Reverse camera for saloon

NM07

Reaction score
I'm interested in fitting a reverse camera to my saloon. I have a head unit that supports it, and it's all wired up to detect when the car is put into reverse, I just need to actually install the camera and get the wire run through the car.

What is the best camera mounting solution for the saloon? I've seen you can get replacement boot handles that have the camera built in, but I need to make sure the boot can still be opened via the key.

Last edited:
Two options.

Up and over along under the side of the head lining.

Down and under the side of the carpet.

I suppose it's your preference for ease of installation, neither route really has any firm advantage.

Reactions: NM07
@Garrett 69 thanks for the reply :smiley: I don't think I made my question too clear in the original post (just updated it), I was asking what the best mounting option is?

I've seen you can get replacement boot handles that have the camera built in, but I need to make sure the boot can still be opened via the key.

Richard @norad97 has a saloon with the integral switch/cam unit fitted, I expect he'll be able to clarify.
there are a few non-OE solutions out there but few are really 100% problem-free, as I know.

There are mounting brackets that you can fit behind the number plate and the camera sits either above or below the plate.
I suppose the easiest option is to have it mounted inside next to the high level brake light.

I have one that replaces one of the number plate lights. But will actually through a light warning on the dash so you have to find a work around for that.

Sent from my RMX2170 using Tapatalk

Richard @norad97 has a saloon with the integral switch/cam unit fitted, I expect he'll be able to clarify.
there are a few non-OE solutions out there but few are really 100% problem-free, as I know.
You can still operate the boot key lock and it's only the handle you replace.

Reactions: NM07 and Charlie Farley
As @Donfero says there's replace Lights that can include a camera I've saw and considered before

I'm sure the error light is down to it being an LED or something, should be able to sort that

Would be a reversible mod and no damage to OE parts keeping your key requirement intact

Thanks for the replies chaps! Some very interesting options. Does anyone have any links to recommended items? There seems to be so many different types on eBay lol it's a bit of a minefield.

Having gone through all the faff getting the cable into the tailgate and then out by the latch, mine is staying put now.

I was looking at the alpine 3 cam kit earlier, tempted but then thought, why?

Hi, this is the one I fitted to my saloon, you will find the measurements are the same as the A4 B7 handle.

Reactions: NM07 and Charlie Farley
This is what it looks like on the car.
Getting the wiring into the car from the boot is a challenge, you cannot get the wiring though the sleeving, so came out behind the large grommet on the inside off the boot lid, down the cover on the hidge and into the car.
Any questions please ask.

Attachments

• PXL_20220404_140102764.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220404_140102764.MP.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
  • PXL_20220404_140127529_exported_199_1649081702784.jpg
    PXL_20220404_140127529_exported_199_1649081702784.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: Stonedofmoo and Charlie Farley
Agreed , getting cable through the rubber boots between the car and boot or tailgate is a real challenge .
It’s probably worse on the avant but both are a pain.
lots of lubricants sprayed down the rubber boot/ groomets makes a heck of a difference and was the only way I could get it through, with the help of a coat hanger too.
In the end I had to disconnect everything from the tailgate end of the loom, then pull the loom out of the tailgate to be able to get a straight run through the rubber boot, a right old faff.

There is no way you can get the video pono lead and power lead down that sleeving, that why I did it by cutting a slot in the big grommet.
Plus, I already rewired the wiring in the sleeving using silocone wire due to broken wires, it's very tight now.

There is no way you can get the video pono lead and power lead down that sleeving, that why I did it by cutting a slot in the big grommet.
Plus, I already rewired the wiring in the sleeving using silocone wire due to broken wires, it's very tight now.
Hi Richard ,
I'd overlooked that problem with the vid plug etc.
I struggled with mine, just a small single cable that does all functions, so getting that vid plug must have been impossible.