Retrofit steering wheel

S24 GMP

Reaction score
Hi

Apologies if this has been discussed before, can't seem to find all my answers using the search function!

I'm would like to change the steering wheel on my A4 2016 2.0 TFSI Quattro S-line to the flat bottom one. I have managed to get the one required (flat bottom, multi function buttons and paddles etc) and would like to ask if it's a simple operation to change over?

I've seen a few videos on how to remove the airbag but what tool is best for this?

Do I need to disconnect battery as some say you don't?

What size of Torx bit is required to remove the wheel? Is it a Torx bit that is required?

In doing this will there be a airbag fault light that will require resetting?

Sorry for all the questions.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Never performed any of this myself, I assume you've searched google and, more specifically, the AudiWorld forum as the are some references to changing steering wheels in there. You could also try other model threads in here also as I am sure the A5 B9 is similar.
I had always assumed that as long as you were changing like for like steering wheels then it wouod be 'plug and play'. But knowing Audi the wheel could quite easily be coded to te car....

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Hi Welcome
can you not look at the flat bottom steering wheel and inspect where the bolts holes are, im guessing something behind the paddles?

this is what i used on my old B5 to remove the centre bolt, things may have changed now i guess?

I would disconnect the battery but you will need the car powered first to remove the clips/bolts holding the airbag in place. Once undone turn car off and disconnect battery. Don’t forget to straighten the wheel before you remove it.
The airbag light won’t come on unless the car is powered whilst the airbag is disconnected

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
Managed to get the steering wheel changed over today, fairly easy job in the end. However my horn no longer works. All multifunction steering wheel buttons and paddles work, just not the horn! Not sure what it could be, I checked the fuse and it was ok. Any ideas on what else it could be?
No warning lights on dash!
Many thanks

Managed to get the steering wheel changed over today, fairly easy job in the end. However my horn no longer works. All multifunction steering wheel buttons and paddles work, just not the horn! Not sure what it could be, I checked the fuse and it was ok. Any ideas on what else it could be?
No warning lights on dash!
Many thanks

maybe take the airbag off again and double check all the connections?

Reactions: S24 GMP
Checked all connections earlier tonight and they are fine. Not sure what to try next, might need to try old steering wheel back on just in case there is loose wire in the flat bottom wheel. (don't think this will solve anything as all other steering wheel buttons and paddles work)

All working, getting a pro at taking the airbag off now!!
The metal strip that activates the horn was bent so was constantly touching the terminal.

Reactions: cuke2u, tickedon and rasA4
@S24 GMP you should do a how to :) with pics

Reactions: cuke2u and WesT-gefül