Review: Spec Stage 3+ Clutch

Tortel

Reaction score
As I posted in another thread, I changed my Sachs performance clutch with OEM DMF for a Spec Stage 3+ with a 15 lb SMF that according to manufacturers specifications can handle 578 lb/ft. My car is a 08 restyling S3 with revo stage2+ map.

Almost everyone here who suffers any clutch issue is getting the Sachs upgraded replacement. It seems that I did not give that clutch a nice treatment as it only last me less than 10k milles (maybe too many take offs and track days in slow circuits where the clutch suffers more than in faster tracks). Anyway, I fitted the Spec clutch yesterday and at the moment I am quite happy with this mod.

Firstly, the change to SMF is not as huge as they say (maybe this is because I chose the heaviest flywheel of 15 lb instead the aluminium one of only 7,5), the starts are a bit more complicated because it is not as progressive as the Sachs, but as it feels softer (because it has got springs inside de clutch disk) as well as the pedal has a sorter range (aprox 25% less than the Sachs), once you have built up some speed (few mph) is even more confortable than Sachs+DMF (this one has a lovely but very very hard feeling, to hard maybe for daily use), faster and smoother gear changes and it also builds up rpms faster. Also, with this clutch the feeling of the gear shift is a bit harder.

If this a long last product and can handle lots of milles I think that it may be better for an intense use of the S3 (4wd vehicle). I hope I don't have many problems with it, but what I will also do is treat it better than the Sachs.

By the way, apologies for my english, I am spanish!

Good review, still can't believe you only got 10k kms out of the Sachs, must've been abused liked hell on your stage 2+ ! I did my first launch with the sachs the other day, was very impressed with the take up but stank like hell during it.

Good review, still can't believe you only got 10k kms out of the Sachs, must've been abused liked hell on your stage 2+ ! I did my first launch with the sachs the other day, was very impressed with the take up but stank like hell during it.

A couple of launches more and you will be joining the Spec clutch Club:laugh: