Review of MPS4s

M

mangasRS3

Hi guys, this is my first post here so go easy on me lol! Just thought I’d tell of my review on the MPS4s tyres as it’s been a long standing debate and suitability for the FL RS3 so I wanted to chip in! I have a 2018 RS3 saloon with the staggered setup 235/255 and was never impressed with the Pirelli P Zero RO2 tyres that come fitted to the car so decided to change over to Michelin’s as had these on my previous car a BMW M4 comp pack. I went with the staggered setup and kept original sizes 235/35/19 & 255/30/19 and must say it’s defo made the car drive and handle like it should! Firstly just to clarify I’ve had no TC issues as some say where as with the Pirellis I did have. The ride is more smoother and slightly less noisy too also gives you confidence in the handling side of things as well. Overall I’m definitely impressed and if anyone’s thinking of changing over then I’d 100% recommended the MPS4s!

Reactions: hawesy25, teslaboy, jimojameso and 2 others
I am tempted to do this also, but the TC issues kinda put me off..

I did also discover that they are listed on the official Michelin website as an option and suggest a different tire pressure too ..

I may well take the jump.. but I only have 900miles on my car at the moment so *may* get a little bit more out of my tyres before I change.. however I agree really don't like the Pirellis .. always had pilot supersports on my Previous cars.

FYI
https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/ca...nFitment=255-30-19-91-Y&selectedIndexOption=0

I am tempted to do this also, but the TC issues kinda put me off..

I did also discover that they are listed on the official Michelin website as an option and suggest a different tire pressure too ..

I may well take the jump.. but I only have 900miles on my car at the moment so *may* get a little bit more out of my tyres before I change.. however I agree really don't like the Pirellis .. always had pilot supersports on my Previous cars.

FYI
https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/ca...nFitment=255-30-19-91-Y&selectedIndexOption=0

@zippster, less cleaning your RS3 and more driving of it

Reactions: Sandra and zippster
@zippster, less cleaning your RS3 and more driving of it

:) problem is my commute is so short now it’s almost non existent so not getting out much..

Still I’m keeping it nice for the next owner when I go for my R8 :):)

#musttryharder

Reactions: Sandra and NevMan
MP4s are incredible. Best tyre I have used on any of my cars. Also no traction issues here whatsoever.

Reactions: mangasRS3
I’ve heard consistently good reports on the mp4s but most have mentioned that they are noisier than the pirellis, so I’m surprised to hear the OP say they are quieter. I beleive the pirelli’s have some sound deadening foam inside.

Hi guys, this is my first post here so go easy on me lol! Just thought I’d tell of my review on the MPS4s tyres as it’s been a long standing debate and suitability for the FL RS3 so I wanted to chip in! I have a 2018 RS3 saloon with the staggered setup 235/255 and was never impressed with the Pirelli P Zero RO2 tyres that come fitted to the car so decided to change over to Michelin’s as had these on my previous car a BMW M4 comp pack. I went with the staggered setup and kept original sizes 235/35/19 & 255/30/19 and must say it’s defo made the car drive and handle like it should! Firstly just to clarify I’ve had no TC issues as some say where as with the Pirellis I did have. The ride is more smoother and slightly less noisy too also gives you confidence in the handling side of things as well. Overall I’m definitely impressed and if anyone’s thinking of changing over then I’d 100% recommended the MPS4s!
Michelin tyres are wider than the Perelli. Have you experienced any rubbing on hard turns? Also, how many miles on the Michelins?
Thanks

Reactions: zippster
Michelin tyres are wider than the Perelli. Have you experienced any rubbing on hard turns? Also, how many miles on the Michelins?
Thanks
I’ve done about 1000 miles on the Michelin’s so far and no rubbing at all! Hope this helps

Thanks

Do you have a picture with the PS4’s are they noticebly wider asphetically?

Michelins front and rear, they are square whereas the Pirelli are rounded. I think they look good.. but more importantly as I said above they function well.

RS3 2

Reactions: hawesy25, zippster and NevMan
The poor hubs look a bit vulnerable though given our sh1**y road surfaces

Think he means “it does”, just not as pronounced as the Pirelli’s

Reactions: DW81
Been buying MPS 3s and 4s for years now but unfortunately it was looking like Latitudes for my SQ. Michelin must have known their most valued customer was in the market for new rubber so they've just released the MPS4 in 255/40r21 - especially for me obviously :) .

4 being delivered on Wednesday.

Reactions: NevMan
Bit confused with your response, so does the tyre have its own rim protector ie try reaching protrudes out like the Pirelli’s
The Michelin’s have rim protection but not as much as the Pirelli’s one does

Is anyone thinking of trying the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport? They have released the 235/35 r19 but not the 255/30 r19 sizing at this point - but I understand they are only just trickling the tyre into the market

Is anyone thinking of trying the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport? They have released the 235/35 r19 but not the 255/30 r19 sizing at this point - but I understand they are only just trickling the tyre into the market

This very week

a25f3026dda1dfeaa658ec14129e13b8.jpg

0ddfbc6d90542cae28585c056186e1c6.jpg

Reactions: DW81 and NevMan
Amazing!

Were you running the Pirelli R02 before? Appreciate that you’ve only just changed, but what are your initial impressions and have you had any TC issues since changing?

Amazing!

Were you running the Pirelli R02 before? Appreciate that you’ve only just changed, but what are your initial impressions and have you had any TC issues since changing?

Dunno yet

Had em sat around for over 3 weeks waiting until I put the summer wheels back on, hopefully will be having them fitted tomorrow.

I spoke to good year technical before purchase, they told me there are no plans to release the 255 as of yet.

So I decided to go 235 all round.

No tyre will stop these wheels getting damaged lol
Agree with this - didn't prevent damage to my rim even though the protector was quite large....just took a chunk out of it! No replacement for extra care, although even that didn't help me!:readit::whistle2:

Reactions: Roxman87
Dunno yet

Had em sat around for over 3 weeks waiting until I put the summer wheels back on, hopefully will be having them fitted tomorrow.

I spoke to good year technical before purchase, they told me there are no plans to release the 255 as of yet.

So I decided to go 235 all round.

Have you got the staggered setup?

If so are there issues with putting 235s in 8inch wide wheels ?

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Is there any issues fitting the smaller 235 tyres on the 8.5 wheel ?

None.

Have 8.5J winters with 235 Pirelli already.

A friend also has MPS4S fitted to his 8.5j fronts and reports no issues with TC lights.

He had the 255 MPS4S at first and didn’t like how they made the car feel.

None.

Have 8.5J winters with 235 Pirelli already.

A friend also has MPS4S fitted to his 8.5j fronts and reports no issues with TC lights.

He had the 255 MPS4S at first and didn’t like how they made the car feel.

Good info. Thanks

Good info. Thanks

235’s fitted today.

Like a different car, feels much more planted, ride is less crashy, no more road noise than the 255 Pirelli even with their fancy foam.

No TC light issues either and I used to get that over speed bumps with the Pirelli tyres.

ffbf81deb01a8f0fc98f521be7383981.jpg

8d37de0f823b3d57ef97368828316a20.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: teslaboy, DW81, D0C and 2 others
235’s fitted today.

Like a different car, feels much more planted, ride is less crashy, no more road noise than the 255 Pirelli even with their fancy foam.

No TC light issues either and I used to get that over speed bumps with the Pirelli tyres.

Very good feedback and are you glueing those coins on as rim protectors. :)

235’s fitted today.

8d37de0f823b3d57ef97368828316a20.jpg
Nice to see a different tyre brand on the rs

Reactions: NevMan and T-800
For anyone that’s interested.

Here’s the link for where I eventually sourced the Goodyear’s from.

There’s also an offer running when you buy 4 tyres you will receive an £80 John Lewis or amazon voucher.

https://www.justtyres.co.uk/special-offers

Interesting chat with the guy that changes my tyres over yesterday.

Was discussing the Pirelli wear with him.
He said it’s not limited to Audi in that he’s had Mercs in his place exhibiting the same edge wear, on the rears though.
He showed me some pictures of a Pirelli which I can only say looked like someone had carved its inner edge with a chisel.

His opinion was that the Pirelli design of the “stretched” but not stretched look doesn’t help matters, in that the tyre edges on turning are always running on that angled back sidewall.

He’s never seen any wear on inner edges where a squared shoulder tyre is fitted.

And this guy fits tyres to Audi’s / Mercs / BMW’s etc all day long.

Anyone on here tried the MPS4s at 245, 30, 19s ??
They are a fair bit more expensive, i guess being a slightly unusual size.

Just curious how the 245s might handle and fit the 8.5j fronts as opposed to the 255s, which from all accounts on here the 255s are not the ones to go for.