Revo

6andy69

Reaction score
Just a quick question, i was looking to get my car chipped/rempapped by revo or get a bluefin for the A3 tdi (140), how ever my friend had a fabia vrs (went from 130 to 180bhp) and the turbo blown twice ending up with a new engine! are the audi engines able to cope with the extra power as i drive my car quite hard evey day and dont want this to happen.

Thanks

revo'd my 05 2.0T Q since new with no problems at all, not sure about diesel though.

I assume Audi don't make their own turbos therefore they are just as prone to failure as those bolted on by any other car maker.

i could see how much it cost to upgrade the turbo and then get it remapped, i guess audi use a different turbo for there 170bhp tdi engine.

2.0 tdi is reputadely good for 185bhp with no other modifications so use one of the reputable tuners and all should be well assuming you treat your car well, eg) let it warm up prior to thrashing.

I've had 3 x 2.0tdi bluefinned with zero issues and like to enjoy the performance on offer your pal may have just been unlucky or had a particularly 'peaky' map written, I know a guy on here has covered 130K in his mapped diesel with no issues, use decent fuel/oil and get it serviced on time = Greater reliability.

Either way its got to be done its such a difference and a crime not to.

Very often people don't allow the turbo to cool down before turning off the engine. I always allow about 1-2 minutes as a minimum to let the turbo settle down to a reasonable temperature before turning the car off. Very often I drive the last couple of miles very conservatively to warm down the car. If you don't this can also lead to undue stress on the turbo.

warrencox said:
Very often people don't allow the turbo to cool down before turning off the engine. I always allow about 1-2 minutes as a minimum to let the turbo settle down to a reasonable temperature before turning the car off. Very often I drive the last couple of miles very conservatively to warm down the car. If you don't this can also lead to undue stress on the turbo.

Yes, this is crucial and easily enforced for me as I have to drive over 13 speed humps just to get home each day, i just chill and let the car cool down.

This is a habit I formed way back in the days of a Renault 5 turbo :)

warrencox said:

What you say is very important for petrol engines. However, diesels run at much lower temperatures and the advice is less relevant for standard output engines. For any remapped version allowing the turbo an idling period would be very worthwhile and would reduce the likelyhood of failure.

If the stock engine is good for the 170 version from the factory it will be no issue whatsoever.

warrencox said:

Ditto, I have a 5min cool down period after a hard drive.

If the stock engine is good for the 170 version from the factory it will be no issue whatsoever.

The 170 is not a remapped 140, it's a completely different engine and Revo are claiming it can now be remapped to around 205-220 bhp as standard.

Spin140 said:
This is a habit I formed way back in the days of a Renault 5 turbo :)

god my mate has had several 5's and we spent the majoirty of our weekends fixing them, awesome little cars though

warrencox said:

I read somewhere recently that the S3 pumps coolant/oil (cant remember which) in reverse through the turbo once the engine has been turned off, to help cool it down anyway.

The was in a VAG document uploaded on here a few weeks ago

rob1210 said:
The 170 is not a remapped 140, it's a completely different engine and Revo are claiming it can now be remapped to around 205-220 bhp as standard.

mmmm! I thought it was the same motor with different map to produce 170. What is different? I would be interested to find out!

N8KOW said:
I've been told leaving 10 mins to let the turbo warm up cool down, prelongs the life of the turbo as well...

I would probably say that 10 mins is a bit excessive, however a 1-2 min idle is good for any turbo-charged car. And NEVER blip the throttle just before you turn the engine off; it can spin the turbo up to 35,000 rpm or more and then you cut the oil supply! The bearings in a turbo after all are fluid = engine oil! On all TFSI engines (not sure about diesels) there is an auxillary coolant pump that does run for a certain period after the engine is turned off hot. S3s versions tend not to run that much though...

Could you buy a turbo timer for the diesel, so once remapped you could set the timer for 2 mins after you turn the iginition off. This way it should help the turbo???