Reverse light 8P 3dr

Brennan

Former Audi Driver
Reaction score
So my mates car is doing something very strange, the reverse light has turned into a rear fog light. Not quite sure how this has happened..

Put the car into reverse, no white reverse light however put the rear fog on and the reverse light comes on as a fog.

Read somewhere online that there is only one reverse light on an 8p, even though there looks like there is two.

Had both bulb holders out of both tail lights and there's a bigger reverse bulb on the passenger side. I'm really confused

Anyone know what's going on?

Just saw this on google, fog seem to be on passenger side

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418160346044093

Mates car with fog on

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418160361061214

Really confused now

Not sure what's going on then. This a3 of his really confuses me, defo not as straightforward as my a4.

We tried brand new big bulb on the other side and it didn't work, not lighting up

Northern Ireland :( I'll take a wild guess and say you're across the water. Not too many active NI members here

Yes there is a reverse light failure warning on the display between the dials

I read these cars have some sort of reverse light switch on the transmission?

How long has he had the car? I suspect the car has resided in Germany where it is required by law to run LHD rear lenses and LHD Xenons (if fitted). Probably a squaddies car. This requires the wiring to be altered.

When traded the rear lenses have been returned to RHD however, the wiring which has been modified has not been returned to RHD spec.

I know this as I have had personal experience of this happening. All was recorded by Audi including including modifying the rear wiring and fitting LHD Xenons to a brand new S3. Swapping bulbs will not help the wires need returned to RHD. The car in question was purchased as an approved model at 1 year old and the garage who sold it covered the cost of repairing the wires to original spec.

There is one reverse light and one fog light. The fog is on the drivers side and the reverse is on the passanger side. Simple as that mate. Oh, and to be of any use whatsoever, the reverse bulb needs upgraded, as the standard bulbs output is totally useless. I have a cree LED in mine and its the best mod ive done.

Swapped the old bulb for a brand new one and still no luck. Thinking now it may be this reverse light switch on the tranny.

Any links to these cree bulbs mate? Wouldn't mind 2 for my A4, I assume mine takes the same bulb as an A3

Yeah I know bud I meant for my A4, my car has 2 reverse lights

I have a smoked tint on my reverse lights and indicators so could be doing with brighter bulbs

If you've ever seen a car indicating and all the lights flashing and mixed up .. EG; brake lights flashing not indicators etc.... the route cause of this is often a loose earth somewhere in the boot area... Have a good look.. Not saying its this but dodgy earths have a bizzare effect on some cars !

By resided in Germany, I meant it was a RHD UK car taken to Germany for 12 months or more.
From https://www.gov.uk/living-in-germany

Importing your UK-registered vehicle from the UK to Germany
If you spend longer than 12 months of the year in Germany with your UK-registered car, German law says you must register your vehicle with the German authorities. The time starts from when you enter Germany. You will need to produce full documentation for your car, as well as your latest MOT certificate. It might also be necessary for you to switch certain lights (for example the fog light) to the other side of the car.

If your fog works in reverse and reverse works when fog is on what I have described is the cause. British armed forces buy new Audis VAT free and export them to Germany - Audi dealers do the rewiring for them. The problems arise when they return to the UK, most just switch the lights and forget/ignore the wires. LHD Xenons also need to be fitted.

sounds like a coding issue in the cent elec 46 unit . bordnetz sometimes goes tits up for a while . try to disconnect battery for an hour or so , if not it may need recoding . ive been experiencing similar faults myself , when i get chance il do a software uppdate on the bordnetz see if it fixes some of the issues im having .