RIP Audi a3 :((

max9650

Reaction score
Today I went to go spend my xmas money only to return with no car or shopping :(

Lady decided to pull out of a junction right infront of me and I couldn't stop intime :(

She said its difficault to see black cars and her MOT expired last month the police told me.. So I don't know what the future holds.. I expect they wont pay out and ill be left with nothing..

Do u guys think it will be a write-off? I don't know how these things work ive never been in an accident before

Bit difficult from that picture to see how extensive the damage is, but it looks like a bumper, wing, bonnet and xenon headlight minimum which may well write off. Is much damaged behind bumper? Intercooler, crash bar, suspension, wheel etc?

I don't know I couldn't face looking at it.. its been left at the side of the road until tomorrow, heres another pic.. ps its not a xenon Cheers

By the looks of the way front is lining up too I'd say front panel may be gone too... I no wat it feels like mate... I had a bad one 7 weeks ago but I was in a 306 which was a complete write off as was ur mans Octavia...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388102935820010
That was mine

Seen lesser damaged cars written off. Her Mot being out won't effect your claim as hervinsurer can't. remove cover to third parties (you), they may pay you out then attempt to recover the costs from her though. Assuming. of course there is no argument as to fault for the prang

Seen lesser damaged cars written off. Her Mot being out won't effect your claim as hervinsurer can't. remove cover to third parties (you), they may pay you out then attempt to recover the costs from her though. Assuming. of course there is no argument as to fault for the prang

Thankyou I hope so.. well the pictures I got show a 1000 words and I have 2 witnesses. will keep this updated.. cheers all

Unlucky mate, main thing is you are ok, I'm guessing it's more than likely going to be written off looking at the pics! Make sure you fight your corner and get a reasonable payout to replace like for like!

With damage at that point on the front wing the end of the slam panel will definitely be broken, being a pre facelift car I'd almost certainly assume that'll be a write off from an insurance point of view, but as a private job it should be very easily fixed for little money using second hand parts.

gutted mate know how you feel, as Jo said, dont accept the insurance companies first offers!

Like prawn said, if your heart is set on keeping the car then it is fixable but insurance will probably write it off and try and fob you off with a crap payment, fight your corner and you'll get a much better one.
She'll get shagged by her insurance company for not having a mot but won't affect any pay out you get from them.

Thanks guys it's getting picked up Thursday and I have to fill in the scap part of the v5 seems it's going to kent (2hrs away) is this normal I'm hoping its a good sign..

Like prawn said, if your heart is set on keeping the car then it is fixable but insurance will probably write it off and try and fob you off with a crap payment, fight your corner and you'll get a much better one.
She'll get shagged by her insurance company for not having a mot but won't affect any pay out you get from them.

I loved the car but after what's happened to it I'm not really interested.. I want another 1.8t wuattro but getting one lowish mileage u can nearly get an s3 so that's a strong possibility

if your heart isn't in to that car then go for a s3! i could have picked one up for the amount i spent on my a3, just couldn't afford the insurance, was quite reasonable on the a3 but s3 was ridiculous.

if your heart isn't in to that car then go for a s3! i could have picked one up for the amount i spent on my a3, just couldn't afford the insurance, was quite reasonable on the a3 but s3 was ridiculous.

I'm not sure I don't have anything against the 1.8T Quattro but they are really rare now, and so I will struggle to find another decent one I imagine, and after what ive gone through with this one, I just want rid of it to be honest. will have to see how things unfold in the coming weeks

Thats why i've stuck with mine, was on 80k when i got it, was good mileage for the age so trying to keep it in tip top shape, just kind of scared of plowing loads of cash in to it sorting the body work up then having some muppet smash in to it

Hi all,

The blower in our A3 is working at full whack but all I get is a hissing/whistling from behind the dash. Not a lot of air through the vents!

I assume one of the flaps is jammed or similar, but has anyone else had this problem before?

Thanks, Max

Well first off you shouldn't worry about the insurance side of things, as said above her insurance company will still cover the damage/pay out to your vehicle and any other costs eg personal injury claim/hire car

In terms of if your vehicle is a write off...on a glance at those pictures above I'd say it was. The parts they will be pricing up to replace are all going to be Audi prices and then the labour to fit and spray them won't be cheap either. So if/when that equates to over 40%-50% of your vehicle value then the majority of insurers will just write if off and give you the option in buying it back or a full pay out.

Well first off you shouldn't worry about the insurance side of things, as said above her insurance company will still cover the damage/pay out to your vehicle and any other costs eg personal injury claim/hire car

In terms of if your vehicle is a write off...on a glance at those pictures above I'd say it was. The parts they will be pricing up to replace are all going to be Audi prices and then the labour to fit and spray them won't be cheap either. So if/when that equates to over 40%-50% of your vehicle value then the majority of insurers will just write if off and give you the option in buying it back or a full pay out.

Thankyou for your post, I have rejected to have a hire car at the moment as was worried about not getting a payout due to the police officer making me worry about her MOT :( they are phoning me Monday to go though some things so I should know abit more then. Thanks all

Last edited:
I would of still taken the hire car... That's not gonna affect you in any way at all... Her insurance company still has to pay out be it with mot or not.. She's still insured and in the wrong... That's my 2 cents but stand to be corrected

Reactions: max9650 and sportquattro
Thankyou, I did decide to go with the hire car in the end, I spoke to admiral today and they said I shouldn't worry about no MOT, and the hire company phoned the insurance company I am claiming off, and they said I wont matter to the 3rd party, so im very pleased and should be receiving an Astra :sadlike: tomorrow lol.

my insurance company also phoned me today to say that the insurer we are claiming off, arnt taking any incoming claims at the moment due to a backlog :/ but they will phone weekly to try and put it though :/ might be sometime..

They are also saying its almost defiantly a write-off.

I know its impossible to say but what sort of payout do you think i'm looking at for a 2000 reg 1.8T Quattro on 93k, Standard with FSH etc

I paid 2000 for it 3 months ago with receipt but my family thinks ill get 800-900 which is making my skin crawl

if you have a receipt of 2k then stick to your guns and dont take any less, the crash wasn't your fault so wouldn't worry to much about pay out,

but find similar audi a3's with spec, mileage, history, price etc and this will help fight your corner.
regarding price payout

they will write it off unless u want do a deal with them.
take the money and buy another one.

If you're not happy with the payout offered refuse it. They don't like it, but they will play ball. Years ago I built an XR2i up, spent a lot of time taking the 1600cc CVH up to 130bhp. Had a day at Brunters with Performance Ford doing a shoot, saddly a fortnight later somebody drove straight into the back of it in the lanes. (Excuse the plate, it was my ex's nickname for it)

Cheeky sods sent me a cheque for £500. After a few months of arguements a threat to the insurance ombudsman secured a payout of £2,800 and I made a further £1,000 or so stripping it.

Do not be afraid to fight your corner

Reactions: max9650
Thankyou, I did decide to go with the hire car in the end, I spoke to admiral today and they said I shouldn't worry about no MOT, and the hire company phoned the insurance company I am claiming off, and they said I wont matter to the 3rd party, so im very pleased and should be receiving an Astra :sadlike: tomorrow lol.

Glad you got the hire car sorted.

As said above, make sure you fight your corner in the pay out, however after they have advised of the first pay out offer then they are inclined to take the courtesy car back so you could end up without a vehicle for a few weeks if the 'debate' over how much the vehicle is worth goes on for some time.

Thankyou I don't want to be greedy I just think that 2k is a acceptable price and I doubt I'd be able to get ken like that at 2k from a trader, supposedly I've got the courtsey car until I recieve a payout but well see, cheers

i have my courtesy car for ten days after they send the cheque

Just a small update, 3rd party has accepted liability so waiting for an offer from insurance anyday now :eek: they have said my 500 excess will be coming out of the money and that I have to claim it back off her insurance again.. Big pain and means I'm very unlikely to be able to afford another a3 similar spec until I get by excess back :/

Claiming the excess from her insurers shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I assume you have legal expenses on your policy?

If so then get in touch with them if you haven't already and get them to chase it up ASAP mate- they have all the forms and correct procedures in place already at their disposal to request that money back from the third party insurers

yes but I didn't expect to have to claim back my excess so Ive only just delt with it today :(