Reverse light - no "bulb out" warning?

The Governor

Reaction score
Just to prove I can over think any part of my life :whistle2:My wife noticed I only have a single reverse light lit hwen reversing (obviously!).

I am right in thinking that there should be two aren't I? And should I have expected the car to tell me a bulb is out or does it only do that for ceertain bulbs?

I've only had the thing 2 months and already have to replace a bulb, I guess I could make Audi do it as the car is less than 12 months old... but I don't knwo if I can be bothered with the rigmarole!

Is that right? The light cluster has the clear/white bit on both sides, is that just for asthestics then? So my 3 door only has a reverse light on the left (as you look at the back) is that correect and like yours?

Why would there be a difference between the 5 door and 3 door I wonder, I'm struggling to understand the logic on that one :)

Just been out to check, for the benefit of anyone coming along later and querying this:

3 Door 8P (2011):

The left hand side clear lense inner is the reverse light
The right hand side clear lense inner is the fog light
The outside of the clear lense on both sides is the indicator.

Top job chaps, you just saved me an embarrassing call to Audi!

Thanks, you're all a hive of information :friends:

I felt very similar when i read about this a little while ago mate:blush:.. one of the things i'm looking forward to on my SB (when it's delivered) is having two reversing lights!! lol

How bright you need them Amar lol.

but they aint that bright lol
To be honest i don't find my reversing light to be bright enough at the min.. with the privacy glass and no street lighting out where I live, I have to sit there for a minute to let my eyes adjust from the bi-xenons :wub: before I have any chance of seeing when reversing onto my drive at night...:blink:

Reversing lights are there to warn pedestrians and other road users that you are reversing.

They are not intended, or designed, to light up the rear of the vehicle unlike, in the old days, rally cars with spotlights for reversing !

Reversing lights are there to warn pedestrians and other road users that you are reversing.

They are not intended, or designed, to light up the rear of the vehicle unlike, in the old days, rally cars with spotlights for reversing !
so how are you meant to see behind you when it's night time!? headlights aren't just to warn others of your presence, they are mainly so you can see where you're going! Seems stupid really that reverse lights aren't designed/used for the same purpose!

Doesn't really help you see, though.. Unless you have night vision on the camera I guess. And I'm not a bat! I need more than just beeps to "see" with!!! :)

Doesn't really help you see, though.. Unless you have night vision on the camera I guess. And I'm not a bat! I need more than just beeps to "see" with!!! :)

Sorry mate - you'll have to have a word with Audi then !!!lol :icon_thumright:

maybe I'll just put some brighter lights on my drive lol

lol, with led interiors then you'll be seen from the next galaxy lmfao.