REVO Stg1 v APR .............?

MalcB

Reaction score
I have been running REVO Stage 1 on my S3 8P for the last 18 months. Now have an APR dealer locally and was considering my option to change to ARP. I would welcome any comments or experiences you may have.

I don't know much about stage 1/2 comparisons between the two, but I do know at stage 2+ that there has been a handful of people disappointed with the Revo software.

It's all about the power delivery and drive-ability of the car after it's been mapped, rather than the figures from a dyno lottery, however when some Revo owners have only been getting 330bhp at stage 2+, which is 30bhp less then APRs (and custom mapping tuners) gains at this level, then there is clearly something not quite right. It may just be that in these rare cases it was the tuners fault, either in not setting up the map correctly or the RR was incorrectly calibrated, but it could also be down to the software. Others like S3Alex have found that Revo have not updated their S3 8P maps for several years now whereas APR are still working on them.

Revo and APR are the most expensive maps available and as you've already had to spend several hundred for the Revo stage 1, upgrading to stage 2 and 2+ will now only cost you £60 at each stage (excluding the garages labour charge), whereas if you now changed to APR, then you would have to pay full price again. So really it depends on your budget and how far you want to go i.e stage 2+ or 3 with bigger turbo etc. To be honest I'd probably just carry on with Revo and see if you're happy with your gains at each stage, if you aren't and haven't got it RR to see what figures it is at, then get this done and go to APR if you think you could still get more out of it.

Reactions: S. and S3Alex
Aside from how the map is set up in terms of boost delivery,there won't be much difference in power etc,but the way the boost is delivered can lead to it feeling faster.

Unless you're getting a very good deal to swap,I'm not sure I'd bother,as it's not going to be a huge percentage difference.

If it's a swap to Stg2/2+ software,there will be a big difference,and as HHS3 says,there is a perception that Revo have let things slip a bit.

Reactions: HHS3
Cheers I appreciate your comments. Will probably stick with REVO. Seems to do the job well enough.

Reactions: Revo Steve-W
Cheers I appreciate your comments. Will probably stick with REVO. Seems to do the job well enough.

I think that's probably the point.....it does the job well enough but it's not exceptional,and I think you need the custom tuners for that.

Revo did me well until the point where they wouldn't update the Stg3/4maps,and then I moved to a different platform,

Have to agree. I had a custom mapping done on the rollers back in my Scooby days. The guy spent a couple of hours running up tweaking then running up again until he was happy. Resulted in a Very quick drivable car.

As S3Alex says you should be fine with Revo to be honest mate, I just thought I'd make you aware of those few cases where some people weren't happy. The fact is Revo aren't supporting the S3 8P as much as they have done in the past but their software still works great nonetheless and the amount it would cost you to go APR (if they don't offer discount) wouldn't really be worthwhile.

I'm upgrading to Revo stage 2 within the next month and then it will at least be a year or two until I save up enough funds for the hardware to go stage 2+ and depending on my financial position then, I'll either pay £60 to upgrade to stage 2+ with Revo or £400 for custom mapping to get the most out of it all.

Reactions: S. and S3Alex
Why do you not ask APR the question?
If they keen on converting you, they might do a deal. At the moment APR has a software sale on.
Originally, I had APR stage 1+ at 327 bhp, 337 ft lbs. This includes a hpfp. Autotech internals are the cheapest way forward.
You could do this anyway and have the Revo map tweaked as a cheaper way forward. The hpfp allows the mid range torque to be increased.

Reactions: S3Alex
Why do you not ask APR the question?
If they keen on converting you, they might do a deal. At the moment APR has a software sale on.
Originally, I had APR stage 1+ at 327 bhp, 337 ft lbs. This includes a hpfp. Autotech internals are the cheapest way forward.
You could do this anyway and have the Revo map tweaked as a cheaper way forward. The hpfp allows the mid range torque to be increased.

That would be the deal of the century price wise but as you say,worth a try.

Nothing lost by trying.