1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Reversing light (Or lack off ! )

Bainie Nov 29, 2015

1. Bainie

Bainie Registered User

I live out in the sticks , and have found that now the winter is here there appears to be no reversing light on the S3, or not one that produces light ! This is the first car I have had with such a pityful reversing light . Can one be put in the other side (3 dr) , or will a 50 watt LED from eBay improve things, am I likely to get a bulb error ? Reversing out of my drive in the pitch black using memory, recipe for disaster !

Looking at this one ? Could I get one in each side ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1x-5...0068&clkid=1530380709880745793&_qi=RTM2063723

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Bazzle

Bazzle Registered User

4. Ibisa3

Ibisa3 Registered User

Any photos Bazzle ?

For reference, most of the power ratings for LEDs on ebay are utter trash. That first one that suggest they have a 50w power output, yet only draw 500ma at 12v. Thats 6w at very best.

5. Starry

Starry S3 8V saloon... APR Stage 2....(-:

I'm suffering from this also.

6. SootySport

SootySport Registered User

You're right about reversing out of your drive could be a disaster. You should be reversing into your drive when you come home and driving forwards out onto the road.

7. Bazzle

Bazzle Registered User

They just look like brite lites :)

Work OK . I think they are 5 or 6w 5k

8. Bainie

Bainie Registered User

Either way I need to see . I could also turn in my drive and go out forwards as well , like I said I am in the sticks , but you are right probably should go out forwards , might reverse over an otter or something , but as much chance of that in my drive as the "main" road .(my drive is wider than the road !)

9. Gazwould

Gazwould Registered User

You can get 80W CREE LED .

10. Bainie

Bainie Registered User

Yeah , I spotted that , ordered one yesterday , will report back findings when it is in , hopefully no bulb warning , ordered error free one ..

11. Rob C

Rob C Audi Owner

I would be interested to see the outcome of this as I find the reversing light pathetic!

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Ibisa3

Ibisa3 Registered User

Oh, please share.

I mean cree DO make 80w leds, but they are 8000 lumen monsters, and are EXPENSIVE, and certainly are not for automotive use !

14. Bainie

Bainie Registered User

80w total , 16x5w LEDs in a bulb , 2000 lumen , I am sure it will be better than the candle that's in there at the moment if it fits , and is error free ...

15. Ibisa3

Ibisa3 Registered User

Where did you buy them from ?

16. Bainie

Bainie Registered User

17. Ibisa3

Ibisa3 Registered User

18. Ibisa3

Ibisa3 Registered User

Just realised sportsback has different rear lights. My reverse lights are effectively on the boot.

19. Bainie

Bainie Registered User

Hatchback is different than sport back I believe (or hope ! )

20. Bainie

Bainie Registered User

Bulb came, went out to see what it was like, but in the usual Audi way , it was not that simple, so had to give up as the rear light has to be removed , and I could not get it off !! So one youtube video later I headed out tonight and swapped them over . No errors and a lot more light, worthwhile doing I would say , but it you look at the size of the reversing light we don't stand much chance !

Ajcman likes this.
  21. Rog_B

Rog_B Registered User

OK thanks, I ordered one. I was reversing the other night in a dark place (not dogging!) and could literally see nothing behind me. No idea if I was going to hit something.
    Some elements of the A3 especially lighting don't seem to have been thought through very well!
    Access to front bulbs? - you need the hands of a child. Change a rear bulb? - why just get out a 13mm socket.
    Nice to drive though :)

22. Bainie

Bainie Registered User

Yeah , and it is just on the passengers side, handy ! Once you take out the 13mm bolt and pull it slightly rearward , then the two lugs that need pulled out come straight out the side of the car , so need pulled away from the side of the car, thats the bit that snookered me . Every other car I have owned has had a little hatch you pull off in the boot and the bulbs are there . I bet a lot of people take it to a garage to get a bulb changed !

Rog_B likes this.
  23. PaulRS3

PaulRS3 Registered User

The 8p 3 door revering light is ****. I tried with the help of Trups a Cree LED, in my old 2011 S3 but it threw a fault on the DIS for lamp fail, so it was returned.

Getting the rear lamp clusters out to change the lamps is not for the faint hearted either, they are a royal pita.

I had to live with it until I changed to the RS3 sportback, which gets two reversing lights.

Rog_B likes this.
  24. Ajcman

Ajcman Registered User

Im new to owning an A3 and into all this bulb changing and farting about and i agree with it needing more reversing lights, but its just 1 bulb i order correct?

25. Bainie

Bainie Registered User

If its a 3dr , then yes just one on the passengers side ..

26. SootySport

Reversing lights are only to indicate to other road users that you are reversing, they were never intended to be used to illuminate the space behind you. Eat your carrots as yer ma says and you'll be able to see in the dark.

27. Bainie

Bainie Registered User

Wondered when someone would be along to share that little ditty ! Maybe when Henry Ford designed the car it was , but I am sure when Audi put them on the car that's not the only intention for them . Steering wheel is designed to steer the car , mine does a lot more than that !

28. 1wheelonly

1wheelonly cabriolet VCDS Map User

Adding full led number plate lights also helped illuminate the rear slightly too
    Plus the reverse camera lol

29. SootySport

Ok, name one other car that has a good deal of visible light for reversing lights.
    Oh look, I've found one, it could be your solution as well. Some Minis also had them and was quite common 50years ago. You can guess how old I am :sm4:
    [​IMG]

30. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral Gold Supporter

Lotus Cortina

Lovely car and hideously expensive.

Rog_B likes this.
  31. SootySport

Give that man a prize :sm4:
    Your right they are constantly climbing in value. Been trying to buy one since I was 18 but everytime I have lump of cash going spare, they go up again :crying: just beyond my means. One time 4 years ago I did have the cash to buy one but the wifey talked me out of it. Just recently after perusing the meagre LC offerings that had increased again, she said "Why didn't you buy one 4 years ago, would have been a good investment".:slap: Wimin Eh!

S3Alex likes this.
  32. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral Gold Supporter

If I knew then what I know now....I so wanted a Lotus Cortina back then,but couldn't ever have afforded one,and I still can't.

33. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

34. SootySport

I also fear my dream car aspirations are over :sorrow:

S3Alex likes this.
  35. Bainie

Bainie Registered User

That's a cracker ! He must have really wanted other people to know he was reversing !

If this carry on continues the S3 will be going for some old fordish fun (maybe the reversing light would convince the missus)

Sunbeam lotus is up there as well ...

S3Alex likes this.
  36. SootySport

Variety is the spice of life. I do like a bit of thread drift.

a3emma likes this.
  37. Bainie

Bainie Registered User

38. Spiezels

Spiezels Registered User

Still no error on the dash?

39. Bainie

Bainie Registered User

Nope, still all clear , done quite a bit of reversing as well ...

40. SootySport

41. johnbev

johnbev Registered User

Did you go for the 80w or 30w bukb bainie,and what year is your car?
    Thanks, John

42. Bainie

Bainie Registered User

Went for the 80w , read they draw a bit more so are less prone to errors . Car is a2008 facelift .

43. Gazwould

Gazwould Registered User

This thread is a fail without before and after pics .