Revo Stage 1

gilberto

Reaction score
Few questions regarding Revo stage 1, can anyone help regarding the following:

Is mapping an S3 to Revo stage 1 a complex process or does the tuner just load a map to the ecu?

Is a rolling road required to tweak the map?

Does it matter who's used to instal the software if it's just a case of plug and play?

I've had various cars remapped but i've always had them mapped on a rolling road but from what i've read you don't need a rolling road to map a Revo stage 1.

Cheers

James

Hi mate, plenty written about Revo and ECU programming....Do your research on the forum and find out for yourself..

Technically I think it is a plug and play, although customisable via the same settings you get on the REVO Select switches.

Most REVO dealers will do before and after health checks, some will rolling road. I had mine done at the garage I bought car from, they didn't RR the car as they don't have a RR. I didn't ask what settings they put on - but I'd guess the generic settings that REVO advise.

Best to ask local dealers what they do for the money.

I had it mapped yesterday, but the car wasn't rolling roaded and to be honest it's the first mapped i've had that i've been underwhelmed with. I'm wondering if the settings would have benefitted from tweaking on a rolling road or maybe there's an underlying problem with the car.

Few questions regarding Revo stage 1, can anyone help regarding the following:

Is mapping an S3 to Revo stage 1 a complex process or does the tuner just load a map to the ecu?

Is a rolling road required to tweak the map?

Does it matter who's used to instal the software if it's just a case of plug and play?

I've had various cars remapped but i've always had them mapped on a rolling road but from what i've read you don't need a rolling road to map a Revo stage 1.

Cheers

James

Hi James.....there are a few things worth considering.

Firstly,the car will adapt over a few days after the mapping,and may feel a bit more responsive after that time,but also,a good tuner should set the car up both on a rolling road,and by logging it on the open road,so to speak.

There are a number of parameters that can be used to make the car feel more aggressive,and your tuner may well have set it up with generic figures as he doesn't have access to a RR.

If the boost is set up to come in quickly,then it will feel more aggressive,but may not actually be much quicker on a run.

Hi James.....there are a few things worth considering.

Firstly,the car will adapt over a few days after the mapping,and may feel a bit more responsive after that time,but also,a good tuner should set the car up both on a rolling road,and by logging it on the open road,so to speak.

There are a number of parameters that can be used to make the car feel more aggressive,and your tuner may well have set it up with generic figures as he doesn't have access to a RR.

If the boost is set up to come in quickly,then it will feel more aggressive,but may not actually be much quicker on a run.

Cheers Alex, i've asked the tuner to provide the setting details for boost, timing etc. They definitely have a rolling road but chose not to use it, i'll also ask if the car was logged on the open road.

I was told that an agressive map was put on the car but tbh it doesn't feel any different to standard.

Cheers Alex, i've asked the tuner to provide the setting details for boost, timing etc. They definitely have a rolling road but chose not to use it, i'll also ask if the car was logged on the open road.

I was told that an agressive map was put on the car but tbh it doesn't feel any different to standard.

Mine has had Revo's maps from Stg1 to Stg4,and each stage provided a noticeable difference.

Admittedly,going from stock to Stg1 is not a huge step,as you're going from around 260bhp to 310bhp approx,and with a similar rise in torque,but it should feel more responsive,and you should certainly notice the boost(!) in mid-range torque.

I think it's a bit lazy to just load a so called "aggressive" map and not even give you a printout of what's happening,and that's compounded by not setting it up on the RR.

Could it have had a map in before? Would explain if it didn't feel much different.

Mine has had Revo's maps from Stg1 to Stg4,and each stage provided a noticeable difference.

Admittedly,going from stock to Stg1 is not a huge step,as you're going from around 260bhp to 310bhp approx,and with a similar rise in torque,but it should feel more responsive,and you should certainly notice the boost(!) in mid-range torque.

I think it's a bit lazy to just load a so called "aggressive" map and not even give you a printout of what's happening,and that's compounded by not setting it up on the RR.

I'll have a chat with the tuner on Monday to see what process they went through mapping it, i've a feeling they've just flashed a map to the ecu.

To have it dyno'ed costs time and money so thats probably why yours was not done.

Last edited:
No, just the remap, i'd asked for one but was told they were on back order.

Where are you? I've got an SPS you can borrow.

Had a spirited drive behind an S5 today and i have to say i was impressed with how the S3 performed. Maybe jumped the gun a bit last week.

Had a spirited drive behind an S5 today and i have to say i was impressed with how the S3 performed. Maybe jumped the gun a bit last week.

Its often a bit quicker than it feels.

I think you're right Alex, it's a really smooth drive compared to other cars i've owned. Deceptively quick.