Revo Stage 1 Remap & Revo Race CAI (Camcoated) Fitted

HHS3

Phantom Black S3 - R-Tech Stage 2+
Reaction score
Hi All,

So I left my S3 with the guys at VAS Motion in Guildford yesterday, I must say that they're great bunch and Gavin the head mechanic is sound, he's very knowledgeable and highly recommended!

I was running Shell V-Power Nitro+ and was booked in to have a Stage 1 Revo Remap, Revo Race CAI (Camcoated) fitted, Cam Follower change, Rev G DV fitted and Quantum Platinum 5W40 Oil change.

I got a call later on in the morning advising me that during the health check, an error had come up with the MAF of which they had fixed, I appreciated being kept up to date.

Picked my car up after work and Gavin went though everything they did with me, the CAI fits nice and snug with the heat shield attached and the Camcoat is a nice touch too. They don't have a RR so it was mapped on the road which I prefer anyway to be honest, I'll just wait till Stage 2+ to do one.

He mentioned that my S3 was running at 230bhp standard which is apparently common on the older S3's (mines 07) where the 2.0 TFSI engines were detuned which I had never heard of before. Interesting to know as there's been a couple of times, one being last week where I raced a 15 plate GTI and was surprised to see that we were neck and neck for a while before I eventually started pulling away in third, so this would explain why.

The improvement is very noticeable at 3000rpm+ as this is when the K04 turbo kicks in and you feel those extra horses pushing in your back and the sound of the CAI is awesome! It's very nice to drive and the torque delivery is spot on, I was keeping up with an M5 on the way home which I was very happy with.

Stage 2+ will definitely be on the cards now but not until next year at the earliest unfortunately. I was going to go with Revo but their gains aren't as good as APR or AMD. The only thing is I'm near Reading and there's no Stage 2+ APR/AMD mappers nearby which is a ballache! I've heard a lot of good things about AMD so I'm tempted to go there, does anyone know if they're open on Saturdays?

Thanks.

Reactions: leshkin and scotty dugg
Interesting to know about the de-tune, now I really need to get a Stage 1 on it!

I was intrigued by this as well because I'd never heard of it before, I find it strange that it was only the older S3 engines which were detuned. Not sure what the reason behind it was (does anyone know?) but it does explain why on some tuner websites like AwesomeGTI (http://www.awesomegti.com/car/audi/s38p/apr-stage-1-remap-2-0t-fsi-ko4-engines) under standard power performance they have 230/240/265/270bhp.

I'd definitely recommend going Stage 1 with one of the reputable tuners, you won't regret! The difference isn't night and day but it's a highly noticeable improvement and it's over 3000rpm when it starts kicking in. Depends on your budget and future plans (Stage 2+ etc.) but I'd definitely go for the Revo CAI as well if you can, as the standard air filter is very restrictive and the sound on the Revo CAI is just plain awesome, especially when booting it!

The s3 should always have 265 horses or around that.
The detuned versions went in Leon cupra and the edition 30, they are the engines that had 230.

Reactions: S.
Stage 2+ will definitely be on the cards now but not until next year at the earliest unfortunately. I was going to go with Revo but their gains aren't as good as APR or AMD. The only thing is I'm near Reading and there's no Stage 2+ APR/AMD mappers nearby which is a ballache! I've heard a lot of good things about AMD so I'm tempted to go there, does anyone know if they're open on Saturdays?

Thanks.

Yes they are...speak to Ben at AMDTuning and he may be able to help you,but what i don't know is if they do mapping on Saturdays.

Since you're near Reading,you may also want to try Storm Developments in Aldermaston,who set up the Syvecs ECU on my car.

Reactions: HHS3
Yes they are...speak to Ben at AMDTuning and he may be able to help you,but what i don't know is if they do mapping on Saturdays.

Since you're near Reading,you may also want to try Storm Developments in Aldermaston,who set up the Syvecs ECU on my car.

Awesome thanks for the information S3Alex.

I saw you wrote on another thread that you've been rating custom mapping recently, I had heard of Storm Developments from an old post on here but now that you said you've used them as well then I will definitely consider them when it comes to Stage 2+.

Are you able to elaborate a little on what work they did for your Syvecs ECU please?

Last edited:
Awesome thanks for the information S3Alex.

I saw you wrote on another thread that you've been rating custom mapping recently, I had heard of Storm Developments from an old post on here but now that you said you've used them as well then I will definitely consider them when it comes to Stage 2+.

Are you able to elaborate a little on what work they did for your Syvecs ECU please?

Sure....

Firstly,I wouldn't recommend this ECU for anyone not using a hybrid or bigger turbo,as you won't get the best from a pretty expensive piece of kit.
Excuse the huge list,but this is what it is capable of...

• Live Tuning of every aspect of the engine’s calibration, including signals sent to the DSG
  • Full Direct Injection and Pump Control
  • 8 Injector Support with 4 Port Injectors
  • Ability to select desired engine map, boost level, traction and launch control levels through steering wheel buttons
  • Fully adjustable Launch control with Anti-lag strategies and Ramp in Maps
  • Full Variable Valve Timing control
  • Flex Fuel control
  • Cruise Control
  • Fully functional with every other Ecu on the Car
  • Closed loop Dual Lambda Control
  • Fully adjustable closed loop boost control with launch level adjustments and trims for turbo speed, air charge, engine coolant temp, exhaust gas temperatures etc
  • Monitor and trimming of exhaust gas temperatures
  • Flat ****
  • Built in data logging using a market leading analysis software of up to 8 hours, with data rates at up to 1000hz
  • Rolling Antilag / Pit lane limiter strategies, great for building boost on a roll
  • Antitheft and valet modes
  • Super fast connection via RJ45 Ethernet port for live tuning anywhere in the world or evenremotely if on track if connected to a wireless unit.
  • Adjustable traction control strategies based on lateral g and individual wheel speed monitoring.
  • 4 programmable and selectable target slip maps. An immediate torque reduction can be applied by the ECU via ignition ****** or a fuel cut.
  • Configurable Engine Safety Trips on all important parameters like oil temperature, oil pressure.
  • Fuel pump control of both main, and sub pumps, as well as Relative fuel pressure monitoring and limiting in the event of fuel pressure dropping on boost.
  • 4 different Pedal to Throttle Angle maps with multipliers for different parameters e.g. speed. Again adjustable via steering wheel buttons
  • Configurable individual cylinder closed loop knock control, to suit any cylinder modification with adjustments to frequency, windows for listening and gains for each cylinder. Ability to trigger full cylinder shutdown in severe knock conditions.
  • Change torque reduction levels on shifts. Essential for very high power applications where the maximum reduction available via the stock ECU is not enough to prevent damage to components
  • Ability to change Torque ramp in after launch
  • Change throttle blip requests to match your torque band. Especially useful on oversized turbo installations.
  • Run up to 7bar map sensors
  • Control high or low impendence injectors
  • Control up to 4 additional injectors for high power installations where staged injection may be required
  • Change injector dead times based on voltage levels for proper control
  • Change injector end angle to ensure injection point is properly calibrated
  • Ability to fit any type of external sensor to monitor and trigger safety trips from anything from crank case pressure to damper position
  • Ability to use any size DBW throttle body e.g. Chevrolet LS7
  • Wet and Dry – Wet and Dry nitrous control with ability to drive solenoids directly and control n20 heaters via pressure monitoring
  • Ability to control any external vehicle features based on sensor inputs e.g. Adjustable rear wing linked to G force or exhaust control valves
  • Connect any race series dash or even one of our partners’ Touchscreen CANBUS adjustment /display units
  • View any input live with built in scope up to 1000hz
  • And much, much more

What Andy from Storm,and Ryan from Syvecs did was to map each of the engine parameters from the CANBUS to the ECU,and then program the ECU to run not only the basic features,but also TC/ALS/LC and boost control.

Mine was the first S3 to have this fitted,and they have since fitted others,and to RS models as well.

Reactions: mister.c.
The improvement is very noticeable at 3000rpm+ ...

Just wait until you get to Stage 2+ or beyond!!! :tongueclosed:

ZkBNJih.gif

Last edited:
Sure....

Firstly,I wouldn't recommend this ECU for anyone not using a hybrid or bigger turbo,as you won't get the best from a pretty expensive piece of kit.
Excuse the huge list,but this is what it is capable of...

What Andy from Storm,and Ryan from Syvecs did was to map each of the engine parameters from the CANBUS to the ECU,and then program the ECU to run not only the basic features,but also TC/ALS/LC and boost control.

Mine was the first S3 to have this fitted,and they have since fitted others,and to RS models as well.

Thanks for the detailed response! That is one comprehensive list, sounds mental! Your car must be a shed tonne of fun to drive, burning people left, right & center haha.

Sounds like these guys really know their stuff then, so I'll definitely be happy with the results if I go with them for a custom Stage 2+ remap.

Just wait until you get to Stage 2+ or beyond!!! :tongueclosed:

Sounds awesome I honestly can't wait, can imagine what an absolute beast she is!

I took it for a proper ragging last night to show my mates and we were all amazed by how well it puts the power down! It was lightly raining, traction control turned off, 1st gear, redlining it, then dumped the clutch (I don't make a habit of this by the way!) with my foot still firmly pinned down on the accelerator and it gripped at 5000rpm (new Michelin PS4's helped) with hardly any wheel-spin and catapulted us off, safe to say I had a huge grin on my face :grin:

Once the novelty of extra power wears off, you should check out a decent coilover set, ARBs and an anti-lift kit with fast road geometry setup - under-steer is virtually gone on my car now - I'd even rate this over power upgrades!

Reactions: S3Alex
Once the novelty of extra power wears off, you should check out a decent coilover set, ARBs and an anti-lift kit with fast road geometry setup - under-steer is virtually gone on my car now - I'd even rate this over power upgrades!

Don't tell me about even more things I should by for my S3! :tongueclosed:

I'm finding it hard enough to accept that it will at least be a year or two until I can afford the 2K to go Stage 2+, let alone buying any more bits!

Thanks for the detailed response! That is one comprehensive list, sounds mental! Your car must be a shed tonne of fun to drive, burning people left, right & center haha.

Sounds like these guys really know their stuff then, so I'll definitely be happy with the results if I go with them for a custom Stage 2+ remap.

Sounds awesome I honestly can't wait, can imagine what an absolute beast she is!

I took it for a proper ragging last night to show my mates and we were all amazed by how well it puts the power down! It was lightly raining, traction control turned off, 1st gear, redlining it, then dumped the clutch (I don't make a habit of this by the way!) with my foot still firmly pinned down on the accelerator and it gripped at 5000rpm (new Michelin PS4's helped) with hardly any wheel-spin and catapulted us off, safe to say I had a huge grin on my face :grin:

Andy certainly does know what he's doing,but you won't get most of the features this ECU offers.

You can get ALS from some tuners,along with LC,but none of the turbo manufacturers,including Owen Developments,will recommend using it.

Andy certainly does know what he's doing,but you won't get most of the features this ECU offers.

You can get ALS from some tuners,along with LC,but none of the turbo manufacturers,including Owen Developments,will recommend using it.

Nice one, good to know cheers Alex.

When the day finally comes to go Stage 2+ then you've saved me a lot of hassle from not having to drive to London. I've just got to be patient now which I'm terrible at doing! :disappointed:

Nice one, good to know cheers Alex.

When the day finally comes to go Stage 2+ then you've saved me a lot of hassle from not having to drive to London. I've just got to be patient now which I'm terrible at doing! :disappointed:

Same here...when I want something,I want it delivered yesterday.

Andy is very quick at replying,and very good at working with a customer to find out what they want.

Same here...when I want something,I want it delivered yesterday.

Andy is very quick at replying,and very good at working with a customer to find out what they want.

As expected, after not even a week, I'm already cartwheeling down the slippery slope you was on about once you go Stage 1!

Whilst Stage 2+ is a long way off, Stage 2 isn't as I already have a CAI meaning all I need is a new downpipe, of which I've already got the BCS Powervalve downpipe and decat with the Power Flex option in mind for £462.

I'm tempted to drop Storm Devs an email to see what they'd quote for fitment and a Stage 2 equivalent remap. I'm happy with my Revo remap from VAS Motion however I'm half wishing I went with Storm first now, as I imagine they would've given discount on the second map.

As expected, after not even a week, I'm already cartwheeling down the slippery slope you was on about once you go Stage 1!
Haha, that was too easy @S3Alex :)

Welcome to the S3 modding junkie club @HHS3 I wonder when talk of hybrid turbo and water meth injection will begin :)

Haha, that was too easy @S3Alex :)

Welcome to the S3 modding junkie club @HHS3 I wonder when talk of hybrid turbo and water meth injection will begin :)

Don't tempt me anymore haha! Only going Stage 1 was the original plan, however I was easily persuaded (by no-one else but myself!) to get the Revo CAI (Camcoated) done at the same time as well. Stage 2+ is now my current goal but who knows how long after that I can suppress the need for more speed!

Last edited: