Retrofit Rear View Camera to Audi A4 2017 B9

Mark Whitby

Reaction score
Evening all,

Hoping someone can assist or point in me in the direction of where I can get some required information.

I'm planning to retrofit the OEM rear view camera to my 2017 Audi A4 B9 (Saloon), I've found the camera and the loom, however I'm really struggling to find any information on coding to activate it within the system... I've got OBDEleven with the Pro license on it's way as I'll be using this to activate the Lane Assist.

My car is the S-Line Black Edition 2.0 TDi (with AdBlue) and I really regret not getting the camera from day dot, I've got the front and rear sensors, but just feel it's missing the rear view.

Does anyone have the coding instructions to get the rear camera working?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Mark

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I fitted mine using the k-electronic loom and coding dongle.

It was not straight forward, the instructions didn’t quite work - the pins you had to connect too were different on a RHD car to the LHD instructions. Also I thought I’d be able to code it using my VCDS but I could not do the camera parameters - hence getting the k-electronic dongle.

The CAN-bus control units you need to connect to differ if you’ve a petrol or diesel too... Mine (petrol) was the one under the rear seat and the navigation system which you get to by taking the glove box out.

Last edited:
Reactions: mister.c.
I fitted mine using the k-electronic loom and coding dongle.

It was not straight forward, the instructions didn’t quite work - the pins you had to connect too were different on a RHD car to the LHD instructions. Also I thought I’d be able to code it using my VCDS but I could not do the camera parameters - hence getting the k-electronic dongle.

The CAN-bus control units you need to connect to differ if you’ve a petrol or diesel too... Mine (petrol) was the one under the rear seat and the navigation system which you get to by taking the glove box out.
Thanks for your reply.

Is there any chance you can share the instructions you have?

Cheers

I’m sorry the instructions I’ve got are a combination of the copyrighted k-electronic instructions and lots of emails with their tech support.

If you’ve not already bought the loom you could get it from k-electronic (or Kauftec etc) and get the instructions for a diesel saloon and their technical support.

It took 3 weekends and various auto scans which I shared with them to get it working.

I’ve fitted several cameras before but this was the hardest. I would not want to try without someone more competent than me.

I’m sorry the instructions I’ve got are a combination of the copyrighted k-electronic instructions and lots of emails with their tech support.

If you’ve not already bought the loom you could get it from k-electronic (or Kauftec etc) and get the instructions for a diesel saloon and their technical support.

It took 3 weekends and various auto scans which I shared with them to get it working.

I’ve fitted several cameras before but this was the hardest. I would not want to try without someone more competent than me.
No problem, I've paid for access to Erwin today and downloaded everything for my car, I'm now very confident with the installation.

Now just need to find the correct oem rear camera for my car.

Please do a write up!

I’m hoping to find a B9 with it already from the factory - we shall see, there’s other spec more important!

I retrofitted reverse cam to my B8 S4 and it was a piece of cake....hope this one isn’t too much harder!

Reactions: Jonny_T2002 and WesT-gefül
Please do a write up!

I’m hoping to find a B9 with it already from the factory - we shall see, there’s other spec more important!

I retrofitted reverse cam to my B8 S4 and it was a piece of cake....hope this one isn’t too much harder!
Will do my best to get pictures and do a write up which hopefully will aid anyone in future. Probably won't won't be for a few weeks, well at least until I've got the camera and loom

Please do a write up!

I've finally finished the installation and all is working perfectly.

Sadly didnt manage to take pictures as I went along as I was battling against the weather.

But it was a particularly hard job, just fiddly and time consuming. But what helped was having the Erwin manuals for removing the necessary panels, with that they came of a piece of cake, so that was £8 well spend for an hours access (just downloaded everything).

I brought my genuine camera with loom from an Ebay seller for a bargain £220, he coded it for my VIN so once I installed all I had to do was make two adaptations and add the control module to the gateway. In all it probably took me 8-10 hours but I was being overly cautious, if I was doing it again I'd have all the parts to hand and know how the panels come off, so reckon could easily half that.

I was wanting to keep everything neat and as close to oem as possible so I installed the power into it's appropriate fuse location in the rear fuse box (require the VW fuse terminal to crimp on), and run the loom along the main wiring harness, so the only wires I ended up crimping were the PIN 12 and PIN 30 under the rear seat and for these I used so nice look dual connectors as pictured.

I'm happy to provide guidance and assistance to anyone taking the task on, I would just recommend a dry day.

Cheers

Mark
20190309 082702
20190309 082558

Reactions: LukeHawk and cuke2u
Hi Mark,

Really appreciate this! If you’ve got info on the camera and loom part numbers and ANY other info on the installation process it would be really appreciated.

I’ve got an A4 S-Line with the larger MMI and Cockpit, is that a similar setup to yours?

Hi Mark,

Really appreciate this! If you’ve got info on the camera and loom part numbers and ANY other info on the installation process it would be really appreciated.

I’ve got an A4 S-Line with the larger MMI and Cockpit, is that a similar setup to yours?
Check out my other post, it has all the links for the bits I brought.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=1103726

Mine is the A4 2017 B9 S-Line Black Edition with Tech Pack so same setup with MMI screen and VC.

Drop the Ebay seller a message win your VIN and he we confirm if the camera I linked to is the correct one.

Cheers

Reactions: Kondax and Jonny_T2002
Legend! Thanks for your help. Any further info is hugely appreciated as I’m completely new to this :)

Thanks for the info Mark. I quite fancy a project so I'll have to look into doing this. £210 for the camera is an absolute steal. I assume you have the lines adapt to your steering position on the camera overlay?

Thanks for the info Mark. I quite fancy a project so I'll have to look into doing this. £210 for the camera is an absolute steal. I assume you have the lines adapt to your steering position on the camera overlay?
Correct, provided the camera is coded your your VIN and your make the two code adaptations it shows the steering input with curved lines.

Correct, provided the camera is coded your your VIN and your make the two code adaptations it shows the steering input with curved lines.

Perfect. Thanks for the installation info, that will be a massive help.

Just ordered all the pieces you mentioned Mark, I'll let you all know how it goes once I receive the camera

Just ordered all the pieces you mentioned Mark, I'll let you all know how it goes once I receive the camera
Cool, drop me a message if you get stuck and I'll try my best to assist.

Reactions: Kondax
Cool, drop me a message if you get stuck and I'll try my best to assist.

Hey Mark, do you have a rough idea of where I can find the appropriate files regarding installing the camera on Erwin? Can't seem to find much relating to rear camera / reverse camera unless I'm looking in the wrong place

Edit: downloaded the current flow diagram relating to the rear view camera, think I might be able to figure it out..

Last edited:
Hey Mark, do you have a rough idea of where I can find the appropriate files regarding installing the camera on Erwin? Can't seem to find much relating to rear camera / reverse camera unless I'm looking in the wrong place

Edit: downloaded the current flow diagram relating to the rear view camera, think I might be able to figure it out..
There isn't a installation guide fro. Them just wiring diagrams, but just download everything they have on you vehicle so you can refer to it if needed, I found the wiring diagrams and the panel removals the most useful... oh and the car handbook for the correct fuse location if you are wiring into the cars fuse box (I'd recommend this as keeps it neat and looks professional)

There isn't a installation guide fro. Them just wiring diagrams, but just download everything they have on you vehicle so you can refer to it if needed, I found the wiring diagrams and the panel removals the most useful... oh and the car handbook for the correct fuse location if you are wiring into the cars fuse box (I'd recommend this as keeps it neat and looks professional)

Yeah thanks, I think I managed to find everything I needed. Camera is scheduled to be delivered Friday, so hopefully I'll be able to install it over the weekend. Just to confirm, fuses are 7.5A?

Yeah thanks, I think I managed to find everything I needed. Camera is scheduled to be delivered Friday, so hopefully I'll be able to install it over the weekend. Just to confirm, fuses are 7.5A?
I used 5 amp and no issues

Apologies for the questions, this is my first time taking on such a project haha.

If I'm correct, the below photo is J533 (the controller underneath the rear seat?), and that I need to splice into B670 CAN HIGH and B671 CAN LOW (pins 12 and 30 on the plug)? Or should I make the connection in the A-Pillar?

The camera is due to be delivered until Friday, but I thought I'd take the time to dig through the car to get a rough idea of where things will be going

gbdr3nf.jpg

Apologies for the questions, this is my first time taking on such a project haha.

If I'm correct, the below photo is J533 (the controller underneath the rear seat?), and that I need to splice into B670 CAN HIGH and B671 CAN LOW (pins 12 and 30 on the plug)? Or should I make the connection in the A-Pillar?

The camera is due to be delivered until Friday, but I thought I'd take the time to dig through the car to get a rough idea of where things will be going

gbdr3nf.jpg
Yeah correct that's the controller directly under the centre rear seat towards the back. Those pin numbers sound right but just double check the wiring diagrams from ErWin, do a search for J533 or rear reversing camera. It'll confirm the pin numbers and also the colours of the cables to all you to double check.

Also will you're doing the wiring its wise to disconnect the battery just to be safe.

I spliced into the the cables under the seat as tiring to find them anywhere else will be like a needle on a hay stack as they are bunched in the loom and other cables are similar colours.
I also carefully cut back some of the loom tape to allow me to splice in to the cable a little bit away from the large plug as it's all very tight.

But just take your time and don't rush and just triple check everything :)

Yeah correct that's the controller directly under the centre rear seat towards the back. Those pin numbers sound right but just double check the wiring diagrams from ErWin, do a search for J533 or rear reversing camera. It'll confirm the pin numbers and also the colours of the cables to all you to double check.

Also will you're doing the wiring its wise to disconnect the battery just to be safe.

I spliced into the the cables under the seat as tiring to find them anywhere else will be like a needle on a hay stack as they are bunched in the loom and other cables are similar colours.
I also carefully cut back some of the loom tape to allow me to splice in to the cable a little bit away from the large plug as it's all very tight.

But just take your time and don't rush and just triple check everything :)

Perfect! Thanks a ton Mark. I'll let you know how I get on at the weekend.

Seems as though the coding instructors didn't come with my camera Mark, do you happen to have your copy laying around somewhere that you could take a photo of?

Thanks a ton! Got the camera working :) Bit disappointed with the image quality but oh well. The only issue now is that I don't know how to code it to enable the guildelines. Currently it shows the reverse camera and the normal front/rear sensors with the guidelines on that.
Did you purchase the camera from the link I posted and ask the seller to code it to your VIN?

That's what mine was and then after the install I just did the two adaptations and all worked.

Did you purchase the camera from the link I posted and ask the seller to code it to your VIN?

That's what mine was and then after the install I just did the two adaptations and all worked.

I did but it didn't come with coding instructions

I did but it didn't come with coding instructions
These are the adaptations, just do the two 5F adaptations and apply them.

What are you using to make the changes? OBDEleven?

If you've made the two adaptation and you still aren't getting the steering input, are you certain you provided your VIN to the seller and ask for the camera to be pre coded for your car?

If not you will most likely need to calibrate it, but you will need someone with VAG-COM I believe
Screenshot 20190518 175343 Adobe Acrobat

These are the adaptations, just do the two 5F adaptations and apply them.

What are you using to make the changes? OBDEleven?

If you've made the two adaptation and you still aren't getting the steering input, are you certain you provided your VIN to the seller and ask for the camera to be pre coded for your car?

If not you will most likely need to calibrate it, but you will need someone with VAG-COM I believeView attachment 182706

Looks like those adaptions are already what I've done, but I'll have to double check the long coding. I did it with VCDS.

Yeah, I definitely provided my VIN. I'm fairly certain the camera would show an error if it wasn't pre-calibrated.

The steering input shows up on the sensors overlay, just not the camera. I couldn't find anything in the 6C channel that would change it though.

Looks like those adaptions are already what I've done, but I'll have to double check the long coding. I did it with VCDS.

Yeah, I definitely provided my VIN. I'm fairly certain the camera would show an error if it wasn't pre-calibrated.

The steering input shows up on the sensors overlay, just not the camera. I couldn't find anything in the 6C channel that would change it though.
Double check the coding as mine has the steering input in the camera and the sensors view which is on the right of the screen.

Might be worth checking the connections to the CAN HIGH and LOW, not sure if they could cause the issue if the connections arent fully made.

Can you see the Camera Module in VCDS?

Double check the coding as mine has the steering input in the camera and the sensors view which is on the right of the screen.

Might be worth checking the connections to the CAN HIGH and LOW, not sure if they could cause the issue if the connections arent fully made.

Can you see the Camera Module in VCDS?

I'll have to check tomorrow, I'm knacked from today haha.

I can check the connections but I'll doubt there will be any issues there. If they weren't made properly I assume the camera wouldn't work at all. I used the same T shaped joiners as you.

Yeah, camera module shows in VCDS

Hmm yeah something is definitely up with the camera. The picture quality is absolutely shocking and doesn't even begin to resemble any stock installations in terms of quality. I highly doubt it's a signal degradation issue as that shouldn't cause low resolution and the wiring to the MMI unit has no kinks or sharp bends. Also, the reverse camera lines not working with the coding as you mentioned.

I'm having doubts over whether or not the camera is actually OEM or a Chinese knock-off. I'm starting to believe it's the latter.

I'm going to take a look at the coding again today, but this resolution is definitely an issue. It's not like I can return it now that it has been fitted either. I wonder if I can just find a different camera unit that will work with the existing wiring I've ran.

Another bug with the rear view camera that I'm noticing: the CarPlay view is no longer working after the reverse camera comes up - clicking on CarPlay doesn't do anything. Audio still works if it was already playing through CarPlay though.

[QUOTE = "Mark Whitby, post: 3402970, member: 137181"] Eu finalmente terminei a instalação e tudo está funcionando perfeitamente.

Infelizmente, não consegui tirar fotos enquanto eu lutava contra o tempo.

Mas era um trabalho particularmente difícil, complicado e demorado. Mas o que ajudou foi ter os manuais Erwin para remover os painéis necessários, com o que eles vieram de um pedaço de bolo, de modo que foi £ 8 bem gastar para uma hora de acesso (apenas baixei tudo).

Eu trouxe minha câmera genuína com tear de um vendedor de Ebay para uma pechincha £ 220, ele codificou isto para meu VIN assim que uma vez eu instalei tudo que eu tive que fazer era fazer duas adaptações e somar o módulo de controle ao gateway. Em tudo isso provavelmente me levou 8-10 horas, mas eu estava sendo excessivamente cauteloso, se eu estivesse fazendo isso de novo, eu teria todas as partes à mão e saberia como os painéis saíam, então acho que poderia facilmente metade disso.

Eu estava querendo manter tudo limpo e tão próximo ao oem quanto possível, então eu instalei a energia na localização apropriada do fusível na caixa de fusíveis traseira (exija que o terminal de fusível VW se prenda) e corra o cabo ao longo do chicote principal, então os únicos fios que acabei prensando foram o PIN 12 e o PIN 30 embaixo do assento traseiro e para esses eu usei conectores duplos de aparência tão agradável como na foto.

Fico feliz em fornecer orientação e assistência a qualquer pessoa que esteja realizando a tarefa, eu recomendaria apenas um dia seco.

Felicidades

Mark [ATTACH = completo] 177345 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = full] 177346 [/ ATTACH]

Enviado do meu SM-N960F usando Tapatalk [/ QUOTE]

Hi Mark,

Can you share the ebay seller link?

[QUOTE = "Mark Whitby, post: 3402970, member: 137181"] Eu finalmente terminei a instalação e tudo está funcionando perfeitamente.

Infelizmente, não consegui tirar fotos enquanto eu lutava contra o tempo.

Mas era um trabalho particularmente difícil, complicado e demorado. Mas o que ajudou foi ter os manuais Erwin para remover os painéis necessários, com o que eles vieram de um pedaço de bolo, de modo que foi £ 8 bem gastar para uma hora de acesso (apenas baixei tudo).

Eu trouxe minha câmera genuína com tear de um vendedor de Ebay para uma pechincha £ 220, ele codificou isto para meu VIN assim que uma vez eu instalei tudo que eu tive que fazer era fazer duas adaptações e somar o módulo de controle ao gateway. Em tudo isso provavelmente me levou 8-10 horas, mas eu estava sendo excessivamente cauteloso, se eu estivesse fazendo isso de novo, eu teria todas as partes à mão e saberia como os painéis saíam, então acho que poderia facilmente metade disso.

Eu estava querendo manter tudo limpo e tão próximo ao oem quanto possível, então eu instalei a energia na localização apropriada do fusível na caixa de fusíveis traseira (exija que o terminal de fusível VW se prenda) e corra o cabo ao longo do chicote principal, então os únicos fios que acabei prensando foram o PIN 12 e o PIN 30 embaixo do assento traseiro e para esses eu usei conectores duplos de aparência tão agradável como na foto.

Fico feliz em fornecer orientação e assistência a qualquer pessoa que esteja realizando a tarefa, eu recomendaria apenas um dia seco.

Felicidades

Mark [ATTACH = completo] 177345 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = full] 177346 [/ ATTACH]

Enviado do meu SM-N960F usando Tapatalk [/ QUOTE]

Hi Mark,

Can you share the ebay seller link?
Hi,

The eBay seller I used was 'vwmodul_de' and they where very helpful, so if you use them be sure to contact them first and let them know the car you'll be installing into and they can confrom the correct camera.

Cheers

Mark

Another bug with the rear view camera that I'm noticing: the CarPlay view is no longer working after the reverse camera comes up - clicking on CarPlay doesn't do anything. Audio still works if it was already playing through CarPlay though.
Configure the camera for rear sensors only and not front and rear.

Configure the camera for rear sensors only and not front and rear.
I'll give it a look when possible. The transmission failed today so I've got to have it taken to Audi unfortunately. Thanks a ton for the info though!

I have a factory fitted rear camera and the same thing happens with mine. It's another quirk of CarPlay.