REVO stage 1 additional mods?

Johnnyb

Reaction score
Hey

Well im about 5-6 weeks away from getting my new S3 sportback, im gonna try REVO out this time around but wanted to know if additional mods were worth it?

I know that as it is the S3 doesnt realy need any other mods for stage 1 but would a milltek DP and a BMC CDA filter open up the map any more?

I have read all about REVO stage 2 and 2+ and understand what else you need in order to have them set-ups, but for the first year or so im gonna stick to stage 1 and possibly add the few bits mentioned above, am i right in thinking the stock DP is a bit of a weak spot on the S3?

Anyway like i say, im not after the stage 2+ just yet - just wanna have a bit more power than my current S3 (GIAC'ed)

Thanks guys

Johnny

As you have identified Stage 1 is designed as software only and does not need additional hardware, therefore the DP/CAI would seem to be surplus to requirement at that level. Undoubtedly - as would be the same for a stock car - a CAI and DP will provide a power increase, but as far as I understand it the Stage 1 map wouldn't be enhanced by these additions, hence Stage 2. Stage 2 is only £50 more incidentally, just in case you decide to go CAI/DP straight away. ;) I suppose to Kev or Carl would bottom that out for you though if you want the definative: they are both very approachable and well worth contacting; they would also be able to clarify the situation with the DP.

Thanks guys

Well I think that's made my mind up then, gonna stay with stage 1 for prob 9 months or so then add the hardware and stage 2, stage 2+ might just zap my mpg too much as I'm a travelling sales rep and need to keep an eye on that

Thanks again

Thanks guys

Well I think that's made my mind up then, gonna stay with stage 1 for prob 9 months or so then add the hardware and stage 2, stage 2+ might just zap my mpg too much as I'm a travelling sales rep and need to keep an eye on that

Thanks again

Good luck sticking with Stage 1 for 9 mths....I lasted about 2mths before feeling the need for more speed.

MPG may not suffer as much as you think,especially if you use the extra torque sensibly.....mine would just about reach 30mpg in stock form if you drove like a saint,and if you do the same now,36mpg is possible,as you just don't have to stir the engine so much.

Obviously,the reverse is equally true....you can get into the low 20s....

Good luck sticking with Stage 1 for 9 mths....I lasted about 2mths before feeling the need for more speed.

MPG may not suffer as much as you think,especially if you use the extra torque sensibly.....mine would just about reach 30mpg in stock form if you drove like a saint,and if you do the same now,36mpg is possible,as you just don't have to stir the engine so much.

Obviously,the reverse is equally true....you can get into the low 20s....

Well my other question was gonna be - is there a big difference between stage 1 with no hardware mods and stage 2 with DP and CAI ? i dont expect there to be a huge difference but if im spending around 1k id expect a bit more poke.

I think your right Alex i may not last 9 months on stage 1, if i dont what CAI would you recommend? dont want it too loud (been considering Dbilas), and also with the DP would you have a sports cat or cat back? (excuse my ignorance on this, i really dont know much about exhausts, or the difference between the two)

Thanks

Well my other question was gonna be - is there a big difference between stage 1 with no hardware mods and stage 2 with DP and CAI ? i dont expect there to be a huge difference but if im spending around 1k id expect a bit more poke.

I think your right Alex i may not last 9 months on stage 1, if i dont what CAI would you recommend? dont want it too loud (been considering Dbilas), and also with the DP would you have a sports cat or cat back? (excuse my ignorance on this, i really dont know much about exhausts, or the difference between the two)

Thanks

You'll get a bit more poke for sure. I got 323bhp with Revo stage 1 and then (same day, same dyno) 342bhp with a full Milltek exhaust system (known as TBE - turbo back exhaust - as it improves airflow from the turbo right through to the back box) and Forge CAI on Stage 2. Stage 2+ gives you little extra at the top end but turns the car into an absolute monster in the midrange. Spend the £1k on Stage 2 and then its "only" around £350 for the fuel pump which is the only other thing you'll need to go 2+. A cat back exhaust is a waste of time if performance is your aim - may make it sound better though.

You'll get a bit more poke for sure. I got 323bhp with Revo stage 1 and then (same day, same dyno) 342bhp with a full Milltek exhaust system (known as TBE - turbo back exhaust - as it improves airflow from the turbo right through to the back box) and Forge CAI on Stage 2. Stage 2+ gives you little extra at the top end but turns the car into an absolute monster in the midrange. Spend the £1k on Stage 2 and then its "only" around £350 for the fuel pump which is the only other thing you'll need to go 2+. A cat back exhaust is a waste of time if performance is your aim - may make it sound better though.

Thanks Iggu

I have read about TBE, and im aware that they are quite pricey but can be worth it, the reason i mentioned just a DP and sports or cat back was i read a post from someone that mentioned the stock DP was a weak spot and made the map misfire and also it was all you needed rather than spending over a grand on the full TBE, i think JamieKip has got this setup and has also managed the keep the stock tailpipes (although i could be wrong)

I def want to do more than what i have on my current S3, i think the stage 2 setup is the way to go, but thinking about funds i cant decide between just the DP or the full TBE, will stage 2 a good CAI and DP be sufficient? i understand i would get more performance from the TBE, but i imagine this would be quite minimal and i could save some money going down the DP route

Hi Johhny....Iggu's advice is spot on.

He and a few others here were superb when I was getting mine done,and have been great for advice all along.

If you go to Stage 2+,you do need all of the other bits,such as the exhaust,diverter valve,CAI and HPFP.

I tried to keep the look almost stock by keeping the induction system standard and we got a persistent misfire as a result,due to air flow restriction above 6300 rpm.

It took a while to track that down and isolate it,so my advice would be if you go the whole hog,don't miss out on any parts.

CAI....I chose the Forge,but you now have the ITG,Evoms,DBilas etc.

It does make a fair bit of induction noise,but off boost you wouldn't know that anything was different.

I cant speak for other products but the Forge CAI made a HUGE difference on my car. I was running stage 1 software and a De-cat for a while, and then decided to put on the extra bits... CAI and a custom built 76mm DP,stock zhorts (still running stage 1 SW though) and my car came alive! I really REALLY recomend these mods.

I would LOVE to upgrade to stage 2 SW but thats just to much money for the gains Im going to get. pity :/

The Forge changes the engine sound alot and makes it quite loud.. but I enjoy the sound :)

I cant speak for other products but the Forge CAI made a HUGE difference on my car. I was running stage 1 software and a De-cat for a while, and then decided to put on the extra bits... CAI and a custom built 76mm DP,stock zhorts (still running stage 1 SW though) and my car came alive! I really REALLY recomend these mods.

I would LOVE to upgrade to stage 2 SW but thats just to much money for the gains Im going to get. pity :/

The Forge changes the engine sound alot and makes it quite loud.. but I enjoy the sound :)

KiT, I don't know what the pricing structure is in RSA, but Stage 1>2(+) is only £50 in UK?

yea they not very different here , but im a special case :p
I thought I was running APR software... and it turns out im not.
I have no idea what SW is on the car as it was chipped by the previous owner.

Now to get to stage 2 with any tuner is gona require the outlay for stage 1 (which i already have) and the small fee for stage 2.

So thats about 550 pounds for 5-9wheel KW :(

yea they not very different here , but im a special case :p
I thought I was running APR software... and it turns out im not.
I have no idea what SW is on the car as it was chipped by the previous owner.

Now to get to stage 2 with any tuner is gona require the outlay for stage 1 (which i already have) and the small fee for stage 2.

So thats about 550 pounds for 5-9wheel KW :(

Aha, sorry mate, I now remember reading your thread on this. :( This may have been answered but I take it that you cannot trace him/her from their address on the vehicle registration document, or through Audi RSA as they will have the name & address on the warranty/recovery details.

So can you have Stage 2+ with Down Pipe only?
Or do you need the hi-flo cats that come with the TBE?

And you can have a CAI with an engine cover now, right?

I would Stage 2+ tomorrow if I didnt have to change the clutch/DMF:ermm:

cheers
Paul

cheers
Paul

Stage 2+ really does require all of the other bits not only to get the full gains,but also to avoid the sort of problems I had with misfires etc.

CAI and engine cover....there are covers to go with the EVOMS CAI,and there is at least one person here who has taken some tools to a standard engine cover and fitted it around a CAI.

Cheers fellas

In terms of keeping the engine bay looking OEM, has anyone had any comments from the dealers yet if they have got a CAI with no engine cover on?

Also i average around 33k miles per year, would the stage 2 setup fair well to this amount of mileage?

In terms of dealers im gonna go to either votex in congleton or REVO HQ in Daventry, has anyone had experiences at these places?

Thanks

Cheers fellas

In terms of keeping the engine bay looking OEM, has anyone had any comments from the dealers yet if they have got a CAI with no engine cover on?

Also i average around 33k miles per year, would the stage 2 setup fair well to this amount of mileage?

In terms of dealers im gonna go to either votex in congleton or REVO HQ in Daventry, has anyone had experiences at these places?

Thanks

My local dealer has generally been rather unhelpful,and said that ANY mods = no warranty on anything connected to said mod.

Legally,the onus is on them to demonstrate that your piece of pipe has made their engine implode,but I can see it being a tortuous business.
Some dealers have a more open view of things.

I can't see any great problems with the engine,the mods and your mileage,providing you do the right things such as regular oil changes with a synthetic(which you would anyway),and making sure you use the right grade of fuel for the map settings,i.e.not 95RON for the most aggressive map settings.

Admittedly these are very different engines,but I ran a 440bhp Sierra for about 40k miles and the thing was completely reliable.....it was built by someone who knew his stuff,and I suspect that was the major part of the equation.

REVO HQ in Daventry, has anyone had experiences at these places?

Thanks

:thumbsup:

As for Audi service dealers, once they see you've got mods it opens the floodgates for them to make life awkward, so it is best to leave the car looking standard until you are happy it seems a reliable motor.

One dealer I went to see about a part-ex said that he was unhappy that I'd had the Nav fitted aftermarket (even though it was full Audi DVD Nav), and would I consider removing it or leaving it in and giving them my Symphony CD changer unit. After reflecting on the 12 years I was going to serve if I put him thorough the window he was stood in front of I decided to leave it there and walk away. Mods don't fly at Audi.

cheers
Paul

Revo say that DP and sports cat is a minimum for that stage, but obviously recommend TBE. The keeping the engine cover solutions are either expensive i.e. evoms or the homemade route. I personally am not fussed about it and woukd rather save on the expense or fuss. I am sure that Staz went for the Evoms cover a while ago. Mate have you looked at the thread for Sunday "over there?"

l had misfires straight after the remap, GIAC, through CAI and pump, plugs. All gone now thanks to full TBE. Definite problem in the OEM downpipe/cat.

AuldReekie, I phoned the guy I bought the car from, he said he'd find out for me... he never got back to me. So thats a dead end :/

PaulAr, For stage2+ you need a High pressure fuel pump! aswell as the zhort and intake.

Thats why i was thinking about a BMC CDA filter as it can come off and back on quite easily, but i suspect it is not in the same league as a full CAI such as the above, but would it do the job for stage 2?

Luckily i live near stattler in sheffield and know steve quite well, so any hardware mods would be well supllied and fitted by him, i will just feel guilty about going with REVO and not GIAC this time round.

Its amazing how much the mods have come on since i was on here alot last year, stage 2+ sounds like a monster, how will that fare against an impreza STI? or EVO?

One last question which i have searched the forum for but cant find is - how many miles should i give the new car before mapping it? 1k?

One last question which i have searched the forum for but cant find is - how many miles should i give the new car before mapping it? 1k?

I gave mine 198 miles, and that was only because it took a single drive home from the dealers (2 miles) to realise that it just wasn't good enough. I drove straight to MTM the next day and had it remapped (a further 196 miles!). Don't ask how I ended up with Revo, it's a long story.

In short, it does NO harm to get the engine run in with the remap, AS LONG as you do it CONSIDERATELY!!! At least it beds in with the remap rather than having to adjust to it.

Last edited:
The HPFP does make a very clear difference to the mid-range....smoothes out the delivery and the torque dip that you get without it.

Well i think i will go to REVO HQ as its only just over 2 hours away, im guessing im gonna get the best service and knowledge there, is it Carl i need to speak to when i phone?

Carl's the guy to speak to....nice chap,and will give you the info you need.

AuldReekie, I phoned the guy I bought the car from, he said he'd find out for me... he never got back to me. So thats a dead end :/

What a donkey, like it would have been to much to get back to you. :banghead: Some people...:confused:

Stage 2+ really does require all of the other bits not only to get the full gains,but also to avoid the sort of problems I had with misfires etc.

CAI and engine cover....there are covers to go with the EVOMS CAI,and there is at least one person here who has taken some tools to a standard engine cover and fitted it around a CAI.

Cheers, just read my post again though. :confused:

What I should have asked is can you have Stage 2+ withh all of the bolts ons inc HPFP BUT with DP instead of full system?

Thanks
Paul

Just want to add a bit of newly discovered knowledge.....

Maybe some already know this but if you want to have a spruced up engine bay look with the CAI you can use an engine cover from the TTS, pops right on and doesn't get in the way, looks sharp.

Found out about a week ago myself......

It gives space for pretty much anything combine that with an R8 oil cap and your rock n roll ... cant wait to try it on mine. Disco ball is next mod!