Retrofit virtual cockpit

Asif

Reaction score
hey there guys,

I’m looking to retro fit virtual cockpit and the facelift media system on my pre facelift s3. Wanted to know whether this can be done. Got some Info from another guy that previously had it retro fitted saying the mileage will be wrong on the VC. Wanted to know whether there will be anyway I can keep track of my original mileage after retrofitting VC.

At the moment its impossible to adapt Virtual Cockpit milage, even forwards. Post retrofit your vehicles milage will be recorded correctly within the engine ECU but your new (or used) Virtual Cockpit will begin counting from whatever milage it had on it at the point of retrofitting.

If I buy the facelift mmi... MIB2, would the mileage be recorded in that media system? Or would it only be on the ecu? I’m going to be keeping the car for long... but I only service my car when the notification comes up on the mmi, main reason which is making me think about this retrofit.

If I buy the facelift mmi... MIB2, would the mileage be recorded in that media system? Or would it only be on the ecu? I’m going to be keeping the car for long... but I only service my car when the notification comes up on the mmi, main reason which is making me think about this retrofit.
No the MMI only displays information re your services intervals. That data is actually stored within your Instrument cluster (clocks / virtual cockpit) and ECU. A good retrofitter will adjust these in order to compensate for your existing / new milage so that your car is then serviced at the correct time. Then once the next service has been completed your intervals can be reset to normal.

Oh alright. I have purchased the facelift mmi from mark, the guy with the red RS3, he said you supplied and fitted for him. I wanted to know whether I had to get the car protection removed or is it just plug and play.

Oh alright. I have purchased the facelift mmi from mark, the guy with the red RS3, he said you supplied and fitted for him. I wanted to know whether I had to get the car protection removed or is it just plug and play.
Although I completed his Virtual Cockpit retrofit when he had the Red PFL RS3 (which has been sold, has a FL RS3 now) I did not do the MMI.

Edit: Sorry, meant to say... I did not o the MMI so am not sure what "state" the unit you have is in. Normally they need component protection removing.

Oh alright. Il message you soon for a price on the virtual cockpit screen and Audi R8 steering wheel. If you can price me with how much it will cost to fit code and labour please.

Also regarding to fitting the VC screen I have heard people either cutting there dash a little bit or buying the facelift dash, I was gonna get you to cut the dash a little bit as im planning to keep the car so once the VC is fitted I doubt I will ever take it to stock.

Reactions: David McQueen
Oh alright. Il message you soon for a price on the virtual cockpit screen and Audi R8 steering wheel. If you can price me with how much it will cost to fit code and labour please.

Also regarding to fitting the VC screen I have heard people either cutting there dash a little bit or buying the facelift dash, I was gonna get you to cut the dash a little bit as im planning to keep the car so once the VC is fitted I doubt I will ever take it to stock.
Best to fire me over an email: hello@vagcarcoding.com

You mean cutting a lot? lol A fair bit of material has to be removed. Just so you know, I no longer cut dashboards and only supply a new "Virtual Cockpit Dashboard". Cutting a dash is fine but there are no mounting points for the virtual cockpit to go if done that way, which I cannot warranty will be issue free. Saying that I have had no issues so far, have done a lot of these retrofits, but I can no longer warranty something I know could well go wrong in the future.

Reactions: Dunedin and Schizophonic
Lol, didn’t know how much cutting was needed. Il send you over email for a quote on what I need. Also my car has keyless go so the start button is on the centre currently but the mmi I got doesn’t have the button there, would it be ok if I go ahead with the R8/TTRS steering wheel and get the start button on the steering wheel instead?

Lol, didn’t know how much cutting was needed. Il send you over email for a quote on what I need. Also my car has keyless go so the start button is on the centre currently but the mmi I got doesn’t have the button there, would it be ok if I go ahead with the R8/TTRS steering wheel and get the start button on the steering wheel instead?
We can retrofit a fully working TTrs / R8 wheel and have all the buttons working. For this I will only retrofit a wheel and airbag that I supply as the retrofit is not straight forward.

Shoot me over an email and we can talk about this further.

Too bad all of you are in Europe. I need to update my MMI to the MMI 2 and get the new buttons around the gear shift. This update would make an amazing difference in my life with the difference in functionality.

Too bad all of you are in Europe. I need to update my MMI to the MMI 2 and get the new buttons around the gear shift. This update would make an amazing difference in my life with the difference in functionality.

Can I naively ask why?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jassyo06
better voice recognition, apple car play, the ability to use the steering wheel to go 'back' a song or radio station. where holding a phone in your hand while driving is illegal it would be quite different to have apple CarPlay or android car play and not have your phone magnet mounted to your dash blocking some of the view of the actual audi screen.

better voice recognition, apple car play, the ability to use the steering wheel to go 'back' a song or radio station. where holding a phone in your hand while driving is illegal it would be quite different to have apple CarPlay or android car play and not have your phone magnet mounted to your dash blocking some of the view of the actual audi screen.
I'm not sure if you're aware but you can use the volume dial to go back and forward with songs. Also there are many types of phone holders to buy that don't block the mmi screen

Last edited:
The newer system has a backwards and forwards button, but the older ones don't. Also, CarPlay will also help with getting more up to date maps and better traffic. and you'd be able to use siri so you could respond to messages.

[QUOTE="Mike Feldman, post: 3147443, member: 112712"And you'd be able to use siri so you could respond to messages.[/QUOTE]

You can do this anyway as Siri transmits over the microphone. The iPhone listens for your command via the iPhone microphone but then Siri speaks via the cars microphone and acts like a phone call. It works in radio and in Media settings of the car. I use this all the time and it works perfectly. Just shout out "hey Siri" and you will get a reply. Iv had my music blasting away and it still works. To want Car Play for Air is unnecessary. To want it for the Maps is why I would want it.

For the record, I think all A3 8Vs volume button works as a forward & back button (not the steering wheel button). However, the ability to see Spotify or Apple Music Playlists isn't standard and I still haven't got this working as yet. I think the MMI cable to connect the iPhone has a lot to do with it as only genuine ones work?

Which year car do you have? Siri won't work on the 2016 or older when the phone is connected to the car. the microphone only activates on the car when using the voice control, then the car tries to control it's systems when you talk to the phone.

Which year car do you have? Siri won't work on the 2016 or older when the phone is connected to the car. the microphone only activates on the car when using the voice control, then the car tries to control it's systems when you talk to the phone.

Just updated my post so maybe that helps! I have an iPhone 7 but iPhone 6s & 7 have "Hey Siri" whilst not charging and iPhone 6 has "Hey Siri" whilst charging.

My car is a 2014 A3 so PFL and it is also the low tech, base, rubbish standard version of MMI!! You need to realise 1 thing, I am NOT talking about using the cars speech button. forget this! I am saying for you to put your phone in your car as normal, connect it via Bluetooth, then call out "Hey Siri". You will get Siri feedback through the cars speakers. You can control your phone via Siri like this, send messages, call people etc.... Obviously it won't control the MMI as you don't have Apple Car Play.

I think the big issue is the standard vs high tech package. if my iPhone 7 is connected to my car and i yell out hey siri, it won't listen. it will only listen through the bluetooth and as the bluetooth won't activate until you hit the button, the car won't let it work. so i have to disconnect the iPhone audio in order to work with siri.

I think the big issue is the standard vs high tech package. if my iPhone 7 is connected to my car and i yell out hey siri, it won't listen. it will only listen through the bluetooth and as the bluetooth won't activate until you hit the button, the car won't let it work. so i have to disconnect the iPhone audio in order to work with siri.

Dunno mate. My phone auto connects to Bluetooth when I start the car and even when on charge in the arm rest part, it is still auto connected to bluetooth.