Retrofit trip computer

Joel_Croft

Reaction score
Hi All

Im trying to find out if it is at all possible to fit a trip computer to and audi without one. I have a 2003 audi a4 sport. It already shows on the dispaly the miles left in the tank so was wondering if it was as simple as fitting a new stalk and a bit of reprogramming to get this to work.

Looking at doing this as got audi very cheap but didnt have a few accesories that i wanted like trip computer and cruise. Already found out cruise can be fitted aftermarket and so have ordered parts to do this was wondering if i could do the trip computer at the same time.

Done lots of searching on this and cant find much to help.

Cheers

Joel

DIS can only be fitted to a car which has 'High line' electrics. Generally the sport has 'Low line' electrics. Easy to tell which is which. If you disci=onnect the headlight switch with the ingnition on, if the headlights light up, then you have a car with 'High line'.
Even if you buy the cruise bits, you will need to recode the steering wheel control unit and ABS control unit. Also you will have to adapt the engine control unit to the system. This can only be done VAS5052 etc.
HTH

I have a 2004 A4 sport and have had the DIS retrofitted. i needed the wiper stalk and the steering control module - all in about £120 and access to VAGcom and someone who know what they are doing, it works perfectly.

As said previously check out tyresmoke for details

Chaz

Is there any other way to easily tell if you have high-line or low-line electrics? If not how do you get easily to the back of the switch to disconect it?

I'm not denying that you have had it retro fitted Chasdrury, but as I said, it can be fitted to a car which has hi line electrics only. If I am wrong, I'll eat my Audi Master Technician Certificate (someone who really knows what they're doing)
Have you taken time out to check if you car is high line ? Probably not, but what do I know ?

What i was pointing out was that I have a 2004 model, and had it fitted. I also said what parts were required. I did not question about hi line or low line anything

samuelt said:
Is there any other way to easily tell if you have high-line or low-line electrics? If not how do you get easily to the back of the switch to disconect it?

To remove the switch (very easy) push the headlight switch inwards towards the dash and at the same time turn it to the right (towards side lights on) Hold switch in this position and pull away from the dash the whole lot then pulls out.

thanks timps.

I removed the switch and started the car no headlamps i guess then that this car is 'low line' A4. Is ther now way now that i can fit DIS into it?

is it still possible to fit cruise?
thanks

a4sline said:
I'm not denying that you have had it retro fitted Chasdrury, but as I said, it can be fitted to a car which has hi line electrics only. If I am wrong, I'll eat my Audi Master Technician Certificate (someone who really knows what they're doing)
Have you taken time out to check if you car is high line ? Probably not, but what do I know ?

No need to get so shirty old boy. B6 A4's only have both highline and lowline CAN as standard, so yes, the retrofit is possible to all B6 A4's. I've done 8 to date. Joel's (who started this thread) was one of them.

I noticed with my sidelights, when I fitted LED bulbs they just flashed on and off regularly, I don't have DIS but I do have auto lights and xenons. Bit of a pain really as the LED's look great but the standard H6W look *****...

Have you tried the PIAA sidelights? I've heard they're the best against the Xenons. I've noticed my Philips BlueVision now appear very yellow since fitting Xenons.