Revo stage 1?

RS3Nathan

Reaction score
Hi, I collected my new RS3 on Friday and I absolutely love it. I am however keen for more power coming from 560bhp in my M5 that its replacing.

Has anyone had stage 1 Revo yet? I am just wondering if it will be as good as I am hoping?

Thanks,

Nathan

The tuning boxes seem to generate the most power at the moment, 435 ish. There is a MTM package just about to come out at 450 though.

TX.

435? Wow. I am hearing some good things about the DTUK boxes. I'm not sure what to do now, I was fairly convinced on Revo as i've had it on a few cars before and been really impressed. It's a bit too early to read reviews on the different options right now :-/

Remaps will trigger a flag with Audi at service time which may have warranty implications. Just depends if warranty is important to you of course.

TX.

Ah right. Yes it is important to me Will the DTUK box not trigger this same flag? Assuming you would remove the DTUK box and similarly reset the Revo map back to standard with the SPS controller?

Resetting the map won't help as the flag is triggered each time the ECU is altered. The boxes are separate from the ECU so can be removed with no flag. Monopole doesn't post here any more but installed the MTM box days after purchase!

TX.

Is there any difference in the way these boxes increase the engines power compared to the revo remap? Or are they both using the same method just a different way of applying it?

For some reason, to me, the tuning box just seems like a cheats way of achieving the power, like a dodgy rewire, the remap seems like a genuine way of achieving it, doing it more like the manufacturer would increase the power in a higher model up the range using the same engine. I'm not very technically minded and genuinely don't understand how they work. I'm hoping to be educated as I like the idea of protecting the warranty.

The tuning box basically tricks the ECU into making more power, an remap fine tunes tables within the ECU to make more power, you can dial in power more smoothly and iron out any inconstancies with a remap and also remove limiters of torque or top speed with a remap also.
From what I've seen on various new platforms a remap seems to give better power delivery and the ability to maintain it at the top end, the tune boxes give the flexibility to remove at will and remain 'undetected'
So it's a trade off

Thanks, great info. What a tough decision though :sadlike:

What are others doing with their spanking new RS3's?

Thanks, great info. What a tough decision though :sadlike:

What are others doing with their spanking new RS3's?

Get a copy of Audi Tuner this month as it has a nice review of the DTUK box and for me it was quite satisfying to the point I think I will go down this road as apose to a remap.

Reactions: Daniel McCormick
Id be very wary of all these offerings, that claim to put out 450bhp etc, without real dyno figures... I had the ABT (430bhp) unit in my car for a few days, as a test, and asked them to remove it, because there was truly minimal difference... the torque curve felt the same, with maybe slightly more in the top end... my vbox confirmed a 0.1 second difference to 100km/h. Autobild also confirmed a 0.3 second difference from 0-200...which is nothing. By comparison, I have the DTUK box and a custom box, locally, and they are box so much faster than the ABT box... I will vbox them now that I am back home...

Reactions: elton121272
APR will be releasing something soon also, would keep your eyes peeled for that too

The tuning boxes seem to generate the most power at the moment, 435 ish. There is a MTM package just about to come out at 450 though.

TX.

The MTM pakcage that gives 450 is a flash.

The MTM tuning box generates 435.

I will go for the MTM box as we also have it in the S3 but look at torque numbers between flash and box.

Love the graph from the flash.

regards

Ordered DTUK box today - Andrew said a new couple of maps were being made available tomorrow so I opted to wait for those updates being flashed to the box before sending out today with map 1, zero.

Car only got 700 miles on the clock and being detailed right now so can wait for her this weekend to be tested once she reaches the 1k mark.

Reactions: T-800
Cheers for all the info guys, I must admit I'm really confused which option to go for now. Initially I had my heart set on Revo but now there are all these other options with all their pros and cons confused.com

Guys,

The curves provided by MTM are dubious at best... considering a) the Box puts out only 2kw at the wheels less than the flash, but somehow that constitutes 14kw at the flywheel b) its showing 255-260bhp at the wheels equates to 430-440bhp...

Stock is around 295-315bhp at the wheels... and tuned, ive seen 355-365bhp... which would equate something closer to 430-450bhp.

Also, they quote 14.xx to 200... and 14.8 stock... considering there are guys doing 12.xx with stage 1s, this would also indicate a red flag, as to the real power... in the same way the ABT unit only acheived 14.5 seconds.

It turns out I have won the free Revo remap from the Autosport show :yahoo:

So I think that may have made my mind up for me. I will report back with my views once its installed if anyone is interested.

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus, elton121272, Spaceman_RS3 and 3 others
Congratulations. We look forward to your thoughts on it. :) x

It turns out I have won the free Revo remap from the Autosport show :yahoo:

So I think that may have made my mind up for me. I will report back with my views once its installed if anyone is interested.

You have it installed by now I hope..?
I am very interested in how you found/find it as I am in exactly the same dilemma as you were - warranty!

I'm running Revo. Personally I'll never use a tuning box again. It was nothing more than jerky power delivery and excess soot out the tailpipes that I had to clean after every drive.

I had an S3 8V prior to this that also ran Revo. Initially had a DTUK. While it did add some juice, the second I switched from the DTUK to the Revo, the diff in power and how it was delivered was night and day. You simply cannot replicate that by just increasing boost like a tuning box does.

All a tuning box really does it adjust boost through increased fueling. If you want a proper tune you need to head down the real ECU flash route.

But, depends on what you want. You want to play it safe-er? Go down a tuning box path. Although trust me, if you blow a turbo or something, an Audi tech from HQ will visit the dealer and do a full review on the car. They'll plug it in to their systems and still see the times the boost and power were increased past the normal numbers the stock car puts out. TD1 or not, they'll void your warranty.

You wanna play? You gotta pay!

I wouldn't use a tuning box again either. Had one on my S3 8V and it was just crap! Very Jerky and eventually I needed to get new injectors as my car broke down which I'm sure was a result from the tuning box. Now I have gone down the route of an APR map on my RS3 8V and has been phenomenal. Huge power increase and very smooth delivery!

Thanks Con and Scotty - much as I was thinking that the best way is to actually get into the software rather than guide it. I just need to make a call re the warranty.

Reactions: Scotty2011
Thanks Con and Scotty - much as I was thinking that the best way is to actually get into the software rather than guide it. I just need to make a call re the warranty.

I've had a think about this with regards to warranty and a remap, as much as the extra power would be phenomenal I have at the moment concluded on... if I'm having to worry about losing the warranty due to maintenance costs, don't void it.

Those who are stripping the engine back to the block and rebuilding could obviously afford a rebuild, those of us wanting to use it everyday probably wouldn't be as able to fork out a few grand if something catastrophic were to happen.. haha. I know of someone who had an engine put in an RS4, I'm sure he said the figure was around £8000... hmm..!!

Fyi some stock cars were on the drag strip this weekend running 12.2 and 12.1's!

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Id be very wary of all these offerings, that claim to put out 450bhp etc, without real dyno figures... I had the ABT (430bhp) unit in my car for a few days, as a test, and asked them to remove it, because there was truly minimal difference... the torque curve felt the same, with maybe slightly more in the top end... my vbox confirmed a 0.1 second difference to 100km/h. Autobild also confirmed a 0.3 second difference from 0-200...which is nothing. By comparison, I have the DTUK box and a custom box, locally, and they are box so much faster than the ABT box... I will vbox them now that I am back home...

As ba45 has stated above, after an experience with tuning boxes this past few week's, I would STRONGLY recommend that if you opt for one of these, then ensure you get a BEFORE and AFTER dyno figure for your car. Try to stand there and watch it being done so that you can see the LIVE DATA it produces in front of your eyes. You may be surprised (but not in a positive way) with the results. Trading standards could have a field day with some of the claimed power outputs of tuning boxes when compared to what the standard car actually puts out.

As ba45 has stated above, after an experience with tuning boxes this past few week's, I would STRONGLY recommend that if you opt for one of these, then ensure you get a BEFORE and AFTER dyno figure for your car. Try to stand there and watch it being done so that you can see the LIVE DATA it produces in front of your eyes. You may be surprised (but not in a positive way) with the results. Trading standards could have a field day with some of the claimed power outputs of tuning boxes when compared to what the standard car actually puts out.

And make sure you dyno it on the EXACT SAME DYNO both times. No two dynos will ever give the same results.

Guys,

The curves provided by MTM are dubious at best... considering a) the Box puts out only 2kw at the wheels less than the flash, but somehow that constitutes 14kw at the flywheel b) its showing 255-260bhp at the wheels equates to 430-440bhp...

Stock is around 295-315bhp at the wheels... and tuned, ive seen 355-365bhp... which would equate something closer to 430-450bhp.

Also, they quote 14.xx to 200... and 14.8 stock... considering there are guys doing 12.xx with stage 1s, this would also indicate a red flag, as to the real power... in the same way the ABT unit only acheived 14.5 seconds.

Here's a short vid of my car (the white one) at Santa Pod last weekend. It is totally standard with around 3K miles on the clock. The other car has done around 8.5k miles and has got a popular branded tuning box fitted (a brand that's been mentioned on these threads). Two other standard cars in our group also ran low 12's.
The owner of the orange car has said that he can feel the difference with the box fitted and said the car feels fast (maybe a placebo effect??), however, the recent dyno results showed something different!

The Santa Pod run proved what we suspected - absolutely nothing in it at 12.3/12.2 (pretty quick for standard cars though) In fact, I realised at the end that I was doing my runs with the extra weight of 3/4 tank of fuel! (my best excuse for getting beat by a tenth:happy:). The drive back home also proved that his car could not out run my standard car on the road either. So where is all this extra power he can 'feel'?

The new Bosch ECU on the RS3 8V is a very advanced piece of kit, trying to fool it with some resistors and electronics in a box does not seem to GENUINELY deliver the real world on the road numbers that are touted for these tuning boxes.

IMO, anyone who is considering going for a tuning box or a Revo, APR or whatever other tuners offerings, should always have a before and after dyno or live data logging to make sure that your car is running as it should, and is actually delivering the power and torque you are expecting to see for your cash!
As proven at SP last weekend, 'feeling fast' does not necessarily transpose into extra speed!

IMO tuning boxes can work dependant upon platform. They can provide power increases that can be backed up, say for instance down the drag strip (better times and increased trap speeds). However, it is clearly apparent that some solutions don't always provide what is advertised, but I wouldn't tar them all with the same "no actual performance increase" brush. My opinion based on the testing I have previously done, albeit not the on the RS3 8V platform. :)

Are they as good as a remap.... imo NO. That doesn't make them a bad option though for some people (platform and box map dependant).

I have a tuning box on my Golf R and it categorically puts out increased power with the times to prove. Perhaps the tuning box just doesn't work too well with the RS3.

Of course, a remap is always going to be better. But it's also more likely to be discovered in the event of a warranty claim.