Returning to Audi

rnm37

Reaction score
Hi all,

Returning to this forum after a 4.5 year exile in Bavaria - currently have a 2016 M Sport Plus 420i which I've really enjoyed owning.

Gone back to an Audi this time (had an A3 previously) as I got a new job recently, and the majority of my driving has changed to from B road bashing to a lot of long distance motorway commuting. As such I'm looking for a more refined cruiser, and also (in my perception) better comfort and reliability.

I've just put a deposit down on a 2019 2.0 TFSI (190PS) A5 Coupe Black Edition in Turbo Blue with 20" rotors - absolutely can't wait to collect it. (I don't like diesels so didn't really consider a TDI, particularly with the current petrol/diesel price differential)

While I attempt to contain my excitement, I have a few questions:
  1. How "boring" is the drive on the A5 really, compared to a 4 series? I've read all the reviews and have thoroughly enjoyed throwing my 4 series about the last few years, but is the difference really that big a deal for the ordinary driver? I haven't bought this A5 to take it on a track and I know what I'm signing up for, but interested in the real world feedback. The car isn't local to me, so I haven't had the opportunity to take it for a test drive.
  2. What's the practically achievable fuel economy on the 2.0TFSI in this configuration? Currently in my 30mile motorway commute in the 420i, I can hit 42-48mpg (or at least that's what shows on the trip...) and sometimes much more quite comfortably if I'm careful. I'm anticipating this A5 will be equivalent or slightly better? Auto gearbox in both cases.
  3. Why is this car a group 35 for insurance when the M Plus 420i (in my view a broadly similar car) is only a 31? Any ideas?
Cheers
rnm37

Got a similar car
b70230a7951c2cb86ad3675cfe7af68d.jpg

Good motorway cruiser and very comfy considering it’s on 20’s with 30 profile tyres.

I don’t Chuck mine around and literally just smoke about in it nice and relaxed

Round town you will struggle to get 30mpg but on a relaxed motorway cruise you will get about 47 and I have even seen 50

However mine is the mild hybrid where it knocks the gearbox into N and shuts down the engine to coast down hills which it does on the motorway pretty regularly.

Nice car though. Made up with mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk