Retrofitting auto hold on Facelift 8V……

Nessy

VW + Audi mad
Reaction score
I’ve spent half the day searching this forum and think that I know the answers but would appreciate others confirming it….
I’m in the process of buying a manual 2018 (so facelift/FL) Black Edition 8V without auto hold and would like to retro-fit it.
I believe that on pre-facelift (PFL) cars then it can be coded in , either with or without a button.
Everything that I’ve read about the FL cars says that an error comes up if it’s just coded in without fitting the button/wiring as the system looks for an LED in a button that isn’t there.
Consequently, the only way to get auto hold to work in a FL car is to buy and fit the button /loom and code it in.
Have I got this right so far?
My next question is whether the loom/wiring for the switch is the same for PFL and FL models?
Are there any proprietary kits available from VAG to do this retrofit?
I fitted cruise control to my TT using a Genuine kit which came with switch and various looms as well as a wiring diagram and have come across an eBay seller with an auto hold kit comprising Genuine switch plus loom (which looks Genuine) but at £120 it seems rather pricey to me…..
Thanks.

I’ve spent half the day searching this forum and think that I know the answers but would appreciate others confirming it….
I’m in the process of buying a manual 2018 (so facelift/FL) Black Edition 8V without auto hold and would like to retro-fit it.
I believe that on pre-facelift (PFL) cars then it can be coded in , either with or without a button.
Everything that I’ve read about the FL cars says that an error comes up if it’s just coded in without fitting the button/wiring as the system looks for an LED in a button that isn’t there.
Consequently, the only way to get auto hold to work in a FL car is to buy and fit the button /loom and code it in.
Have I got this right so far?
My next question is whether the loom/wiring for the switch is the same for PFL and FL models?
Are there any proprietary kits available from VAG to do this retrofit?
I fitted cruise control to my TT using a Genuine kit which came with switch and various looms as well as a wiring diagram and have come across an eBay seller with an auto hold kit comprising Genuine switch plus loom (which looks Genuine) but at £120 it seems rather pricey to me…..
Thanks.
yes that seems expensive I got the switch from ebay £27 and the loom from aliexpress £20 so less than £50 mine still isn't fully wired in due to nobody wanting to wire it in to the abs module as i have an e-tron and it's a PITA i have been told.

yes that seems expensive I got the switch from ebay £27 and the loom from aliexpress £20 so less than £50 mine still isn't fully wired in due to nobody wanting to wire it in to the abs module as i have an e-tron and it's a PITA i have been told.
Thanks , I’ve seen the looms on AliExpress and for about £20 can get one.
What puts me off though is the lack of a clear wiring diagram for this mod and the fact that the Chinese ones appear to use random wire colours?
If I buy a Kufatec loom then it’ll come with a wiring diagram (although some folk appear to have had issues in the past with duff info from Kufatec diagrams?) which is the biggest obstacle for me at the moment.
I’ve found plenty of threads and guides about this retrofit but none are what I regard as explicit with decent pics , plenty of descriptions but pictures can speak a thousand words as they say……

It can be enabled only with a 5Q0 ABS module. 3Q0 ABS module needs the button.

Button can be found for 15 euro, loom from AliExpress for 20 euro.

Last edited:
Hello, sorry for jumping in on a topic. So, for this module bellow (which is in my car), auto-hold can be coded without a button?

Address 03: ABS Brakes (J104) Labels: 5Q0-907-379-IPB-V1.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 614 517 CF HW: 5Q0 614 517 AD
Component: ESC H25 0513

@FPSUsername do you have complete coding for enabling this?

Manually code the changes, do not copy (abs) codings you see online.
In the linked thread at the last page (conveniently already linked to the right comment), you'll see what long coding you have to do. In one of the other pages you'll see what else to change. Read from the newest post backwards so you don't copy over old mistakes (on the new coding changes).

Yes, of course it should be manually done.

I will try to read the thread you mentioned. and see if I can figure it out. But, I am not super familiar with VCDS coding, I have done some basic stuff.

It would be perfect if there is one post where everything is summarized.

From post 56 do not do step 3 (byte 23, 25), refer to the post mentioned above (post 98).

Reactions: HaloPreka
@FPSUsername So this should be it, summarized in one post. Can you confirm?

Address 03: ABS Brakes

Adaptations:

03-ABS -> Security-16 -> Code "20103" -> Adaptation-10 -> AUTO HOLD functional status, always active
03-ABS -> Security-16 -> Code "24990" -> Adaptation-10 -> AUTO HOLD functionality, active

Coding:

Long Coding, Select the following HEX values:

- byte 08 - change to 03
- byte 19 - change to C0

- byte 23 - enable bit 0
- byte 25 - enable bit 1 (if you don't have auto-hold button)

Last edited:
OK , this thread has got me totally confused now!
I’ve got a 2018 model Facelift 8V with ABS module 5Q0 614 517 CG , which going by a few recent posts can have Auto Hold enabled just by coding?
So the opposite of what I’d been led to believe (that Facelift cars HAVE to have the button fitted)?
Or does this only apply to Pre-Facelift cars?

Hey. No, I was confused also. But I tried on the same module you have and it is only for PFL cars. For FL cars coding ia different but I guess it does not work without the actual button.

Auto hold is enabled, but because of the error it does not activate it.

Here is the thread with correct coding for FL cars:

Maybe someone will solve mentioned error and it can be done without the button, bur for now I could not find anywhere that someone solved it.

Reactions: Nessy
Hey. No, I was confused also. But I tried on the same module you have and it is only for PFL cars. For FL cars coding ia different but I guess it does not work without the actual button.

Auto hold is enabled, but because of the error it does not activate it.

Here is the thread with correct coding for FL cars:

Maybe someone will solve mentioned error and it can be done without the button, bur for now I could not find anywhere that someone solved it.
Thanks for clarifying.
I’m resigned to having to fit the actual button and loom etc.
It will have to wait for 12 months though as my car is under warranty and I don’t want to fiddle with things until the warranty has expired.

Thanks for clarifying.
I’m resigned to having to fit the actual button and loom etc.
It will have to wait for 12 months though as my car is under warranty and I don’t want to fiddle with things until the warranty has expired.
Yeah, better not to do it until warranty expires. Mine car is FL from 2018, and it is not under warranty, so I could do it, but the problem is I can find the way around coding, but I am very bad at wiring and that stuff.

Did you find any good tutorial for fitting the button and loom? If yes, it would be great to share.

No, I think the most detailed instructions come with the Kufatec kits , otherwise I’ve just been reading all the threads on here……..

Some interesting info here peeps for Hold Assist https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/4786/

I have a FL Sportsback and had the Hold Assist retrofitted by VAGpro which included wiring, genuine button and coding. From what I can see from the coding (I have my own VCDS HEX-V2) the only ABS module 03 changes are detailed below. Hopefully this info will help others ;)

Pre Hold Assist, before coding
Coding: 329C938D549E1BAC89980B6A4195694CC92AD891D082967602410074820812
Byte 8
Byte 19
Byte 23

Post Hold Assist with loom, button & coding change
Coding: 329C938D549E1BAC4B980B6A4195694CC92AD8D2D082967302410074820812
Byte 8
1001011 (Bit 1 select)
Byte 19
11010010 (Bit 1 select)
Byte 23
1110011 (Bit 0 select, Bit 2 unselect)

Note: remember folks Bit 0 is at the RHS of the binary string and Bit 7 is at the extreme LHS.

Reactions: HaloPreka and Nessy
Some interesting info here peeps for Hold Assist https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/4786/

I have a FL Sportsback and had the Hold Assist retrofitted by VAGpro which included wiring, genuine button and coding. From what I can see from the coding (I have my own VCDS HEX-V2) the only ABS module 03 changes are detailed below. Hopefully this info will help others ;)

Pre Hold Assist, before coding
Coding: 329C938D549E1BAC89980B6A4195694CC92AD891D082967602410074820812
Byte 8
Byte 19
Byte 23

Post Hold Assist with loom, button & coding change
Coding: 329C938D549E1BAC4B980B6A4195694CC92AD8D2D082967302410074820812
Byte 8
1001011 (Bit 1 select)
Byte 19
11010010 (Bit 1 select)
Byte 23
1110011 (Bit 0 select, Bit 2 unselect)

Note: remember folks Bit 0 is at the RHS of the binary string and Bit 7 is at the extreme LHS.
Thanks for posting the info!
It’s great to hear about the job on a FL as there’s so much Pre-FL info about……

Reactions: nah33d., HaloPreka and Harvey
Part of enabling it on my PFL was a setting that disabled the setting to the car looking for the button LED. I followed this vid for reference: Youtube

Part of enabling it on my PFL was a setting that disabled the setting to the car looking for the button LED. I followed this vid for reference: Youtube
Thanks , yes have come across that video.
I think that’s it’s fairly well documented now though that with the FL models you have no option but to fit the button & loom to get auto hold to work.

Reactions: pxuL
I'm just about 75% through this retrofit, all I have left to do is pin up the ABS module. It's ******* down with rain now so that's a job for another day, plus I have to have my car drivable for work and so I have put the interior all back together.

I plan to do the rest on a nice weather day, but before I continue, can I confirm with you guys that it's pin 23 and 32 in the ABS unit that I need to put these cables in?

It's a facelifted 2017 S3.

Thanks.

I'm just about 75% through this retrofit, all I have left to do is pin up the ABS module. It's ******* down with rain now so that's a job for another day, plus I have to have my car drivable for work and so I have put the interior all back together.

I plan to do the rest on a nice weather day, but before I continue, can I confirm with you guys that it's pin 23 and 32 in the ABS unit that I need to put these cables in?

It's a facelifted 2017 S3.

Thanks.
Can you make a log of the coding you have to do as I have a 2017 facelift car and hoping to get this all sorted

I gave it ago myself, but it's too time consuming finding bits of info here and there, and so I took my car to @DJAlix who had it all installed and coded in the time it took me to drink a coffee and eat a chicken burger at the wetherspoons opposite.

VAG Car Coding Limited
020 3842 6408

I'll probably just give him any other retrofits I decide on.