Revo Free Trial??? YES or NO?

AudiS3Quattro

Reaction score
Hey,

I have been offerd a free revo re-map trial, it will last for 2hours before wiping its self, so i can see if i like the car once remapped, has anyone heard of this and if so does anybody recommend trying it out?

Thanks

it doesnt wipe itself, it will take it back to normal settings (or maybe less so) and will remain as a Revo standard map on your ECU...unless of course you buy it afterwards.... try and drive a similar car to find the map you want mate... much less hassle

i agree with 1 animal i had my golf 1.8t revo trial mapped and when i did eventually get 1 i had it on the rollers before and after runs and the guy said he had to reset my ecu back to standard and then remap as it was running less boost/power so steer clear i would!!!

another member took his to have it remapped only to be told that they couldnt do it as it had a revo trial on it, ended up having to solder a new chip into the ECU

Where are you based, it might be worth seeing if someone can take you out in a revo mapped car, see what you think..

I called up Clive Atthowe tuning today who is based in norwich and apparently i couldnt have a trial map on mine as it has the cable throttle and not the electronically controlled throttle which is found on the later models! Which is a little lame as i was looking forward to having a free trial but ah well.

I called custom codes who do a mobile chipping on my 99 1.8tsport for 274 all in and they go to wherever you want them to which is pretty good. also gave me prices if i wanted to have a DV put in and a high performance panel filter too. I'll probably go with them just cos they showed more of an interest than Atthowe did. The Revo map was 340 roughly if i remember correctly and they're map has the powerband set between 2.5 and 5k revs apparently which seems a little low for my liking but there you go. I must stop before i start to rant.

hmmm, well sounds as thought it would be best to not have the trail.

nilz18t: thanks for the advice, I am based in newcastle, there are a few s3's kicking around I'll flag one down ans ask for a passenger ride haha but seriously, i think it would be best to experiance a mapped s3 before i decide to go ahead with it, am sure i will love it though.

unsure what it would be like on A3.... i know if you put a Revo up agianst a CC there really isnt much in it on the road - the Revo has a narrower more rapid power band, the CC has it spread across more revs but ultimately with the same result when side by side

unsure what it would be like on A3.... i know if you put a Revo up against a CC there really isnt much in it on the road - the Revo has a narrower more rapid power band

Errmm interesting....roll on the pod.

ive got a revo map on my S3, my clutch is a bit suspect at the minute, some days its fine others it slips on hard aceleration but u welcome to see what its like.

Hey,

I have been offerd a free revo re-map trial, it will last for 2hours before wiping its self, so i can see if i like the car once remapped, has anyone heard of this and if so does anybody recommend trying it out?

Thanks

lasts five hours and the dissenters will say it doesn't go back to standard and is slower...never ever seen a scrap of evidence to prove this.
I have a Revo remap (for three years) and its very quick and I'm still holding onto my original clutch despite a few trackdays and quarter mile straight line fairy sprints.

ive got a revo map on my S3, my clutch is a bit suspect at the minute, some days its fine others it slips on hard aceleration but u welcome to see what its like.

Have you had your car on vag-com, my clutch slipped under hard aceleration cleared my clutch switch fault and adjusted it and now doesn't slip. worth a look if you can, better than forking out for a new clutch.

ive not mate, i just presumed i would be fitting a new clutch soon! well not at the minute i am in the middle on buying a new house so ive put it on hold, the car has only done 45k and i dont drive it like i stole it so i thought it might still have a bit of life in it, thanks mate ill look into this

ive not mate, i just presumed i would be fitting a new clutch soon! well not at the minute i am in the middle on buying a new house so ive put it on hold, the car has only done 45k and i dont drive it like i stole it so i thought it might still have a bit of life in it, thanks mate ill look into this

Good luck mate, fingers crossed it will be the same for you then as a new clutch switch is £12 from audi.

S3BLX...have you looked in the spotters forum...

Good luck mate, fingers crossed it will be the same for you then as a new clutch switch is £12 from audi.

just done a bit of reading up, and i think the clutch switch could be the problem, i read that the revs rising between gear changes is a symptom, i have noticed this happening a couple times lately and convinced myself i must be riding the clutch!! ill give it try cant do any harm.

Errmm interesting....roll on the pod.

does this mean you'll be turning your settings up in preparation JAs:)

gotta admit i havent seen proof of the trial going slower after it ends, although i can for definate tell you that it goes back to a Revo standard map and NOT the original...this can cause issues if you go to have another map added as the software isnt easily erased like the standard one is

does this mean you'll be turning your settings up in preparation JAs:)

TBH its not pulling as good recently so am not as confident but as long as its not raining I'll have a play :eyebrows:

oh come on.... haha....you know the best way to test? clio 197's.... great indicator!!:laugh:

Where are you based, it might be worth seeing if someone can take you out in a revo mapped car, see what you think..

Sounds good, anyone in the Glasgow area?

People give the Trial Software an undue bad name in my opinion. Yes it does remain on the ECU and does not revert to the OEM software, it reverts to the REVO interpretation of the stock map.

One very imortant thing is that if you have the trial and then have a remap by another company you maust tell them you have the REVO trial installed. They will need to first load an OEM stock file onto your car before loading a mapped file. Tuners that say they can't or it can't be done are generally the less capable and perhaps should be avoided anyway.

The last point I'd like to make is that I read lots of posts that go along the line of 'REVO broke my car' blah blah. What has actually happened is that the owner has had the trial installed and because of the greater demands placed on the engine it has highlighted an existing weekness, this is especially common with the 1.8T and air/vacuum leaks.

I wouldn't want anyone's "interpretation" of the stock file if the remap is not good enough that I don't want it.

didn't think CC could do DBcable remaps...
certainly what they said to me about my 99 1.8t..unless it was down to the bigger turbo they couldn't do. never mind

I wouldn't want anyone's "interpretation" of the stock file if the remap is not good enough that I don't want it.

didn't think CC could do DBcable remaps...
certainly what they said to me about my 99 1.8t..unless it was down to the bigger turbo they couldn't do. never mind

I have done several in Australia as most A3s and Golf GTIs are cable throttle cars here. Flashing the ECU can be done on the bench not through the OBD socket.

Gavin

yup ill confirm the above....

erm, fully understand the Revo comments, however doesnt sit right with me with what ive heard....this is not a slur as i know the Revo is at the very least equivalent to mine if not quicker in terms of delivery - their trial issues did not help their corner though when i was choosing my map

I's say only go for the trial if you are going to have the revo after just to confirm you like it before shelling out. Otherwise, just go for the full remap and stop messing around. The difference is amazing and really makes the car how it should have been!

Interesting comments about the clutch switch. Mine has the same symptoms, revs rising between changes and signs of clutch slip in higher gears. Where is it and how do i fit? Do i need vag com to clear faults etc?

Go for the Revo trial - Mine was for 5 hours and absolutely amazing. Regarding all those out there who say that when the trial expires the car is worse than before personally I think they are speaking rubbish. I had my car on the rollers before the trial, during and after and I can say that before the trial I had 209bhp, during 261bhp and after it was 210bhp. Now it is consistently at 259bhp. What I can say is that when my free trial expired the car felt really slow but the only reason for this is that I had got used to it with Revo so it felt slower than before but actually wasnt! Its the same feeling of travelling on a motorway at 70mph and then going into a 40mph zone. 40mph feel extremely slow after you have been travelling at a higher speed. Rant over. Good luck with the trial

I wouldn't want anyone's "interpretation" of the stock file if the remap is not good enough that I don't want it

nearly all the people who have the trial have the full remap
also whats so good about the 'stock' file? if the S3 is so good then why is their a BIG list of known faults with the car? not perfect by a long way....mine is though:p

I've been planning on a remap for 18 months, S3 is feeling a big slow now :(

I fancy a spin in a CC'd one though, used to drive a Revo'd S3 quite a bit and it was great !

Ian if i were to do it again i think id want to speak to someone about the benefits of a custom map from day one.... generics are good as tried and tested but think i would want a custom version in all honesty

I was offered a custom one at £500 and a day in Middlesborough but had the Revo by then or I would of.

jas ive contacted CC about customising once ive got my FMIC fitted....they wont do anything until ive done full downpipe and exhaust boooo