Retrofit puddle lights & door warning lights to 8V - help please.

According to the information I got from other forum.
The interior light have the option to control the following individually from the MMI
  • Foot well
  • Cup Holder
  • Door Handle
So the windows switch illumination is control by the dial that control the dashboard brightness? or it's always full on.

According to the information I got from other forum.
The interior light have the option to control the following individually from the MMI
  • Foot well
  • Cup Holder
  • Door Handle
So the windows switch illumination is control by the dial that control the dashboard brightness? or it's always full on.

Yes that's correct - I'll double check later when it's dark

I retro-fitted interior door handle illumination at front/rear doors. Like ming6068 said, I can control its brightness by the dial.
It's is simple that getting power for the front interior door handle. According to the current flow diagrams, 12V+ is 3rd pin of T32 connector and ground is 5th pin of same connect. In the rear door, 2nd pin of T16 connector is 12V+ for illumination of window regulator button and locking button. So you can get power from this line. Ground of the rear door is 13th pin of same connector. Original 12V+ for rear inner door handle illumination is 1st pin of T16 connector. But there is slightly different operation between front/rear door illumination due to this. Rear illumination doesn't turn on before ignition is on. After ignition is on, they have totally same working(Control of brightness by dial,turn on/off).

Reactions: Schizophonic
I retro-fitted interior door handle illumination at front/rear doors. Like ming6068 said, I can control its brightness by the dial.
It's is simple that getting power for the front interior door handle. According to the current flow diagrams, 12V+ is 3rd pin of T32 connector and ground is 5th pin of same connect. In the rear door, 2nd pin of T16 connector is 12V+ for illumination of window regulator button and locking button. So you can get power from this line. Ground of the rear door is 13th pin of same connector. Original 12V+ for rear inner door handle illumination is 1st pin of T16 connector. But there is slightly different operation between front/rear door illumination due to this. Rear illumination doesn't turn on before ignition is on. After ignition is on, they have totally same working(Control of brightness by dial,turn on/off).

You DIY with the coding or find shop to do the coding?
I believe we have a very clear direction on the wiring now; all the matter is about coding.

You DIY with the coding or find shop to do the coding?
I believe we have a very clear direction on the wiring now; all the matter is about coding.
I did it by myself for front door because I have VCP and VCDS.

I was encouraged by these posts to revisit this installation and I have successfully installed the front puddle and warning lights. Really simple to do with the above help and only took about an hour to do both sides - thanks to all for their input :)

However, when I came to the rears I wanted to follow the above examples, but realised my car seems different, in that it does have a rear door controller. But as has been stated VCDS doesn't show this as a controller that can be coded.

Rear Controller 5Q0 959 595 B
Pic1

Also the window regulator doesn't have the same wiring as previously shown above, mine has just 2 wires (light purple and light purple with a dark purple stripe)

Window regulator
Pic2

In fact, I tried wiring in the cables to the brown/yellow and red/yellow (shown in pic 1) as described in the posts above and the puddle and warning lights do illuminate but do not go off when the door is shut - they are permanently on. So this not correct for me. Also, I'd be a bit reluctant to wire the lights to anything that doesn't make use of the 20 pin connector that is on the door card that connects into the controller because if the door card ever had to come off in the future the wiring would have to be cut or de-soldered (unless an additional plug/socket was used allowing disassembly).

Door card 20-pin connector plug with just 3 cables fitted.
Pic3

Maybe we just have to wait for Ross-Tech to decode the controller and allow us to adapt the channels like the front ones.
Unless anyone has any further thoughts?

Reactions: Urazilia and Schizophonic
Yeah.... (sigh) mines the same. E- win shows the correct wiring but until the controller is accessible it ain't gonna work.

Yeah.... (sigh) mines the same. E- win shows the correct wiring but until the controller is accessible it ain't gonna work.

Could you post the correct pin numbers to wire into please, so that I can physically install the cabling (I don't have access to E-win).
I can use vcds at a later date to activate them when we know how to do it.

Last edited:
Page 2 from my previous reply, the light should wire to the door module 16 pin plug (if you have the module)
pin 12 will supply the +12 power if the door is opened (and if enabled by coding)

I have a chance to read through a A3 8V SSP and find out they actually listed
IF the car has no light package or 'Remote Child Safety Lock' (it's a translation as the manual I read is not in English) or Rear door has not equiped with the central lock switch; the J388 and J389 module will not be installed. Only the windows motor J1016/ J1017 will be installed

SO for the members here without the module, can you list out what options you have in your car?
For sure we have no lighting package or else we will not discuss here.
What about Remote Child safety lock? (I guess it's the switch on the door edge, to disable the internal latch, and only can be opened from outside)
Any central lock switch on your rear doors?

The rear module is connected to the front module via LINBUS, not CANBUS, that's why maybe one of the problem why VCDS can't find the rear door module.

Last edited:
Reactions: Urazilia
I was encouraged by these posts to revisit this installation and I have successfully installed the front puddle and warning lights. Really simple to do with the above help and only took about an hour to do both sides - thanks to all for their input :)

However, when I came to the rears I wanted to follow the above examples, but realised my car seems different, in that it does have a rear door controller. But as has been stated VCDS doesn't show this as a controller that can be coded.

Rear Controller 5Q0 959 595 B
View attachment 75990

Also the window regulator doesn't have the same wiring as previously shown above, mine has just 2 wires (light purple and light purple with a dark purple stripe)

Window regulator
View attachment 75991

In fact, I tried wiring in the cables to the brown/yellow and red/yellow (shown in pic 1) as described in the posts above and the puddle and warning lights do illuminate but do not go off when the door is shut - they are permanently on. So this not correct for me. Also, I'd be a bit reluctant to wire the lights to anything that doesn't make use of the 20 pin connector that is on the door card that connects into the controller because if the door card ever had to come off in the future the wiring would have to be cut or de-soldered (unless an additional plug/socket was used allowing disassembly).

Door card 20-pin connector plug with just 3 cables fitted.
View attachment 75993

Maybe we just have to wait for Ross-Tech to decode the controller and allow us to adapt the channels like the front ones.
Unless anyone has any further thoughts?
I have another rear door module.
Rear door module

My car doesn't equip central child lock and interior light package. I tried your method but I failed like you.
In my opinion, It is impossible to access rear control module with CANBUS based tools. According to the flow diagram, T20 connector of front/rear door control modules have very similar pin array. But there are no wiring and pins of module(14th and 15th) for CANBUS at the rear door module. There is only a single wire(maybe purple wire of this picture, 10th pin) between front and rear door module. This is maybe LINBUS that mentioned by ming6068.

Last edited:
I think not until we get access to the rear module will we be able to get these lights to work properly. I used ohm meter to see if there were any 12volt leads, but they are all constant power, and not regulated by an open/closed door, which would leave the lights on, even without the keys in some cases. Hopefully in time!

I believe we can find 'switched ground' instead of 'switched +12V' ??

Rear Door Modules Accessed :)

ODIS can access these modules without any recoding but following some testing today this process works via VCDS:
  • 19 - CAN Gatway
  • Select Gateway installation List
  • Scroll down and activate Modules "BB - Door Rear Drv Side" and "BC - Door Rear Pass Side"
  • Save Coding
Notes:
  • Doing this will give you access to Adaptations and Long Coding for the modules but they are not labeled as yet. Completing this Gateway list reconfiguration is going to throw up some CAN Gateway and Rear Door Module related DTC's which cannot be resolved or cleared while the modules are "active".
  • Removing the modules from the gateway list after you have made your coding / adaptation changes resolves the DTC's.
I have no door lights to test / play with so would be interested in seeing any results :)

Reactions: BodegaBay and asmetana
In response to DJAlix's comment note above, if there's someone with the factory rear door warning/puddle lamp and you happen to be in VCDS at some point, capturing the coding and sharing it might be helpful for those of us hoping to retrofit their cars with the warning/puddle lamps. We might have something to start experimenting with.

Reactions: Usman786
Rear Door Modules Accessed :)
ODIS can access these modules without any recoding but following some testing today this process works via VCDS:...

Thank you for this, looking forward to getting my rears to work!

Reactions: DJAlix
Further to my post above, this is what you should expect to see once the rears have been added. Errors reported but all works ok:

01-Engine -- Status: OK 0000
02-Auto Trans -- Status: OK 0000
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: OK 0000
10-Park/Steer Assist -- Status: OK 0000
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: Malfunction 0010
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK 0000
44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
55-Headlight Range -- Status: OK 0000
5F-Information Electr. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
BB-Door Rear Drv Side -- Status: Cannot be reached 0100
BC-Door Rear Pass Side -- Status: Cannot be reached 0100

Address BB: Door Rear Drv Side (J388) Labels: None
Part No SW: 5Q0 959 595 A HW: 5Q0 959 595
Component: TSG HFS 010 0006
Serial number: 04101302091078
Coding: 000086204001040000001002
Shop #: WSC 06385 790 00016
ASAM Dataset: EV_DCURearDriveMAXKLO 006003
ROD: EV_DCURearDriveMAXCONT.rod
VCID: 418EC929D0DC81363E-8015

No fault code found.

Address BC: Door Rear Pass Side (J389) Labels: None
Part No SW: 5Q0 959 595 A HW: 5Q0 959 595
Component: TSG HBFS 010 0006
Serial number: 04101303111083
Coding: 000086204001040000001002
Shop #: WSC 06385 790 00016
ASAM Dataset: EV_DCURearPasseMAXKLO 006003
ROD: EV_DCURearPasseMAXCONT.rod
VCID: 418EC929D0DC81363E-8015

No fault code found.

*Ignore my 5F Malfunction, this is because I have VIM activated.

Reactions: BodegaBay
Finally, I turn on rear door entry/warning lights. I can access to rear door module with ODIS.
Here is result.
20160214 181310

Great! After all the research, I just find out my rear door has no module inside! Only can use the door latch 'switched ground methods'...

how hard is this? Do you have to start butchering the car about with additional wiring and taking panels off?

I used ODIS Engineering 5.0.14.
1. Select vehicle project : AU37X
2. You can see controller list of your car. There are + at each door modules(42 and 52). Press +, then BB and BC modules are revealed.
These modules are connected via LIN BUS. Click code at the diagnostic function.
3. It is possible that modification of value after click Input of each line. In this time, select [LO]_door_exit_light

Attachments

• 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    301.6 KB · Views: 764
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    241.9 KB · Views: 709
I used ODIS Engineering 5.0.14.
1. Select vehicle project : AU37X
2. You can see controller list of your car. There are + at each door modules(42 and 52). Press +, then BB and BC modules are revealed.
These modules are connected via LIN BUS. Click code at the diagnostic function.
3. It is possible that modification of value after click Input of each line. In this time, select [LO]_door_exit_light

Thanks for posting that, now I just have to wait for my VAS to arrive!

After finding that it's going to be a few more days before my VAS-ODIS ships, I decided to re-enable the rear door modules and fiddle with the coding with VCDS. I got it on my second attempt and only had to change one digit, the 4th from the left, from a 3 to a 5.
Original coding: 004317204000048000000002
Working coding: 004517204000048000000002

I suspect that in cars with different options (or adaptations) that this same digit is the one that needs to be adjusted. If you decide to attempt yourself, just make a note of your own original coding first just in case....

Thanks to Urazilla for providing the screen shots of his ODIS coding, that gave me the clue that it was going to be in one of the first few digits so I wasn't going to go in too deep. Unlike the front doors, I did not have to cycle the ignition for it to take effect, it worked with the ignition still on, hitting the 'do it' button in VCDS and then opening the back door. Afterwards, I went back into 19 and disabled the rear doors from the installation list and all is working as expected. Kind of makes me want to re-learn my HEX tables. Next part will be when my lit RS3 door handles arrive and I will have to code for that but that's a couple of weeks away and even if VCDS doesn't have it, I think I can work off Urazilla's ODIS screen capture to work through it.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
how hard is this? Do you have to start butchering the car about with additional wiring and taking panels off?

It's a pretty easy project. Interior door panels/cards do need to come off and this is the first time on the Audis I've owned where it was quite easy--the serviceability of this car is very good from what I've delved into thus far. Following information on this thread, you pull each panel, remove the stock reflector, cut out the recessed bit of plastic on the bottom edge of each door panel (or door card), run the harness (supply plugs into the existing harness, ground needs to be tapped to an existing ground), plug in the lights, re-attach door handle cable and electrical connectors, and carefully re-attach the door card. The first door took me about 45 minutes, each subsequent door was about 20 minutes. I'd recommend sourcing some of the fabric electrical tape to keep things looking stock and solder the ground, but that's me. In the US the fabric electrical tape is rare so I'll put that in when I get my lit door handles and have to get back in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: LibreYLoco, pburv and Usman786
After finding that it's going to be a few more days before my VAS-ODIS ships, I decided to re-enable the rear door modules and fiddle with the coding with VCDS. I got it on my second attempt and only had to change one digit, the 4th from the left, from a 3 to a 5.

I suspect that in cars with different options (or adaptations) that this same digit is the one that needs to be adjusted. If you decide to attempt yourself, just make a note of your own original coding first just in case....

Can confirm this works. Thanks for the coding. Went through the same steps that you mentioned using VCDS.

Reactions: BodegaBay and rcnacura
Hello Miro,

I am new with using vcds.. Can you tell me the steps how I code this? Which adress I have to go to change this code? And does this also work for the doorhandle lights?

Thanks to Urazilla for providing the screen shots of his ODIS coding, that gave me the clue that it was going to be in one of the first few digits so I wasn't going to go in too deep. Unlike the front doors, I did not have to cycle the ignition for it to take effect, it worked with the ignition still on, hitting the 'do it' button in VCDS and then opening the back door. Afterwards, I went back into 19 and disabled the rear doors from the installation list and all is working as expected. Kind of makes me want to re-learn my HEX tables. Next part will be when my lit RS3 door handles arrive and I will have to code for that but that's a couple of weeks away and even if VCDS doesn't have it, I think I can work off Urazilla's ODIS screen capture to work through it.

Hi,
Where did you buy your VAS-ODIS from and how much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?

Was anyone able to get this working without the errors showing in vcd after enabling?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Was anyone able to get this working without the errors showing in vcd after enabling?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  • 19 - CAN Gatway
  • Scroll down and activate Modules "BB - Door Rear Drv Side" and "BC - Door Rear Pass Side"
  • Save
  • Code Modules as needed in order to activate lights
  • 19 - CAN Gatway
  • Scroll down and remove modules "BB - Door Rear Drv Side" and "BC - Door Rear Pass Side"
  • Save
  • Run an AutoScan
  • Clear DTC's
  • Un-Tick display freeze frame
  • Run AutoScan = Should be no errors

Reactions: rcnacura
Hello Miro,

I am new with using vcds.. Can you tell me the steps how I code this? Which adress I have to go to change this code? And does this also work for the doorhandle lights?

The steps that DJAlix posted above are spot on. You have to enable the BB and BC modules first. The coding that I used came from asmetana which is:

Although my 5th digit was a 0. My car is a US A3.

Not sure about the door handle lights as I don't have those.

Reactions: DJAlix
If you wire them per the module, '4D' (instead of '45') will enable them. I've seen that some people wire them to the window switch illumination but I wanted it to be as original as possible on mine. I couldn't find anything to adjust the door handle lights in the MMI but it doesn't really matter to me.

Right, just an update on this.

I managed to get a set of door cards with with interior lights installed from factory to go into my sportback. It was a direct swap and the wires was all plug and play. No modification. With the help of @DJAlix and his coding I was able to get all 3 lights working but the only thing to work on is to get the speaker Bang & Olfson light to work. This might need more work and for Alix to do some reverse engineering from a user with this module installed.

The only other issue is the menu screen for the interior light is low lighted and when I click into the option it gives me stating this option is not available.

Reactions: Usman786
Right, just an update on this.

I managed to get a set of door cards with with interior lights installed from factory to go into my sportback. It was a direct swap and the wires was all plug and play. No modification. With the help of @DJAlix and his coding I was able to get all 3 lights working but the only thing to work on is to get the speaker Bang & Olfson light to work. This might need more work and for Alix to do some reverse engineering from a user with this module installed.

The only other issue is the menu screen for the interior light is low lighted and when I click into the option it gives me stating this option is not available.

I have the factory B&O audio (with door card lights) and have added door handle lights and puddle/emergency lamps. Here is my working coding for the front doors (same for driver & passenger):
005F1F204000048000000002

Reactions: airbus319 and Schizophonic
I have the factory B&O audio (with door card lights) and have added door handle lights and puddle/emergency lamps. Here is my working coding for the front doors (same for driver & passenger):
005F1F204000048000000002
Thaaaaaannnnkkkkkkkss. I'll check my code and see what changes I need to make on mine. I might need to get a full scan of your car if we need to do more digging.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Can you buy these replacement lights off Audi site? I cannot find them. I have ILP so am I right in thinking these should be fine to fit? Also i have the saloon so will the rear be ok for fitting as well?