i'll do the rack my self.

I was about to say lol, £100 to replace a rack, done it myself a its no easy job even on an 8P, subframe dropped, etc plus alignment has to be done on 8P anyway, very optimistic, check your holidays for the year lol

its a fiddley job mate, but its only nuts and bolts and a bit of pushing and pulling, when i broke a B7, we pulled it out from the driver side wheel arch,

id advise you to leave the old track rod ends on and get some new ones and fit them to the new rack and save your self a load of time,

take photos and let is see how you get on,

Been sorting a few things and looks like I'll start work on it tonight. At the end of the day it doesn't matter how long it takes. As it's not going anywhere lol

It's not a job I find daunting. I'm happy to do it, it's just the ball ache of these stuck track rod ends. But I'm borrowing the impact gun from work and going to pull it through tonight and see how it goes.

Last edited:
Been sorting a few things and looks like I'll start work on it tonight. At the end of the day it doesn't matter how long it takes. As it's not going anywhere lol

It's not a job I find daunting. I'm happy to do it, it's just the ball ache of these stuck track rod ends. But I'm borrowing the impact gun from work and going to pull it through tonight and see how it goes.

wont you be putting new track rod ends onto the new rack ?

Jesus.. good luck being there and doing it tonight :thumbsup:

Right rack is nearly out. Took 2 hours to get it all to the point where it's ready to pull out.
Trying to work out if i need to take the spring and strut off to get the rack out?

I'll pop the new one in tomorrow.

All sorted now. Up and running.
As Turkster said strut off does help. I clamped up the springs, compressed them and undid the 3 bolts from the top so i could drop the unit and move it just enough.

Thank you everyone for your advice and help.

I'll knock a quick how 2 later on, i'll make use of other guides on the net and add my own findings to try and give better advice to people.

Got it tracked up today. He raid 4.5mm out at the rear and 5mm out on the front. I always thought it was degrees but not to worry. £45 quid for 4 whee lazer alignment and it feels LOTS better.

Camber angle is degrees :)

I booked my lemans trip yesterday if that classes as hot?