Retrofit -upgrade check list

swisstony

Reaction score
Hi all
Following on from David Claxton old thread I have a similar wish list and need some advice. A shame he is not active on here as everything he has done was exactly what I wanted to do and he could have been useful for the finer details. Anyway not to worry maybe some other lovely people can help.
So plucking from his list I would like to do the following
Led rear light cluster
Mine are the boring all red and would like a bit style. Not a fan of the smoked look unless it was well done
B6 folding cigarette lighter
is this just a case of finding the part off Ebay and replacing mine or is it a change to the centre console ?
Heated fan washer jets
I have the heated washer jets already but would prefer the fan nozzle as the current ones are a bit rubbish
S4 brakes
What is involved in this , is it rotors, adaptors etc. If it helps I can post up photos of what I have
Electric folding mirrors
This would be a nice touch if possible
Folding rear seats
This is the big one as my last car had them but mine are the non folding type with metal firewall at the back. I have a set of rear folding seats already to hand but I guess it would cutting away the firewall and then working out how to attach hangers for the seats to swivel and clip into.

As always will be happy to take some advice from anybody, appreciate it

It's a saloon Nigel.
special edition 2.0tfsi quattro

It's a saloon Nigel.
special edition 2.0tfsi quattro
oh sorry, I thought I had mentioned that or it came up on the profile. My apologies. You are spot on....
Hang on..you are not Rob from Audiownersclub...:suspicion::suspicion:

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Electric folding mirrors:
can be done but you need specific door modules that support that function, also the folding switch on the door control .
Just so you know , you can use Seat parts as they are the same for a given year.
there are a few write up's on the B7 forum on this very upgrade.
oh sorry, I thought I had mentioned that or it came up on the profile. My apologies. You are spot on....
Hang on..you are not Rob from Audiownersclub...:suspicion::suspicion:
indeedy. :icon thumright:

Last edited:
S4 brakes.
depends on what you are looking to achieve really.
cost wise, it's only a few pounds more to go with the brembo 18z setup, and they look better, but if you want to go the S4 route you need s4 discs, S4 caliper carriers as a miniumum but full s4 calipers would be better as it saves all the faffing around.
Sellers of S4 calipers can charge more than brembo 18z calipers so worth pricing up both options.
one down side with the 18z is they are much larger calipers so you need to be carefull with rim choices and offsets or they will catch.

Last edited:
Reactions: tr7
Heated fan washer jets.
very popular upgrade but make sure you get the shims first , as they can be very hard to source now.
I had a set in my desk for years and never used them, i think i gave them to another member.

Led rear light cluster
be carefull on this one as problems can arise with errors and overheating.

very doable, just check the parts section and you will see what parts you need.
most used ebay ones are well worn and tat , new prices are not to bad from audi, or ebay if new.

Folding rear seats
do you really want to do this one?

Electric folding mirrors:
can be done but you need specific door modules that support that function, also the folding switch on the door control .
Just so you know , you can use Seat parts as they are the same for a given year.
there is a few write up on the B7 forum on this very upgrade.

indeedy. :icon thumright:
The " just call me rob " was the clue :wink new:
When you say b7 forum, do you mean here or somewhere else

S4 brakes.
depends on what you are looking to achieve really.
cost wise, it's only a few pounds more to go with the brembo 18z setup, and they look better, but if you want to go the S4 route you need s4 discs, S4 caliper carriers as a miniumum but full s4 calipers would be better as it saves all the faffing around.
Seller of S4 calipers can charge more than brembo 18z calipers so worth pricing up both options.
one down side with the 18z is they are much larger calipers so you need to be carefull with rim choices and offsets or they will catch.
I see you have those ones ( the yellow ones now in bronze ? ) I will have a look to see what is the best fit .

The " just call me rob " was the clue :wink new:
When you say b7 forum, do you mean here or somewhere else
You will find prettywell all you need to know with regards to the B7 and mods on this B7 forum.
The search engine does work well once you get the swing of it.
or ask me, i'm here prettywell all the time.

Folding rear seats
do you really want to do this one?
Yes I would but given the task ahead of me I can see whay you would ask that. I was just curious at this stage what is exactly involved. By your reply I guess only a mad man would attempt it :)

It's very doable but does to a degree depend on what method you use.
fitting folding rear seats from another saloon or trying to modify non folding seats etc.
the other problem you will find is getting the same matching covers etc, lots of folding rear seats out there but not all will have the correct trim.
trim and cover can be swapped over though.

A lot of S4 B7 saloons had the folding rear seats as standard, maybe worth looking out for an S4 interior and that way you get the front recaro's too.

Last edited:
Somebody changed there name lol.

Hi all
Following on from David Claxton old thread I have a similar wish list and need some advice. A shame he is not active on here as everything he has done was exactly what I wanted to do and he could have been useful for the finer details. Anyway not to worry maybe some other lovely people can help.
Led rear light cluster
Mine are the boring all red and would like a bit style. Not a fan of the smoked look unless it was well done
is this just a case of finding the part off Ebay and replacing mine or is it a change to the centre console ?
Heated fan washer jets
I have the heated washer jets already but would prefer the fan nozzle as the current ones are a bit rubbish
S4 brakes
What is involved in this , is it rotors, adaptors etc. If it helps I can post up photos of what I have
Electric folding mirrors
Folding rear seats
This is the big one as my last car had them but mine are the non folding type with metal firewall at the back. I have a set of rear folding seats already to hand but I guess it would cutting away the firewall and then working out how to attach hangers for the seats to swivel and clip into.

And thats quite a short list on the scale of things, I have seen some way,way longer than that , but hey, if it works then thats all that matters. :icon thumright:

With the folding mirror option , dont forget the mirror cover are deatchable so if you need new mirrors you are not restrcicted to looking for a set colour, just change over your covers.

And if you need someone to fit the systems, I may know someone...

Yes I would but given the task ahead of me I can see whay you would ask that. I was just curious at this stage what is exactly involved. By your reply I guess only a mad man would attempt it :)
Check your pm's, sent you a link for some :)

Hi all
Led rear light cluster
Heated fan washer jets
S4 brakes
Electric folding mirrors
Folding rear seats

just keep in mind, there are a lot of retro fit B7 mods , some quick and easy some can be more of a challenge and expense, well pretty well everything is expensive in Audi ownership even the oldies inc B7's.
Just take your time and see how things go. :icon thumright:
most of us on the B7 forum have spent and still do spend way more on our cars than it is viable, it's just one of those things, we love our old cars and just spend on them to keep them nice and personal.

On the folding mirror mod, before you rush out and get new door modules, check the ones you have fitted and what rev they are.
It's not unusual to have the correct modules even if you don't have the folding option , anything is possible and normally is. allways pays to check , you can also get the module details when using vcds, which saves removing the door cards to start with.

On the folding mirror mod, before you rush out and get new door modules, check the ones you have fitted and what rev they are.
It's not unusual to have the correct modules even if you don't have the folding option , anything is possible and normally is. allways pays to check , you can also get the module details when using vcds, which saves removing the door cards to start with.
Hi Rob
As I made that wish list, I realised that all the replies may make the thread confusing as I am trying to keep up with the different options so I will try and rationalise each upgrade in turn. Makes more sense to my poor brain. So I think out of that list I will make some priority and the others 'potential".I.e ones I can tackle myself with some guidence and the others can follow as time allows.

So priority list is now.
Electric folding mirrors
This I do want to do. You mentioned about the items you need but also cautioned that the door modules may/may not be present. I dont have the VCDS , only OBD eleven so not sure that can give me the correct output.
Will be on the lookout for newer parts as you are right, some of the ones listed are in a poor condition
Heated fan washer jets
As you say popular upgrade so will search for those shims you mentioned. Assume you need them to bring the washer jets up to a certain angle/height ?
S4 brakes
I like the idea of the 18z setup so I will keep searching for some of them.
Folding rear seats
You mentioned that taking a set from an S4 would be a good route and I have searched but the only set I can see that has the front and backs is from a later S4 so guess they wont fit. and anyway I still have to work out how to a) hang them and b) how to remove the back metal plate. So this may be a project for later
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26587261...2a6UbVIqkxzU2e2CXN9WyhPrM=|tkp:Bk9SR6ycoPbzYA
Led rear light cluster
You suggested that I had to be careful of over heating ( I assume it is the same principle as the fronts with in line resistors etc) On that note I shall come back to this idea...

With the mirrors, the control modules are there it a case of which ones are fitted , they are a specific module that support the folding option.
VCDS is best as you can scan the BUS and it will list modules .
Its more than likely you have non-folding support door modules so you will need a pair , Seat Exeo use the same parts, (door modules and switch) well based on the correct year that is .

With the mirrors, the control modules are there it a case of which ones are fitted , they are a specific module that support the folding option.
VCDS is best as you can scan the BUS and it will list modules .
Its more than likely you have non-folding support door modules so you will need a pair , Seat Exeo use the same parts, (door modules and switch) well based on the correct year that is .
I do have a friend who has the ross tech VCDS tool so I will see if I can borrow it from him and plug it into my laptop and work this out. Assume once I have this info it is a case of sourcing the following
1. wing mirrors. Can I use my existing non folding ones or do I need to source folding ones ?
2. Door modules
3. door switch

Just whatsapp nigel , sometimes quicker than PM aswell. Whatsapp 07974994143

Reactions: swisstony
just realised as a new member with a low post count , I couldnt reply to your PM so please dont think I was being ignorant. I did try !
You have PM enabled now

you need B7 seats , so 2007
B8 platfrom took over in jan 2008 which those are .

oh I thought you had mentioned that I should find a set from an S4 as that way I would gain the folding rear seats but also the front nice recaros. hence my search

I do have a friend who has the ross tech VCDS tool so I will see if I can borrow it from him and plug it into my laptop and work this out. Assume once I have this info it is a case of sourcing the following
1. wing mirrors. Can I use my existing non folding ones or do I need to source folding ones ?
2. Door modules
3. door switch
I have retrofitted folding wing mirrors ,
You will need properly to change the door modules, even my Sline car had to change modules.
You need to replace you wing mirrors with folding units, ( can be hard to find now)
and replace the drivers door switch console with a folding option.

I used Door modules from a Seat Exeo, used from Ebay.
Finding replacement folding mirrors could be difficult, looked on Ebay yesterday and found only 2, one was priced at £160.
Used a drivers console from a Seat Exeo, same as B7 but newer condition.
The good news you do not need to programme them, just fit and go.

Reactions: Johny Bee and Charlie Farley
I have retrofitted folding wing mirrors ,
You will need properly to change the door modules, even my Sline car had to change modules.
You need to replace you wing mirrors with folding units, ( can be hard to find now)
and replace the drivers door switch console with a folding option.

I used Door modules from a Seat Exeo, used from Ebay.
Finding replacement folding mirrors could be difficult, looked on Ebay yesterday and found only 2, one was priced at £160.
Used a drivers console from a Seat Exeo, same as B7 but newer condition.
The good news you do not need to programme them, just fit and go.
Hi mate, I was going to message you as I saw that you had fitted these to your DTM ? That info is really helpful you just gave. I have the VCDS now so I can see what modules I have . On the subject of the modules I assume I need one for the drivers and passenger side and if so do you happen to know what part number I should search for ?
I have managed to source the drivers console already with the switch from ebay. Rob told me that the folding mirrors , I dont need to find black ones to match my car as the covers can be swapped so if I just find any colour that should do .

oh I thought you had mentioned that I should find a set from an S4 as that way I would gain the folding rear seats but also the front nice recaros. hence my search
Ideally a full set from an S4 saloon would be great as they are a very nice upgrade and it would all match, but there are folding s-line rear seats etc around too.
Also DTM recaro's are nice but a bit hard to find.
All the B7 recaro's are a bit hard to find these days, and good ones are very rare now, but they do come up for sale occasionally.
B6 items are more readily available but need fettling and can be worse for wear.