REVO STAGE 1 = NEW CLUTCH?

nealjohns

Reaction score
really want a stage 1 revo for my s3 but dont want to fork out for a new clutch and possibly flywheel..

so my question is this...

will the clutch definately need replacing or does it depend how i drive it etc..
ie could i get away with the stock clutch

i had a stage 1 im my old leon cupra r and everything was fine(except it couldnt handle the power with stock parts)

I managed about 15K on stock clutch with REVO stage 1.
Car hasnt had a hard life neither.

Just had a new one fitted by AUDI on the very last day of warranty (long story/ pure fluke).
Apparently, OEM clutches fitted to later cars and warranty replacements are stronger units as there are a number of reported standard S3s with failed clutches.
Not a VAG strong point.
AUDI deny this of course, forums suggest otherwise.

That said, some are running Stage 2+ on OEM set up without any real problems.

No definative answer really.

Personally I wouldnt let it stop you, its a lottery, and a stage 1 map makes such a huge diffenece its worth the gamble.

Good luck.

Paul

im running an s3 with mtm stage 2 upgrade around 330 bhp and still on oem clutch no problems .

go for a map car is begging for it

Not neccessarily...some cars and some clutches will do Ok with Stg 2,and some wont.

Mine was Ok on Stg1,and as soon as the torque went up,that was the end of the OEM clutch.

My advice would be to set some cash aside,just in case it gives in,and also to remember that if the clutch goes,the DMF will need replacing as well.

DMF doesn't necessarily need replacing as part of a clutch upgrade - my ed30 is a little over 360bhp and the DMF was perfectly fine when I upgraded to a Helix clutch.

Not neccessarily...some cars and some clutches will do Ok with Stg 2,and some wont.

Mine was Ok on Stg1,and as soon as the torque went up,that was the end of the OEM clutch.

My advice would be to set some cash aside,just in case it gives in,and also to remember that if the clutch goes,the DMF will need replacing as well.

My S3 has done 12k miles on the standard clutch and has been stage 2+ for around 10K miles. No clutch slip yet and the car is driven quite hard.

DMF doesn't necessarily need replacing as part of a clutch upgrade - my ed30 is a little over 360bhp and the DMF was perfectly fine when I upgraded to a Helix clutch.

Same here.
If you replace in early enough the DMF will be ok.

Stage 2 not driven overly hard - 24k on current clutch - been on Revo for 4k miles.

No dramas.

Best £499 I ever spent!!

DO IT.

So taking into consideration the 'potential' risks of melting your clutch, I guess a revo stage 1 is not a wise move/risk for DSG equipped cars?

Just from seeing what many others with DSG are pushing out with no reported problems after several thousand miles, from spending far too much on VAG tuning forums. Some companies are offering uprated DSG clutch packs that can handle over 400 lbft safely now.
Standard clutch is a bit of a lottery, if its a fresh one and not one of ones seemingly made of chocolate then seems to be about 340 ish but only for a few thousand miles before they give up the ghost, and also depends on your driving style. DSG seems to be a safer bet TBH for tuning on if you dont want to replace the clutch on stage 2+.

How long any clutch lasts whether it be stock, stage 1 etc. really is all down to how it is driven, and how often you are pulling away as fast as you can every time, or going for it in 2nd,3rd, clearly the higher the stage the shorter the time the parts will last again with how you drive it.

I think Stage 1 should be fine if you are not flooring it every set of lights and roundabout etc.

Interesting read guys, I am hoping to go stage 1 soon so hope the standard clutch will be OK.

cheers for the input guys...

think thats put my mind at rest..

like you say,paul,its a bit of a gamble on whether it will hold but you think the stage 1 is clearly worth it..

****** now i got to find 500 quid :-/
mrs wont be impressed.it'll be coming out of her xmas present fund...

yeh sounds like its worth the money..
altho just seen the other new thread about the clutch judder and that its connected to the dmf possibly. im sure mine does that a tiny bit.always thought it was normal tho..