Reverse lights on while driving B8 A4

Mrheisenburg

Reaction score
Hi everyone…. I’m a bit stumped on something and I hope you guys can help…. I have recently bought a 2011 A4 Avant B8…. Lovely motor but was out in it the other night when 2 people at traffic lights told me my reverse lights are on….I’m guessing it might be the reverse switch on the box maybe…… I have had the car on the ramp trying to find the switch but for the life of me I can’t find it……. Is it like the normal kind of switch like a 22mm with a plug on it..?…. I’ve ordered a new switch from Audi parts place but I haven’t got it yet so don’t know what it looks like…… my cars a 2.0 tdi with 6 speed manual………any help would be massively appreciated……

Are they on when you even turn the lights off or only when you select side lights and beyond?

When you actually put reverse, what happens then? Do they stay on or some other lights come on?

Do you have LED tail lights or halogen for side/brake lights (the red ones).

Could just be a wire exposed crossing over with the side lights but seems unlikely. Might be someone has done some bad coding and set your reverse lights as side light coding or something like that. Do you have vcds or obdeleven dongle to diagnose any faults?

Sorry lots of questions but might help answer.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Reactions: AudiPete
Are they on when you even turn the lights off or only when you select side lights and beyond?

When you actually put reverse, what happens then? Do they stay on or some other lights come on?

Could just be a wire exposed crossing over with the side lights but seems unlikely. Might be someone has done some bad coding and set your reverse lights as side light coding or something like that. Do you have vcds or obdeleven dongle to diagnose any faults?

Thanks for the reply….. yes the reverse lights come on in the daytime with no lights on…. When I select reverse sometimes the lights come on and the parking sensors work….. some times no lights and no parking sensors….. no other lights come on.. just the reverse lights .. I start the car and the reverse lights are on right away… if I turn the car off… lock it.. unlock it then the lights go off….. the rear brake and side lights are led with halogen reverse lights and indicators….. I don’t have VCDS but I have got a snap on diagnostic machine at work…

Just had a look on Autodoc, so OEM part numbers (B8 8KH) 177PS 2.0 TDI 6 speed manual transmission are 0B194152A and 0B194152B. Will be located on transmission, so you need to drop engine tray, then the under tray covering the gearbox to see it from what I understand.

Not a particularly expensive part, so definitely go Audi main dealer.

Just had a look on Autodoc, so OEM part numbers (B8 8KH) 177PS 2.0 TDI 6 speed manual transmission are 0B194152A and 0B194152B. Will be located on transmission, so you need to drop engine tray, then the under tray covering the gearbox to see it from what I understand.

https://audi.7zap.com/en/usa/audi+a4+s4+avant+quattro/a4q/2010-636/3/301-301075/#21

No.21 on this manual gearbox for the reverse switch.

Probably a PITA to find. Is your auto or manual?

https://audi.7zap.com/en/usa/audi+a4+s4+avant+quattro/a4q/2010-636/3/301-301075/#21

thanks for that picture…… mine is 6 speed manual…… looking at that picture the switch is on the side where the exhaust runs past so if it’s behind there that’s going to be a major pita….

Yeah I have ordered the switch from audi… was only £20…… I have had car on the ramp with all the bottom trays off but can’t find it…..there is one sensor or something on the left hand side of the gearbox which I unplugged but the reverse lights still came on so figured that’s not it….

Looking at DK's links, it's located on top of the gearbox. An inexpensive endoscope camera for android or iPhone to find the damn thing might be useful. Got a feeling you're going to be working blind.

thanks for that picture…… mine is 6 speed manual…… looking at that picture the switch is on the side where the exhaust runs past so if it’s behind there that’s going to be a major pita….

Looking at DK's links, it's located on top of the gearbox. An inexpensive endoscope camera for android or iPhone to find the damn thing might be useful. Got a feeling you're going to be working blind.
From looking at it yesterday and looking at DK’s link looks like I’ll have to drop the exhaust off or see if I can drop the box down a bit to get at it…….

Update…. Think I have found the sensor thanks to the diagram from DK…..has anyone ever changed one of these as it looks to me like the gearbox has to be dropped to get at it….

By cramming my phone into the tiniest gap a got a picture of this which is in the location I think on the diagram….. the part Audi has sent me looks like a typical reverse switch…. 22mm nut with a black plug but this doesn’t look like many I’ve seen before

Attachments

• B0C715B3-626D-4279-A9E0-302991E22FB2.jpeg
    B0C715B3-626D-4279-A9E0-302991E22FB2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 108
  • 9A6E4B95-DC2B-4D63-BCB3-6F5A7B0FC12C.jpeg
    9A6E4B95-DC2B-4D63-BCB3-6F5A7B0FC12C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 105
  • BDF99203-4148-45BA-BD87-11123F1CCE40.jpeg
    BDF99203-4148-45BA-BD87-11123F1CCE40.jpeg
    763.1 KB · Views: 95
Any updates?

No not yet I’m afraid…… I’m having a word with where I bought the car and see if I can get them to sort it as it looks a gearbox drop to do it…… for the meantime I have had to take the reverse light bulbs out……

I did put the car back on the ramp at work and had a real good dig round but after comparing the diagram you sent me ( thanks ) to the gearbox I don’t think it is the same gearbox…. Mine has a sensor on the left hand side just above where the slave cylinder is but it is not shown on the diagram….

Oh….. can’t believe I have only just noticed but the diagram is for a Quattro gearbox….. mine is only front wheel drive..!…

Ah I'm sorry I missed that in your original post!
The only one I can find is this one but it says 2006 so don't know if this would be your gearbox.

Part number 8

Thanks again for taking the time to send me that…. Unfortunately from looking at my gearbox on the ramp at work that doesn’t look like the box in my car either..!…. I’ve searched everywhere online to find out where it is but no luck…. I’m beginning to think there must be some other system that deals with the reverse lights…. I’ve taken lots of gearboxes off lots of motors in my time and the reverse switch is always easy to spot…. Not the case with this one..!…. Might have to ring Audi and see if I can get any info off them….

No.32 is the reverse switch and it look like its near the top of the gearbox.

Screenshot 2021 08 28 at 220747