Retrofit Rear View Camera to Audi A4 2017 B9

Actually, looking at that photo, it seems like it has 4 video inputs in the control unit. I'm not sure for certain, but it looks like that unit is for the surround camera package?

Edit: Ah, SOS. You have a completely different control unit in that case - my car is 2017 and I don't have the SOS.

@GenerationGav do you have MMI Plus (tech pack) or virtual cockpit?

Yup - it's the only thing like that. Appears that it's definitely the right plug (T54A) but I've just not got anything currently going to the two correct pins, so nothing to splice into.

Yup - it's the only thing like that. Appears that it's definitely the right plug (T54A) but I've just not got anything currently going to the two correct pins, so nothing to splice into.

Are any of the cables going into that plug brown + orange?

Yes - one is. Will have to go back shortly to check which PIN it goes into. Suppose I can try to mark that back to the circuit diagram

I see, okay. If there is also a single grey wire, I believe it would be safe to assume they are your CAN high / low.

Bummer. I don't believe I'll be able to provide any more help then, my guess is as good as yours. Maybe @DJAlix would be kind enough to give you some info.

Actually, if pins 2 and 10 are occupied (red wire, orange/brown) I believe they'll be the ones.

Got nothing going into 2, red wire into 10 - but looking at the surround control module that actually goes into 12 and 30 on the CanBus.
As a last ditch attempt I "shoved" the wires into 12 and 30. I've now got a reversing camera module on ODB11. Although not working as the video pins aren't yet plugged in. I think I need 2 pins for the J54 plug and I'm done. Hoping another post will help me find these.

Reactions: Kondax
And - it works!! Image shows with guidelines appears to be all good.
At the moment the CanBus cables are literally shoved into the plug, but appears to work. I've ordered some of what I think/hope are the right pins. Paid over the odds for them, but all Audi parts places are obviously closed. Otherwise I'd be a bit worried about reliability.
I've currently got no lumbar support adjust as I didn't realise that the fuses were smaller. Does anybody know what size fuses I need to get? Car appears to use 3 sizes...
Few things, the cables were too short to get the MMI out properly, so I actually unscrewed the mount for it and didn't really need to use the keys - made it a lot easier to achieve.
I'd have also bought some material tape if doing it again. Used standard insulating tape.

Wow, that's interesting. Congrats, good job.

I used either 5A or 7.5A I believe, I haven't had any issues with lumbar support.

I used material tape for the cables, think it was a few quid off Amazon. Definitely a worthwhile investment. In regards to the MMI, that's what I ended up doing too. Took me long enough to figure that out though..

Yeah, just seems odd that I didn't have anything in them pins. Just hope the ones I've got ordered are right.
The fuses I had in the garage are too big, so.i "borrowed" the lumbar support fuse until I can get it sorted.

Yeah - material tape would have been a good idea, but the insulating tape worked. Around the fuse box the cables take a bit of an odd route, but otherwise all good.

If anybody needs then the code for the "PINS" which go into the CanBus controller are; 000979010E
I found some overpriced on ebay, but at least I'm up and running.
On another note, how do people find the accuracy of the red "end" line? I lined that up with a kerb or parking line and seem to finish really far forward.

If anybody needs then the code for the "PINS" which go into the CanBus controller are; 000979010E
I found some overpriced on ebay, but at least I'm up and running.
On another note, how do people find the accuracy of the red "end" line? I lined that up with a kerb or parking line and seem to finish really far forward.

To be honest I only really use the moving guidelines when initially lining the car up. I don't use the distance measurement at all. I think you'll end up kinda using the lines for reference without even realising. I don't really notice them there any more.

Hi guys! I finally made the retrofit of reversing camera on my B9 and made a full guide about how to do it by yourself, with only 96$ and few hours of work. I hope it helps! All details are here: https://munteanubogdan.com/english/retrofit-reversing-camera-audi-a4-b9/ . Thank you @Kondax and @GenerationGav for your support.
Great write up - wish I'd done something like that in hind sight, but I had to do it in between looking after a toddler so did it over about 4 days in small stints, plus was a bit nervous so didn't end up with photos.
That AliExpress site is interesting and could end up costing me a lot of money!
The washer version was available when I bought mine, but I spoke to them and they advised that it needed more kit - and possibly even a pump than just hooking it up to the existing washer, so decided against it.
Interesting with yours been a LHD car that you had to pull the video line all of the way across the back seats to get it to the other side of the car, for mine it was left hand side for the fuse box and the glove box, making it slightly easier.
I'm still not sure why I appear to be the only one who didn't have existing wires in Can HIGH and Can LOW, although it probably made the end installation neater.
Nice work anyway!

Reactions: porto
Nice job. I'm fitting the TPMS soon, also thanks to Alibaba. They've got some right bargains on there.

It would have been really nice to have the washer jet in mine but I've got a saloon. Oh well.

Hi guys! I finally made the retrofit of reversing camera on my B9 and made a full guide about how to do it by yourself, with only 96$ and few hours of work. I hope it helps! All details are here: https://munteanubogdan.com/english/retrofit-reversing-camera-audi-a4-b9/ . Thank you @Kondax and @GenerationGav for your support.

Amazing job. You've inspired me to do it.
Question - will this work on a car without any existing parking assist features? I have no PDC, but with to install a camera.

Reactions: porto

That guide will come in handy for the tailgate strip required to refit my Thinkware F770 Front/Back dashcam. I was wondering how the tailgate hinge pkastic covers opened up - do you just pry off with trim removal tools? Apart from that (usually feed through disconnected rubber gaiters on my Golf R and Polo GTI+), the removal of the tailgate trim seems as straightforward as the 2 aforementioned cars - a couple of T25 screws to remove and then pry with trim removal tools for the diamond shaped metal swing clips.

I then run the wiring for rear cam along the join between pillar trims and headlining, then tucked under rubber door seal overlap with headlining to plug into the front (main) unit which will feed along the drivers side headliningdown the door frame and in to the front fuse box

I then run the wiring for rear cam along the join between pillar trims and headlining, then tucked under rubber door seal overlap with headlining to plug into the front (main) unit which will feed along the drivers side headliningdown the door frame and in to the front fuse box
Just be aware that if you run the power cable along the top pillar where the doorframe meets the front window then you will impede the side airbag, which is not good.

Just be aware that if you run the power cable along the top pillar where the doorframe meets the front window then you will impede the side airbag, which is not good.

Thanks for the head-up.

How far up the A-pillar is the side air bag? Does the A-pillar unclip quite easily (with battery disconnected) to tuck wiring behind the airbag module?

@LukeHawk I have parking sensors so I can't tell you. I suppose it'll work only when you select reverse.
@monkeyhanger you can pull the wire behind the airbag. On tailgate there are only 2 screws and metal clips. Check my video from that link.

Interesting, never seen this before on factory fitted units. I retrofitted a genuine camera to a vehicle with rear sensors only the other day, copy and pasted coding without thinking, and it had the CarPlay issue. Turns out the camera was configured to front and rear sensors and after changing this, and completing an hour of testing, the issue was resolved.

Hi @DJAlix, please can you describe the configuration changes you did? I have the camera retrofitted and having the CarPlay issue as well. May thanks, Petr

I have front and rear factory fitted sensors, unfortunately I still have the CarPlay issue.

Hi guys, I manage to complete the retrofit on a 2016 A4 estate but after all the coding, cleared all the errors and still remains one that cannot be removed, Gateway U112400: additional installation detected.
The camera works just fine, lines ok (including the one for the trailer), washing function ok.

Hi All need a little bit of help.

Installed the camera as follows:

1. Installed new boot opening switch with camera.
2. Power taken from Light Brown Fuse position 13 with 10Amp fues an checked that I am getting 12.5v to the camera in boot.
3. Earth connected to on of the earthing points
4. CANBUS cables soldered to pins 12 and 30 under the back seat in module J533
5. Video cables installed into MMI pins 6 and 12.

Didnt code camera yet. Was waiting for OBDEleven Pro to arrive.

6. Drove car for about 10 miles then got an AdBlue Error (which I have seen others refer to)
7. Waited for OBDEleven to arrive
8. Tried clearing AdBlue error and can't :(
9. Tried coding camera and it doesnt do anything.
10. Section 6C Reversing Camera does not appear in the list of OBDEleven Sections

So questions:

1. I assume the AdBlue error and the fact the camera doesnt appear in OBDEleven means that the CANBUS connections didnt work properly. So how can I test if they are soldered properly?
2. ADBlue error - red herring, as in if I get camera to work will it go away - its has a 650m count down on it - eeek

Happy to supply pictures etc etc etc - just need help :)

When you write "4. CANBUS cables soldered to pins 12 and 30 under the back seat in module J533" do you mean that you soldered onto the wires in 12 and 30 - or did you remove the existing wires from 12 and 30?

There is no question that you somehow messed up the Extended can bus wires going from J533 to the Ad-Blue controller. They could be shorted or disconnected.

Last edited:
When you write "4. CANBUS cables soldered to pins 12 and 30 under the back seat in module J533" do you mean that you soldered onto the wires in 12 and 30 - or did you remove the existing wires from 12 and 30?

There is no question that you somehow messed up the Extended can bus wires going from J533 to the Ad-Blue controller. They could be shorted or disconnected.

Hi, I got someone who knows how to do car electrics to do the connection for me. He removed the plug then removed the pins from the separated plug and soldered the 2 wires 2 pin 12 & 30 and replaced the plugs.

We have now removed the wires completely and tried to clear the error but it didn't clear. Also, the 6C Camera control module isn't powering up.

The error code in the 01 - Engine control module is 'Lost Communication With Reductant Control Module' Fault Code: U010E00 Status: Static

Attached are some pictures.
IMG 3327
IMG 3328
IMG 3330
IMG 3331
IMG 3332

It looks ok - except for the wire colours. The orange/violet wire should be gray (orange/violet is infotainment CAN - Extended CAN is orange/gray or just gray. And take care not to untwist the canbus wires. But other than that i have no clue.

Are you compleately sure that the camera is intended for A4 B9?

It looks ok - except for the wire colours. The orange/violet wire should be gray (orange/violet is infotainment CAN - Extended CAN is orange/gray or just gray. And take care not to untwist the canbus wires. But other than that i have no clue.

Are you compleately sure that the camera is intended for A4 B9?

I connected as follows:
  • Orange + Purple from the extension cord (CAN High) connects to PIN 12 (gray wire in the original plug)
  • Orange + Brown (Can Low) from the extension cord connects to PIN 30 (orange wire in the original plug)
are you saying it should be this way round then?
  • Orange+purple (CAN HIGH + ) = PIN 30
  • Orange+brown (CAN LOW - ) = PIN 12

No - Can high is the gray wire in Pin 12

What makes the 6C Camera section active?

12v power or the CAN or the MMI cables.

Defo checked power. Defo checked CAN. Haven't checked MMI cables. But I assumes that for it to show up in 6C it was power and CAN not MMI. That's just picture on head unit.

Right.

If your Ad Blue controller is throwing faults even when the camera wires are not connected, you need to check tne canbus wires again. Communication with AdBlue and reversing camera uses the same canbus (Extended CAN) - and so does your front camera end LED headlights, if you have these

Communication with AdBlue and reversing camera uses the same canbus (Extended CAN) - and so does your front camera end LED headlights, if you have these
Not sure about the front camera.
I've got a petrol (no Adblue), Xenon lights but I do have a front camera. I had nothing at all plugged into the extended CAN. Wired the reversing camera into them and works perfect, but nothing previously existed in them pins.

If your Ad Blue controller is throwing faults even when the camera wires are not connected, you need to check tne canbus wires again. Communication with AdBlue and reversing camera uses the same canbus (Extended CAN) - and so does your front camera end LED headlights, if you have these
Ok. Will do. I'll also check the LED headlights and adaptive cruise control to see if they are working.

Hi guys, can you give me any feedback regarding below? At some point I had the battery connected when disconnected the CAN High/Low wires, I checked again to be sure that the socket is properly secured.

Hi guys, I manage to complete the retrofit on a 2016 A4 estate but after all the coding, cleared all the errors and still remains one that cannot be removed, Gateway U112400: additional installation detected.
The camera works just fine, lines ok (including the one for the trailer), washing function ok.

CanBus goes into 12 and 30 though. According to everybody that is spliced into existing wires. I don't have anything going into 12 or 30 at all, so nothing to splice into. Have confirmed that it's the black plug, blue one is for SOS. Seems most sensible at this point to get some pins, crimp them on and fit them, but need to workout where to get the pins from and want to be sure that's right...
12 and 30 is where they need to go. If you don’t have anything in those locations already then you don’t have anything in the car that uses extended CAN. You need to get yourself some connections pins, 009’s, terminate your wires and slot them in to the connector.