Reversing light (Or lack off ! )

Bainie

Reaction score
I live out in the sticks , and have found that now the winter is here there appears to be no reversing light on the S3, or not one that produces light ! This is the first car I have had with such a pityful reversing light . Can one be put in the other side (3 dr) , or will a 50 watt LED from eBay improve things, am I likely to get a bulb error ? Reversing out of my drive in the pitch black using memory, recipe for disaster !

Looking at this one ? Could I get one in each side ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1x-5...0068&clkid=1530380709880745793&_qi=RTM2063723

Any photos Bazzle ?

For reference, most of the power ratings for LEDs on ebay are utter trash. That first one that suggest they have a 50w power output, yet only draw 500ma at 12v. Thats 6w at very best.

You're right about reversing out of your drive could be a disaster. You should be reversing into your drive when you come home and driving forwards out onto the road.

They just look like brite lites :)

Work OK . I think they are 5 or 6w 5k

You're right about reversing out of your drive could be a disaster. You should be reversing into your drive when you come home and driving forwards out onto the road.

Either way I need to see . I could also turn in my drive and go out forwards as well , like I said I am in the sticks , but you are right probably should go out forwards , might reverse over an otter or something , but as much chance of that in my drive as the "main" road .(my drive is wider than the road !)

Yeah , I spotted that , ordered one yesterday , will report back findings when it is in , hopefully no bulb warning , ordered error free one ..

I would be interested to see the outcome of this as I find the reversing light pathetic!

80w total , 16x5w LEDs in a bulb , 2000 lumen , I am sure it will be better than the candle that's in there at the moment if it fits , and is error free ...

Just realised sportsback has different rear lights. My reverse lights are effectively on the boot.

Hatchback is different than sport back I believe (or hope ! )

Bulb came, went out to see what it was like, but in the usual Audi way , it was not that simple, so had to give up as the rear light has to be removed , and I could not get it off !! So one youtube video later I headed out tonight and swapped them over . No errors and a lot more light, worthwhile doing I would say , but it you look at the size of the reversing light we don't stand much chance !

Reactions: Ajcman
OK thanks, I ordered one. I was reversing the other night in a dark place (not dogging!) and could literally see nothing behind me. No idea if I was going to hit something.
Some elements of the A3 especially lighting don't seem to have been thought through very well!
Access to front bulbs? - you need the hands of a child. Change a rear bulb? - why just get out a 13mm socket.
Nice to drive though :)

Yeah , and it is just on the passengers side, handy ! Once you take out the 13mm bolt and pull it slightly rearward , then the two lugs that need pulled out come straight out the side of the car , so need pulled away from the side of the car, thats the bit that snookered me . Every other car I have owned has had a little hatch you pull off in the boot and the bulbs are there . I bet a lot of people take it to a garage to get a bulb changed !

Reactions: Rog_B
The 8p 3 door revering light is crap. I tried with the help of Trups a Cree LED, in my old 2011 S3 but it threw a fault on the DIS for lamp fail, so it was returned.

Getting the rear lamp clusters out to change the lamps is not for the faint hearted either, they are a royal pita.

I had to live with it until I changed to the RS3 sportback, which gets two reversing lights.

Bulb came, went out to see what it was like, but in the usual Audi way , it was not that simple, so had to give up as the rear light has to be removed , and I could not get it off !! So one youtube video later I headed out tonight and swapped them over . No errors and a lot more light, worthwhile doing I would say , but it you look at the size of the reversing light we don't stand much chance !

Im new to owning an A3 and into all this bulb changing and farting about and i agree with it needing more reversing lights, but its just 1 bulb i order correct?

If its a 3dr , then yes just one on the passengers side ..

Reversing lights are only to indicate to other road users that you are reversing, they were never intended to be used to illuminate the space behind you. Eat your carrots as yer ma says and you'll be able to see in the dark.

Wondered when someone would be along to share that little ditty ! Maybe when Henry Ford designed the car it was , but I am sure when Audi put them on the car that's not the only intention for them . Steering wheel is designed to steer the car , mine does a lot more than that !

Adding full led number plate lights also helped illuminate the rear slightly too
Plus the reverse camera lol

Wondered when someone would be along to share that little ditty ! Maybe when Henry Ford designed the car it was , but I am sure when Audi put them on the car that's not the only intention for them . Steering wheel is designed to steer the car , mine does a lot more than that !

Ok, name one other car that has a good deal of visible light for reversing lights.
Oh look, I've found one, it could be your solution as well. Some Minis also had them and was quite common 50years ago. You can guess how old I am :sm4:
41765a.jpg

Ok, name one other car that has a good deal of visible light for reversing lights.
Oh look, I've found one, it could be your solution as well. Some Minis also had them and was quite common 50years ago. You can guess how old I am :sm4:
41765a.jpg

Lotus Cortina

Lovely car and hideously expensive.

Lotus Cortina

Lovely car and hideously expensive.

Give that man a prize :sm4:
Your right they are constantly climbing in value. Been trying to buy one since I was 18 but everytime I have lump of cash going spare, they go up again :crying: just beyond my means. One time 4 years ago I did have the cash to buy one but the wifey talked me out of it. Just recently after perusing the meagre LC offerings that had increased again, she said "Why didn't you buy one 4 years ago, would have been a good investment".:slap: Wimin Eh!

Reactions: S3Alex
Give that man a prize :sm4:
Your right they are constantly climbing in value. Been trying to buy one since I was 18 but everytime I have lump of cash going spare, they go up again :crying: just beyond my means. One time 4 years ago I did have the cash to buy one but the wifey talked me out of it. Just recently after perusing the meagre LC offerings that had increased again, she said "Why didn't you buy one 4 years ago, would have been a good investment".:slap: Wimin Eh!

If I knew then what I know now....I so wanted a Lotus Cortina back then,but couldn't ever have afforded one,and I still can't.

That's a cracker ! He must have really wanted other people to know he was reversing !

If this carry on continues the S3 will be going for some old fordish fun (maybe the reversing light would convince the missus)

Sunbeam lotus is up there as well ...

Reactions: S3Alex
Variety is the spice of life. I do like a bit of thread drift.

Reactions: a3emma
Nope, still all clear , done quite a bit of reversing as well ...

Went for the 80w , read they draw a bit more so are less prone to errors . Car is a2008 facelift .