Reversing Camera - Gimmick Or Not?

Soon, soon, maybe to use as a rear video recorder, just recording to a local SD card recording device that lives in the boot.
It will be much cheaper than a 2 camera in-car solution :)

Reactions: elpaulio
Soon, soon, maybe to use as a rear video recorder, just recording to a local SD card recording device that lives in the boot.
It will be much cheaper than a 2 camera in-car solution :)
It's almost insane that car companies don't offer 'dashcams' built in to the car by now tbh. My A3 has built in cameras both front and rear, but you can't take the feed from them so can't use them as dashcams! The front one is monochrome, but that wouldn't be an issue for dashcam use I'm sure.

It's almost insane that car companies don't offer 'dashcams' built in to the car by now tbh. My A3 has built in cameras both front and rear, but you can't take the feed from them so can't use them as dashcams! The front one is monochrome, but that wouldn't be an issue for dashcam use I'm sure.

They will soon, eventually I can see them being the law.

Wonder why none of the manufacturers haven't jumped on the dash cam band wagon and offered an integrated one at a ridiculously inflated price, just like they all do with integrated sat nav's :think:

After scraping my rear bumper (oops..) i'm thinking about getting one fitted, but i'd only have the real audi one and as long as it doesn't effect my warranty

I just plucked this out of the air, but

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1CH-DVR-V...274?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5b08bad682

would be ideal to pair with the £20 eBay camera to use as a rear view recording device. It could live in the space in the spare wheel well.

I've got a spare wheel in the space in my spare wheel well!

It'd be nice to have all this integrated into 1 place though like the 2 channel cameras do. A rear-end collision could easily leave your boot un-openable... not much ****** good having footage of it if you can't get to it then!

Ideally it'd just be an extra SD card slot in the MMI in the glove box perhaps, or even just designate SD1 or SD2 as the one to save to.

I'm toying with adding this option. Saw a video of it on youtube and quite like the way the projected steering lines could help 'guide' you and potentially prevent kerbing your left rear when reverse parking.

Can anyone with this option comment whether or not it works like this in reality ?

Works exactly like that. You get the guide lines, and also a parallel park mode (which is pretty useful when you learn what the parts of the diagram mean) and a towing mode if you have the towbar (puts a single line in the middle that moves with the steering wheel)

Reactions: Rob2k68
Works exactly like that. You get the guide lines, and also a parallel park mode (which is pretty useful when you learn what the parts of the diagram mean) and a towing mode if you have the towbar (puts a single line in the middle that moves with the steering wheel)

I didn't know about the parallel park mode, that could come in handy in those tight streets that I end up parking in during rush hour.

Is there a parallel park mode when you have just the camera fitted or do you mean with the parking aid system. I cannot find anything in the manual about parallel parking just using the camera. I have the camera and do find it very useful when reversing into a parallel parking space just to be able to actual see what's behind rather that relying on the beepers as these can be set of by things other than the car behind.

With the camera. You press the top right button on the MMI when the camera is up (there is a modes graphic in the top right of the screen) for parallel park mode. Press again for towing mode (if fitted), and again back to bay park mode (the default).

+1 for the usefulness of the camera and guiding lines. Not used the parallel park diagram yet but can see it may be useful to some people.