Retrofitting Matrix LEDs?

Zygote

Reaction score
So I love my A3 and I am fairly happy with the options I opted in and out for. However, I slightly regret not going for the Matrix LED headlamps.

Does anyone know if its possible to swap out the Xenon lamps for Matrix Leds? I assume this would involve replacing the front lights completely and its probably anything but cheap, but Id still be curious to know if its at all possible and if Audi would do it.

Cheers!

Think it's been discussed before at around 2k or 3k per side

Sadly the A3/S3 do not offer Matrix LEDs.

Just normal LEDs

Which is why I didn't spec it on mine.

They. Are. Not. Matrix.

The are normal LEDs with no Matrix behaviour.

ie: Incapable of individual illumination or extinguishing within the Matrix to adapt to ambient and forward lighting conditions.

If they were Matrix LEDs I would have spec'd them.

They are just normal LED headlights.

Reactions: Stephen C and Pulp84
Sadly the A3/S3 do not offer Matrix LEDs.

Just normal LEDs

Which is why I didn't spec it on mine.

This. I think the LEDs on the A3 are a bit of a con tbh - I'd expect full matrix ones from Audi, as used on their more expensive models. I don't really see the standard LEDs offering much over Xenons and personally feel the money is better spent elsewhere but that's just me :)

yes, each to their own. Im a fan of LED Technology and was the first option i ticked. I think the DRL/Indicator is especially different to the Xenon headlights. The whole DRL is also the indicator on the LED headlights.

While they are not matrix headlights i would say the main differences are:

1, The cutoffs where they are more defined lines on the xenon lights i remember reading somewhere they are blurred to help the eye ease the transition of light to dark while driving or something along those lines.

2, no warm up time (not a big deal but a difference none the less) LED are instant full brightness. Xenon take a few seconds to reach full brightness due to the gas ignition and then the gas reaching working temperature.

3, Xenon lights feature Cornering lights where the beam actively swivels with steering wheel movement. LEDS do not have this feature. However the LEDS do have lights that come on when approaching junctions, parking and at other times. while they don't follow the road i think they provide extra light which i find useful in certain situations. (especially parking in the dark!)

4, (A favourite of mine) the DRL strips double as indicators. They look much cooler on the LED lights compared to Halogen and Xenon i think. not sure what would be in the space of the indicator on the xenon lights if it was the same setup. (not sure where the full beam is as only had a demo car with xenons for a weekend back in april)

overall I'm happy with my choice of LED and would buy them again without a doubt. I can see how some others might view my decision as further down their list of preferred options, like colour for example. that what makes us different the ability of choice. It would be nice to see an evolution of the LED headlights on the A3/S3. Ive seen the matrix LEDs on the A8 which are awesome. Also, i notice that on the A4/S4 that LEDS are not an option, only Xenon. maybe in a refresh they would be available but who knows whether they'd be matrix or not?

Hi Anyone do retrofit to audi and vw get a job needs to be done if possible ? ( North East area ) cheers

3, Xenon lights feature Cornering lights where the beam actively swivels with steering wheel movement. LEDS do not have this feature. However the LEDS do have lights that come on when approaching junctions, parking and at other times. while they don't follow the road i think they provide extra light which i find useful in certain situations. (especially parking in the dark!)

You are wrong to say that this is an LED only feature. My xenons have static cornering lights too, AND the adaptive swivelling lights.

4, (A favourite of mine) the DRL strips double as indicators. They look much cooler on the LED lights compared to Halogen and Xenon i think. not sure what would be in the space of the indicator on the xenon lights if it was the same setup. (not sure where the full beam is as only had a demo car with xenons for a weekend back in april)

I think they look worse actually, and not as visible, but each to their own. Full beam on the xenons is the same light as dipped beam - the light swivels up. This is what the bi in bi-xenon means - same light used for both.

Bi-xenon. There are two common ways of achieving this. The first is by moving the bulb itself, so that it aims appropriately, or secondly, by using a fixed bulb with movable reflectors that achieve the same goal.

Actually, how the bi-xenon is implemented in the A3/S3 is by using a shutter. You can hear the mechanism on idle, flicking the main beam/flash.

Not on mine, it has variable range control. It swivels the lights upwards, you can see them move!

I guess once they have the stuff in there to swivel them side to side, it's not much extra to add up/down.

I thought it was law that ALL xenons had the up/down feature. Hence why boy racers fail MOT coz their HID kits don't adjust to avoid dazzling other road users.

All xenons indeed do have auto adjust heights with motors for self levelling.

The standard xenons have a shutter to switch between dipper and main beam - it does not use the up/down motor to do the beam switching.

That's the sound of your passenger's sphincter.

Reactions: The Challinor