Retrofitting PDC (Park Distance Control) + PLA (Park Lane Assist)

I can’t remember what year it is I think it’s 2008-9 ish that they came from factory with the MK60CE1 unit in. I had to change mine from the MK60 which was fun. New brake lines and manually building the massively long code from scratch later I was so happy when it finally worked lol.

The coding for the MK60CE1 contains the last 6 or 7 digits of the chassis. Some very clever people have worked out what digit translates to what. I’ve got the info saved so if people need it I can post it anytime if needed. It’s also got the coding changes needed for park assist but I think thats in the golf guide too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: MT-V6, Andreashadji and George Kost
I can’t remember what year it is I think it’s 2008-9 ish that they came from factory with the MK60CE1 unit in. I had to change mine from the MK60 which was fun. New brake lines and manually building the massively long code from scratch later I was so happy when it finally worked lol.

The coding for the MK60CE1 contains the last 6 or 7 digits of the chassis. Some very clever people have worked out what digit translates to what. I’ve got the info saved so if people need it I can post it anytime if needed. It’s also got the coding changes needed for park assist but I think thats in the golf guide too.

Please could you post all the coding info you have as I'm sure it will be useful to see, especially the ABS unit. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Will do mate there where a few different places I got it so it’s a case of grouping it all together and posting. I’m back to work on nights now so I’ll probably get around to it on my night off

Reactions: Andreashadji and MT-V6
Stupid question:will this work on manual gearbox??

Yeah it works on a manual, it works on the autos you still have to change it whatever box you’ve got

Stupid question:will this work on manual gearbox??

Yep. My guess is that it goes as follows;

1. Park your car infront of a free parking space.
2. You press the parking button on your centre dash.
2.1 The car slowly drives forward untill the sensor on the side completely scanned the free parking spot (the DIS will give you a message when finished).
3. Turn on your blinker and put the car in reverse.
4. The car will park itself in the free spot.

The car operates the steering, you do the rest. It's not a self driving system or anything unfortunately

Reactions: Andreashadji and Troubs12
If I get a sec I’ll record but this is basically how it works:

While driving below 20kmh I think you press the park assist button.

The display changes on the dash to show a car and three parallel spaces, there’s a arrow on the car to indicate you need to drive forward.

Once it’s detected a space the middle parking space will disappear and when you’re forward enough the arrow will change to an R telling you to select reverse.

The steering is taken over by the vehicle at this point but the driver can ALWAYS interrupt and grab the wheel etc. Once the wheel sees that you’re stopping it from moving it’ll cancel out.

Driver is always in control of how fast the vehicle is moving.

The system works off of a “best fit” type of setup so it’ll always try and put you in between the two cars at an equal distance.

But once it’s moving and if you see you’re gonna hit the curb or something you can take it out of reverse or 1st etc and the system will turn the wheel in the other direction to make it fit.

Here’s a vid of a Touran showing it working though his parking sensors are going off a fair bit there’s probably a lot of stuff around him. I’ll try and get a vid on my car later on today where I can show the driver intervention and stuff.

Reactions: Mr_Dude, e9_mustii, henkkeumus and 1 other person
Hiya here a vid of it working. Sorry about the poor camera angles I’m gonna do a better one in a few days. But a mate text saying I had to go pick up some bricks for a project lol.

Reactions: Mr_Dude, MT-V6, George Kost and 2 others
Thanks mate!thats pretty explanatory!!

Reactions: Mr_Dude
Totally forgot I had to pick up the parts lol, got them right away today.
It's waiting for the PDC and PLA front sensors for now, if they arrive I can start assemble the PDC first. When that is finished and working correctly I will then start with the PLA on either sides.

Whats-App-Image-2020-06-09-at-16-28-02.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr_Dude, George Kost and MT-V6
What is the difference with the rubber rings? Are the PLA ones deeper?

Does the OPS image get additional 'markers' showing for the new front side sensors?

Small update, making small progress, fitted the inner cable this weekend.

First disassembled everything from the boot. So side panel is off and I can reach everywhere behind and the parking module is totally visible.

photo-2020-06-15-10-05-33.jpg

photo-2020-06-15-10-05-31.jpg

Next up is removing the doorstrips and interior (rear).

photo-2020-06-15-10-05-29.jpg

photo-2020-06-15-10-05-27.jpg

photo-2020-06-15-10-05-25.jpg

photo-2020-06-15-10-05-23.jpg

Didn't took any pictures of removing the backseats since it's pretty straight forward. Its hold by 2 clips on the side and the backseats are hold with 1 screw and will slide out.

When I have access from front to back I started feeding the loom from the front to the back under the doorstrips.

photo-2020-06-15-10-05-22.jpg

I've connected the plug into the module and got myself as much cable to the front as possible. The cable is fed behind the glovebox so it needed to come out.

photo-2020-06-15-10-05-20.jpg

photo-2020-06-15-10-05-18.jpg

photo-2020-06-15-10-05-16.jpg

Took the radio out and removed the panel under the steeringwheel the feed the cable from the right to leftside of the car. Connected the loose connectors.

photo-2020-06-15-10-05-09.jpg

photo-2020-06-15-10-05-14.jpg

This is were I stopped. The next step is feeding the cable through the firewall into the engine compartment. I didn't want to feed the cables through and not connecting them. So next weekend I will feed it through and finish that loom. If my sensors are in by then I can dryfit it and test if it's working before drilling any holes.

There are some loose terminals I need to get info back from Kufatec regarding those but I couldn't sit still this weekend, I want to make it work :D.

Last and final check was hooking up the PDC+PLA module and see if it is registering by the CAN-GW. I fired up VCDS and for the first time I was happy seeing faultcodes in a module (front connectors not answering/ open circuit ) :D :D.
The module probs came from a model without Hitch installed, I do have one so I coded that correctly too.

Optical illustration is set to ON and within the RNS-e it's coded too. When I put it in reverse it's not displaying tho, is this because the front connectors aren't hooked up yet? (@Troubs12 ). I do have the 193G RNS-e (glossy black).

photo-2020-06-15-10-04-54.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr_Dude and George Kost
Good progress. Yep all sensors need to be connected for OPS. For my non-PLA at least, all 8 need to be connected

Reactions: henkkeumus
Good progress. Yep all sensors need to be connected for OPS. For my non-PLA at least, all 8 need to be connected

Alrighty, then I'll just wait untill the sensors come in later these weeks :)

Next time you plug in vcds, could you screenshot all the coding bytes? I'd be interested to see how it differs from mine

Next time you plug in vcds, could you screenshot all the coding bytes? I'd be interested to see how it differs from mine

Sure mate, do you have the same BCM then? I got the PQ35

What do you mean PQ35? I have module 8P0 919 475 H which is an 8 sensor front and rear one with OPS

I don't have PLA yet, just interested in what options your PLA one has

What do you mean PQ35? I have module 8P0 919 475 H which is an 8 sensor front and rear one with OPS

I don't have PLA yet, just interested in what options your PLA one has

PQ35 is the BCM model/type. It's the module under your steerwheel with three big connectors (black, white, beige).

Or do you mean the full coding for the PDC module? Because that is on the picture already.

Small update, making small progress, fitted the inner cable this weekend.

First disassembled everything from the boot. So side panel is off and I can reach everywhere behind and the parking module is totally visible.

photo-2020-06-15-10-05-33.jpg

photo-2020-06-15-10-05-31.jpg

Next up is removing the doorstrips and interior (rear).

photo-2020-06-15-10-05-29.jpg

photo-2020-06-15-10-05-27.jpg

photo-2020-06-15-10-05-25.jpg

photo-2020-06-15-10-05-23.jpg

Didn't took any pictures of removing the backseats since it's pretty straight forward. Its hold by 2 clips on the side and the backseats are hold with 1 screw and will slide out.

When I have access from front to back I started feeding the loom from the front to the back under the doorstrips.

photo-2020-06-15-10-05-22.jpg

I've connected the plug into the module and got myself as much cable to the front as possible. The cable is fed behind the glovebox so it needed to come out.

photo-2020-06-15-10-05-20.jpg

photo-2020-06-15-10-05-18.jpg

photo-2020-06-15-10-05-16.jpg

Took the radio out and removed the panel under the steeringwheel the feed the cable from the right to leftside of the car. Connected the loose connectors.

photo-2020-06-15-10-05-09.jpg

photo-2020-06-15-10-05-14.jpg

This is were I stopped. The next step is feeding the cable through the firewall into the engine compartment. I didn't want to feed the cables through and not connecting them. So next weekend I will feed it through and finish that loom. If my sensors are in by then I can dryfit it and test if it's working before drilling any holes.

There are some loose terminals I need to get info back from Kufatec regarding those but I couldn't sit still this weekend, I want to make it work :D.

Last and final check was hooking up the PDC+PLA module and see if it is registering by the CAN-GW. I fired up VCDS and for the first time I was happy seeing faultcodes in a module (front connectors not answering/ open circuit ) :D :D.
The module probs came from a model without Hitch installed, I do have one so I coded that correctly too.

Optical illustration is set to ON and within the RNS-e it's coded too. When I put it in reverse it's not displaying tho, is this because the front connectors aren't hooked up yet? (@Troubs12 ). I do have the 193G RNS-e (glossy black).

photo-2020-06-15-10-04-54.jpg

Hiya mate sorry I’ve been running around all day. Yeah the display won’t work until all 10 sensors, buzzers, buttons are all connected and working. It’s a all or nothing system.

Coming back to the question whetever I should buy a new bumper with all the hole precut in them.
I found a black beauty in Germany for €150,- it even got the PLA holes in it already..

If it got the same colorcode as mine I think I'll do it.

$_59.JPG

$_59.JPG

Wow tha PLA holes are huge!!
Can you post a picture the PDC bracket next to the PLA bracket for comparison?

Wow tha PLA holes are huge!!
Can you post a picture the PDC bracket next to the PLA bracket for comparison?

Got them in the workplace, I'll be there this weekend.
I've posted a previouse picture where you can see the difference aswell.

The PDC sensors only scan "ahead" where the PLA also scans to the "sides". It got a wider gap for the sensor infrared I guess.
Sensor size stays the same, only the brackets make the difference in hole size :).

Whats-App-Image-2020-06-09-at-16-28-02.jpg

Maybe the bracket is larger so it can make it to 90 degrees angle with the car. The Side of the bumper is not parallel with the car I think.

how much you think the total parts cost is gonna be (minus the bumper as you could possibly cut the holes yourself)

this is one of those mods i really would wanna do, but cant think of when id actually use it in practice. itd be one of those mods to show up much newer/more expensive cars. like the time my cousin was showing me the reverse camera on his 2017 mercedes as if it were cutting edge, then showed him the front and rear cameras on my 2011 a3!
imagine having the car park itself as well lol

how much you think the total parts cost is gonna be (minus the bumper as you could possibly cut the holes yourself)

this is one of those mods i really would wanna do, but cant think of when id actually use it in practice. itd be one of those mods to show up much newer/more expensive cars. like the time my cousin was showing me the reverse camera on his 2017 mercedes as if it were cutting edge, then showed him the front and rear cameras on my 2011 a3!
imagine having the car park itself as well lol

I will create a summ at the end of fitting everything.
A global overview of the cost now are;

Kufatec cables: ~€80,-
Audi parts (sensorsbrackets/rubbers etc): ~€60,-
PDC+PLA Module: ~50,- (from scrapcar)
Centre dashboard buttons trim: €35,- (from scrapcar)
Additional wires: €10,-
Actual PDC and PLA sensors: ~€40,- (from China, not Audi original).

So that makes a total of around €275,-.
As I said, I will make a detailed total summ at the end when I fitted everything etc :).

And yeah, my first intention was to fit front PDC. But diving into this deeper I found out that PLA is using the same system and just a few wires and holes in the bumper away :).

Reactions: Mr_Dude and samisnake
Big/small update.

Got the word they accepted my thesis and assesed it with a sufficient grade. This means I may present and "defend" my thesis in 2 weeks of questions from people who are already working in the jobspeciality I wrote my thesis for.

Another update, woke up with a pop-up on my phone from the local postage carrier. Package is on its way, this means my sensors are here at the end of the week. This means I can do a "dry fit" of the front PDC sensors and when they work I will be drilling holes in the bumper.

Next stop is bringing the brackets and sensors to a mate who will paint them in Phantom Pearl Black just like my A3 :). Aaaaaand after that and succesfully fitting those I will start fitting PLA on either sides of the A3. Guess it will take some weeks before fitting those cause of my thesis presentation in 2 weeks.

Nevertheless, almost all parts are in so I'm hyped for both :)

Reactions: Andreashadji and George Kost
Big/small update.

Got the word they accepted my thesis and assesed it with a sufficient grade. This means I may present and "defend" my thesis in 2 weeks of questions from people who are already working in the jobspeciality I wrote my thesis for.

Another update, woke up with a pop-up on my phone from the local postage carrier. Package is on its way, this means my sensors are here at the end of the week. This means I can do a "dry fit" of the front PDC sensors and when they work I will be drilling holes in the bumper.

Next stop is bringing the brackets and sensors to a mate who will paint them in Phantom Pearl Black just like my A3 :). Aaaaaand after that and succesfully fitting those I will start fitting PLA on either sides of the A3. Guess it will take some weeks before fitting those cause of my thesis presentation in 2 weeks.

Nevertheless, almost all parts are in so I'm hyped for both :)

Best of luck on your presentation mate!!

Yet again, small update.

Got my sensors in today, went to get them at my parents house directly.
Did a dry fit with the brackets and rubbers and they seem to fit nicely!

Next saturday I want to dry fit everything without drilling any holes etc. Unfortunatly I still dont have the PDC buzzer yet and I'm not sure if that needs to be connected for the system to fully work though.

Well, got some days left and since I ordered the buzzer first and then sensors I'll guess it will be here this week too.

photo-2020-06-29-14-44-40.jpg

photo-2020-06-29-14-44-48.jpg

photo-2020-06-29-14-44-50.jpg

Reactions: samisnake, Andreashadji and George Kost
As we say in Holland "De kogel is door de kerk" wich roughly translates in "The bullet is shot through the church" what means that a decision in made or something is made clear.

I AM GRADUATED :D.

Means I will be 100% going for finishing this fit right now. Got some new parts from BM-Parts.nl (PDC buzzer and two more front sensors that are already painted in color).

Reactions: Andreashadji, e9_mustii, George Kost and 1 other person
Well done mate!!!Congrats!!!

Well done buddy I’m over the moon for you. I’ve been working like crazy later so haven’t had much time to get on and post however the sensor hole sizes I’ve tried to take a couple of pictures but it’s raining like mad here the pdc sensors I would make a 15mm hole to start and increase by 1mm until the sensor and the seal can fit in completely. The pla sensors are slightly larger as the bracket turns the sensor to face the sides. I’d go 25mm and again increase by 1mm each time until the bracket fits nice and snug.

284ab57b648e79355c12488ff1cac17a.jpg

79ea0182b72272b77612814ecf6e04e5.jpg

When you stick the pdc sensor brackets in place it’d be a good idea to have a sensor in there for alignment.

Steering (44) adaption channel 3 set to 2

Dash (17) coding in the valve ????xxx it’s +0128 for park assist.

No coding change for abs on park assist 1 only 2 needs a real as the abs sensors for the rear are different.

Good luck with the instal tomorrow man, I’m working tonight but will be up tomorrow afternoon if you run into trouble or advice just send a message bud

Reactions: Andreashadji and henkkeumus
There is also a plastic die too for the sensors that I used for the front ones. If you see my thread that I linked further up there is a photo of it

Wouldn't be big enough for the side sensors though

Well done buddy I’m over the moon for you. I’ve been working like crazy later so haven’t had much time to get on and post however the sensor hole sizes I’ve tried to take a couple of pictures but it’s raining like mad here the pdc sensors I would make a 15mm hole to start and increase by 1mm until the sensor and the seal can fit in completely. The pla sensors are slightly larger as the bracket turns the sensor to face the sides. I’d go 25mm and again increase by 1mm each time until the bracket fits nice and snug.

284ab57b648e79355c12488ff1cac17a.jpg

79ea0182b72272b77612814ecf6e04e5.jpg

When you stick the pdc sensor brackets in place it’d be a good idea to have a sensor in there for alignment.

Steering (44) adaption channel 3 set to 2

Dash (17) coding in the valve ????xxx it’s +0128 for park assist.

No coding change for abs on park assist 1 only 2 needs a real as the abs sensors for the rear are different.

Good luck with the instal tomorrow man, I’m working tonight but will be up tomorrow afternoon if you run into trouble or advice just send a message bud

Legend!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 with Tapatalk

Ayyyy the PLA sensors also came in today. Gotta bring those to the painter together with the brackets. Will fit those somewhere next week I guess!

Bit of a small bummer today, did a testfit and it turns out I need my PLA sensors to be installed too to get a fully working system. Well get the things painted ASAP so I can fit them. I will upload a video later today explaining the situation.