Reversing camera

Snokey55

Reaction score
Hi i am fitting reversing camera. Does anyone know the wire colour of postive wire for reversing lights and wherr tge cable run up the car cheers in advance

Does anyone know which was the cable runs up the car from tailgate

Does anyone know which was the cable runs up the car from tailgate

are you planning on powering the camera from the reverse light directly? if so, youre gonna have a bad time.

Powered mine from the wiper motor, used a meter to test for the ignition on wire, forgot the colour was a while ago I fitted one.
I run the cable through the wiring gaiter by the left hand hatch hinge, tucked under the headlong, down the A post, above the glovebox and through large whole for cables behind radio. Earth wire connects to the earth stud on right hand side of hatch.
My head unit switches the camera oon when going into reverse gear automatically, hope yours does the same.

I was looking for a rear camera retrofit, but all "OEM" kits available from websites like Kuffatec and Advanced-InCar are criminally expensive (seriously, 350-850 pounds for a camera that's worth not even more than 50 pounds!!)

I've found some aftermarket kits on eBay, like this one, and I'm pretty sure that they should be compatible, although I'm not sure if it will work with the RNS-E, perhaps with the custom firmware, see section 8.1.5 in the changelog here.

Which kit do you have? Is there a schematical guide available?
Unfortunately, ETKA doesn't list anything about a rearview camera, so I got no luck with that.

Last edited:
My 8P had a 12v socket in the boot - you could use that to power the camera?

It's the Head unit that turns camera on, not the reverse light.
I want to connect it to the reverse light so that the cars know when I am in reverse gear which will then automatically switch on the screen and camera. I am confused still which cable is the reverse light though... Please guys help me because it has taken me days and still do not find anything online. I do not have many tools and I do not have a multimeter. Thanks

You'll get a flickering image if you do
I want to connect it to the reverse light so that the cars know when I am in reverse gear which will then automatically switch on the screen and camera. I am confused still which cable is the reverse light though... Please guys help me because it has taken me days and still do not find anything online. I do not have many tools and I do not have a multimeter. Thanks

IMG 7372

The yellow plug is the camera lead which goes to the head unit, should have a long lead to extend it. Red lead is for 12v and chassis -ve, I used the wiper motor for 12v and the chassis stud in the boot lid for -ve.
centre conductor is for 12v outer screen is -ve.
MThe head unit knows when you're going into reverse if its Canbus enabled, hopefully your HU has the feature, most do.

.. and buy a cheap meter to find 12v ign. on. Fit a 5amp in line fuse in the Camera 12v lead for safety.

But what headunit do you have? The reason the OEM kits are that expensive have a reason. The RNS-E does not have RCA inputs, most aftermarket units do, for the RNS-e you need a converter in between to get it working. It then taps the reverse signal from the CANBUS drivetrain instead of the reverse light (which is wonky). In normal situations your rverse back camera will turn off when speeding 15kmph or higher. Not when you put it in first gear or so.

Next to that, attach a fuse if you tie it to the reverse light, otherwise you could burn your light or fry your camera.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

The yellow plug is the camera lead which goes to the head unit, should have a long lead to extend it. Red lead is for 12v and chassis -ve, I used the wiper motor for 12v and the chassis stud in the boot lid for -ve.
centre conductor is for 12v outer screen is -ve.
MThe head unit knows when you're going into reverse if its Canbus enabled, hopefully your HU has the feature, most do.
Thank you for your reply. I think I know how to do everything except for one thing: where and what colour is the reverse light cable on an audio a3 s line 2008 TDI model? Once I have that, the rest will be easy but I am having trouble identifying and I do not have a multimeter. I have an old blue cable from subwoofer that I will use to let the head unit know that I am reversing.

But what headunit do you have? The reason the OEM kits are that expensive have a reason. The RNS-E does not have RCA inputs, most aftermarket units do, for the RNS-e you need a converter in between to get it working. It then taps the reverse signal from the CANBUS drivetrain instead of the reverse light (which is wonky). In normal situations your rverse back camera will turn off when speeding 15kmph or higher. Not when you put it in first gear or so.

Next to that, attach a fuse if you tie it to the reverse light, otherwise you could burn your light or fry your camera.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Hello. I bought an ATOTO S8 LITE. Seems decent enough. I do not have CANBUS so that is not an issue. I will install it to the reverse light but I am not sure how to also get a fuse there... About the camera Once I get everything connected to the cámara reverse light etc. Red and pink will go to the blue one right that goes straight to the unit and that should also give 12v. The blue cable is already connected to the head unit, to trigger reverse mode. I could just connect one cable I am assuming that is because the red is with the pink in the reverse light already connected and therefore not needed for both of them. So I could choose from pink or red. Sorry about my explanation...

Attachments

• IMG_7411.JPG
    IMG_7411.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 41