Retrofitting anti dazzle exterior mirrors

sub39h

Reaction score
hi there guys,

i've recently swapped my 1.6 for a 55 reg 2.0T. the spec on the new car is nearly spot on, but it's missing auto dimming exterior mirrors .

i've seen a set on ebay for £69 each brand new. i wanted to make sure they fit and wanted to ask how easy they'd be to retrofit.

part numbers and links:

LH - 8E0857535G

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-Audi-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eadcfad79

RH - 8E0857536P

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-Audi-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eadcfaed6

Cheers in advance,

S.

Do you already have the auto-dimming rear view mirror as the wing mirrors use the same sensors.

Ok that was the only pre-req I could advise on.

Now someone else needs to come along as advise how to retrofit :)

meant to ask over on vagoc if youd had the mirror covers off yet to check if there are 4 connectors availible there, if so its plug n play

haven't got the car yet. if they do then this will be really straight forward. will update when i get the car on Thursday... (can't wait to see dad's face when the first thing i do when i bring the car home is to rip the wing mirror glass off!)

cheers for the input Phil & Phil!

Haha no worries mate, first thing me and dad did with mine was started stripping (this being the a3 not the s3, it obviously required stripping :laugh:) the car go waxoiled everywhere the next owner shouldnt see any rust

For a start thats the old style version mate, forget them, get the rimless version, much better & nicer overall, 2nd do you need an installer as I can do this for you, needs wiring all way from the door module, through pillars to the rear view, let me know if I can be of assistance.

i had noticed that. my current 1.6 has them too! personally i like the black borders, makes the mirrors look less delicate and the car they're going on are black anyways so shouldn't matter too much. i can't find any others anyway, and £69 seems like less than i should be paying. i'm sure you'd be able to correct me on that!

there's a very very good chance i'll need someone to wire them. where are you based and idea of cost?

cheers!!

S.

i had noticed that. my current 1.6 has them too! personally i like the black borders, makes the mirrors look less delicate and the car they're going on are black anyways so shouldn't matter too much. i can't find any others anyway, and £69 seems like less than i should be paying. i'm sure you'd be able to correct me on that!

there's a very very good chance i'll need someone to wire them. where are you based and idea of cost?

I have various areas to do work in, so give me an area then can advise, even at your workplace.

The black borders interfere with the mirror when trying to get a wide angle viewing, it stops it from going any further out, but your choice fella, tbh it does look **** with the border, trust me as had them on my 8L, really annoyed me the angle issue & the look.

mainly in Birmingham but my parents live in Leeds so can be seen around Yorkshire on a fairly regular basis as well. currently not working until August (i'm a student awaiting graduation in a week) so free during office hours but as i said i don't have the car yet.

obviously you know better than be NHN, and your advice is not being taken lightly but my decision is being driven by cost and convenience. (and i agree they'd look naff on a non-black car no doubt.) however that's the first set i've seen on ebay for a while, and as i said they seem a good deal at £69 each. if you reckon the non border ones would be better then i'll start trying to track a set of those down. mind suggesting where i should start my search and what price i should expect to pay?

cheers again,

S.

Take my word for it, non border ones are better overall, I'll see if I can find some.

Would take half a day realistically to fit & test depending on if the sides have the wires to the door modules already, if not then have to fit wires into the mirrors aswell, this is a bastardo of a job, but can be done.

on vagoc there's a thread where aliases were being explained, and you explained your name. something about typos that i didn't understand.

Just a though, how comes a few people know my real name :uhm:
Almost negates the purpose of an internet alias lol

Its not hard to work it out ! And seems a letter dropper haa haa!!! Most are on Vagoc too remember!!!!! :yahoo:

Tick Toc Nige, remember times running out too Matey!!!! You must be snowed under!!!

I was nicely informed I have another week so cool huh lmfao, around the 15th August, phewwwww

haa haa you not really wanna go??? You going to miss us all!!! :friends:

What you now will know is its not 247365, as I will be working over here still so going back & forth anyway.

am i missing something?

I'm due a baby girl in 4-6 weeks mate & moving to Italy but I also will be back & forth so relax can still do your stuff fella.

nigel,

i was thinking that i some point i'd like to retrofit dumbos to my car, so maybe should do this instead? i know they're not a straight swap, so it all comes down to how technically difficult they are to fit (and how much you'd charge me for the pleasure)!

Would that also need to include dimming & folding?

yeah it does. sorry, forgot to mention that.

Last edited:
Sub I just did a write up on Nigel's work on almost the same thing: labelled 'The NHN Retrofitting Service'.

Not really that much info in the thread but you can take a look at how things went from my perspective. He has also done Smudge's recentley and numberous work on others and his own work.

Good Luck.

Scratch my last comment. Just saw that you have already been to the thread!!

any ideas on parts prices yet nigel? or how much of a pig this is gonna be?

cheers,

S.

PS - got my 2.0T today, f'ing amazing!!

Congrats on the new delicery sub! Get some pics up on the sticky ASAP :)

Probably best to PM nigel about parts and costs and he will pick up when he sees it.