Retrofit puddle lights & door warning lights to 8V - help please.

Interesting I wil have a look and give it a go latter on today
@rcnacura The latest OBD11 update gives full access to the rear door modules, I see "ambient lighting" and "speaker grill illumination" options under long coding, but I haven't have time to rewire and try them yet....

nice will test this a bit later =)

@jrumball How did you wire the front? To the module and MMI control works?

Sorry I don't quite understand, Fronts ? My car came with B&O from factory, in the front I wired the ambient door trim strip to the B&O LED to get them to work with the ambient lighting in the MMI.

My rears I have wired back to pin 3 on my rear door module, both the Ambient trim I added and and the Rear B&O LED I retrofitted .... I know these work as I have managed to activate them with the test settings in OBDeleven.

Interesting I wil have a look and give it a go latter on today

nice will test this a bit later =)

Sorry I don't quite understand, Fronts ? My car came with B&O from factory, in the front I wired the ambient door trim strip to the B&O LED to get them to work with the ambient lighting in the MMI.

My rears I have wired back to pin 3 on my rear door module, both the Ambient trim I added and and the Rear B&O LED I retrofitted .... I know these work as I have managed to activate them with the test settings in OBDeleven.

I see... I thought you wired to pin #8 of the front control module.. But yeah, B&O LED works just the same...

Decided to just plug the puddle lights into it and remove the original wire, not been able to code the lights yet so not sure if it works. Removing the wire doesn't seem to affect anything on the door nor the b&o light so I'd figure it should still work as in pfl.

Just want to mention that this thread helped me with my own install. I can confirm as well that my 2017 also already contains a brown wire in #5 and a blue with yellow stripe in #16. I removed said blue wire and inserted the new harness wire for the puddle lights. I spliced into the brown. Strangely they work without me doing any coding. Also my car came with B&O and the LEDs for the speaker grills still work. I traced the brown #5 and blue #16 and they run back to the small connector that only contains 3 wires and plugs into the door module just underneath all the larger connectors. Ive only done the drivers side and didnt take any pics but im sure you can see in the ones posted already.

Which pins are people using for the warning lights or are they just splicing into pin 16 on the fronts so its on the same circuit as the puddle lights?

The puddles and warning lights should be on the same circuit.

Reactions: alpesh26
Hi guys, Sorry for bringing up an old thread,

I have just bought a 2015 Audi A3 8V S-Line 4 door saloon , the car has all the extras except for the Puddle lights, I was wondering will the kit from aliexpress that keeps showing up here (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32244414920.html) will work in my car?

I have ordered the original Ross-Tech VCDS cable & software (240 odd euro!) from the ross-tech site to code them in, I have spent the last 2 days going over this thread and loads of others and now I am very confused, this is my first ever Audi

Thanks so much for everything

Last edited:
Hi I got mines from Ali Express fitted my self loads of help files on here. I just got it coded I didn't have any so I did door lights footwell and lights with aysi logo in

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I would like the puddle, footwell and cup holder lights but not confident to do it myself is there anyone local to Yorkshire that does it and what sort of price would it cost?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like the puddle, footwell and cup holder lights but not confident to do it myself is there anyone local to Yorkshire that does it and what sort of price would it cost?
Thanks

Mate it's not really that hard I did my research first. Got all I needed then waited for a nice day there is some very good step by step instructions. And to be honest yeah you could pay someone and be stood there thinking is that it, but you cant beat the satisfaction of doing it your self.

Reactions: Citroene, dantdi and Phil-1
Mate it's not really that hard I did my research first. Got all I needed then waited for a nice day there is some very good step by step instructions. And to be honest yeah you could pay someone and be stood there thinking is that it, but you cant beat the satisfaction of doing it your self.

Need to start doing my research.

Ok guys, I successfully completed this project and put together an easy to follow DIY video. Without the information on this thread, I could not have done it. Thank you to the pioneers who started this project.

Please follow me on YouTube ( The Audi S3 Fanatic) if you want more DIY videos for our wonderful S3 8V chassis.

So if I’m correct, according to your video, you can simply insert two ground wires next to eachother in just one single pin slot?

So if I’m correct, according to your video, you can simply insert two ground wires next to eachother in just one single pin slot?
It's been awhile since I did mines but is it the repair wire your talking about

If you look at my posts regarding puddle lights think you'll get your answers

well i saw that video and he was referring to the ground wires and pointed to the pin slot in which two wires were pushed along together inside the slot. Actually i already have puddle lights (not installed by me) and i was just finding the answer in how to ground wire the door handle illumination led and saw that part of the video

That's correct, you can tap or insert the 2nd ground into the same pin.

Just want to mention that this thread helped me with my own install. I can confirm as well that my 2017 also already contains a brown wire in #5 and a blue with yellow stripe in #16. I removed said blue wire and inserted the new harness wire for the puddle lights. I spliced into the brown. Strangely they work without me doing any coding. Also my car came with B&O and the LEDs for the speaker grills still work. I traced the brown #5 and blue #16 and they run back to the small connector that only contains 3 wires and plugs into the door module just underneath all the larger connectors. Ive only done the drivers side and didnt take any pics but im sure you can see in the ones posted already.
So I just took apart the drivers door on my 2017 S3 and have found the same. Pin 5 already has brown and Pin 16 already has blue-yellow. They trace back to the small connector on mine as well.

Not sure what to do here. Rather not remove pins that are already there.. Any ideas?

1FEBD46D 4B80 42DE 8B86 CDCB97292EED

So I just took apart the drivers door on my 2017 S3 and have found the same. Pin 5 already has brown and Pin 16 already has blue-yellow. They trace back to the small connector on mine as well.

Not sure what to do here. Rather not remove pins that are already there.. Any ideas?

View attachment 196722
Update: used some Posi-taps to tap each wire and the puddle lights on the front doors work without any coding needed on my 2017 S3.

Will tackle the rear doors soon.

Reactions: Dunedin
Update: used some Posi-taps to tap each wire and the puddle lights on the front doors work without any coding needed on my 2017 S3.

Will tackle the rear doors soon.

Final update, tackled the rear doors. Super easy! I slid the positive lead into pin 12 and did a posi-tap on the brown wire in pin 13.

In OBDEleven I went and did the following to BB and CC in the modules list. Long Coding -> activate "ambient_light" and "door_exit_light".

View attachment 196722
Did anyone ever figure out why those cars without lighting package have these wires in place already?

I installed footwell lighting this week and while I had the door sill trim off I recognized the ribbon cable for the illuminated sill plate. It’s connected But mine don’t light up. Now I’m wondering why. Did disconnecting the blue wire in the door cause it? Fuse?

I installed footwell lighting this week and while I had the door sill trim off I recognized the ribbon cable for the illuminated sill plate. It’s connected But mine don’t light up. Now I’m wondering why. Did disconnecting the blue wire in the door cause it? Fuse?
Yep. The existing blue wire with green stripe that was in pin 16 powers the door illuminated door sill. Just plugged it back in and it worked

Edited. Thought my puddle/warning lights werent working but I had the wrong pin.
Just did the rear door warning lights and interior handle lights. All working beautifully thanks to this thread.
US model 2017 S3. {in #12 for power in the rear door module for the puddle/warning and #1 for the door handle lighting.
My new rear door module coding is 000E13204000048000000002

Last edited:
I retrofitted PFL Door Cards with Puddle/Warning/Handle lights to an A3 SE PFL
Fronts are straight forwards to activate in VCDS, and select the appropriate option.

For the Rears, I followed DJAlix #114
  • 19 - CAN Gatway
  • Select Gateway installation List
  • Scroll down and activate Modules "BB - Door Rear Drv Side" and "BC - Door Rear Pass Side"
  • Save
  • Code Modules as needed in order to activate lights
  • 19 - CAN Gatway
  • Scroll down and remove modules "BB - Door Rear Drv Side" and "BC - Door Rear Pass Side"
  • Save
  • Run an AutoScan
  • Clear DTC's
  • Un-Tick display freeze frame
  • Run AutoScan = Should be no errors
When activating BB and BC modules, the long coding didn't show any options to select, so I changed Byte 01 manually using the Front coding for the Rears, List below for what the new coding looks like depending on the Lights options you have:

Both below activate Puddle/Warning lights
0005... - Door Entry - Door Exit/Warning
0045... - Door Entry - Door Exit/Warning - Mirror/Door Handle/Speaker

To activate the Door handle light
000D... - Door Entry - Door Exit/Warning - Interior Door Handle
004D... - Door Entry - Door Exit/Warning - Interior Door Handle - Mirror/Door Handle/Speaker

For anyone who wants to retrofit door and footwell lighting to their A3 then we supply kits for those who prefer not to have to splice into any wires.

The harnesses we supply are produced by us and are made to suit individual models of Audi's, they are not generic and as mentioned before we have designed them so that they require no soldering or splicing.

We can't match the aliexpress but the quality of our harnesses are much better and we also supply step by step instructions.

You can see our products: online-shop

Reactions: AlS3BE, ME CODING, Sandra and 1 other person
My 8v Sportback does not have the module in the rear door. Also not in the door cards!??
Anyone a idea how to connect the - and + for the doorcard lightning?

Attachments

• EC3D01F6-F9F3-4984-A639-3D37450DD90F.jpeg
    EC3D01F6-F9F3-4984-A639-3D37450DD90F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 171
  • 3438AE55-3DB7-4FC0-934F-266293ACBAB6.jpeg
    3438AE55-3DB7-4FC0-934F-266293ACBAB6.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 169
  • 402CDCF9-F002-4B7E-A005-536B14BF46BB.jpeg
    402CDCF9-F002-4B7E-A005-536B14BF46BB.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 167
  • 96F70A49-9E85-44EB-B8D6-1AA1E5487ACF.jpeg
    96F70A49-9E85-44EB-B8D6-1AA1E5487ACF.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 174
Unfortunately it is not possible for the lighting kit to be fitted to your rear doors, we have seen this on a number of A3's in certain countries which don't have a door control module.

Reactions: MarcoV
Finally i get the rear doors wired.
+12V supply from power window wiring red-yellow and ground from door latch wiring brown-yellow
coding is not required the result is the same as the front doors
The light goes off when the door is closed.

View attachment 75407
View attachment 75408
View attachment 75409
For those who doesn’t have module for puddle lights I have found a way to circumvent it. Use the power window line for positive and the switched negative is the thin white and green wire.

Hi guys. I also have a 2017 A3 Black edition 3dr. I already have the puddle lights but no warning lights. Can anyone shed some light on what I need to fit the warning lights? Do I need to splice the existing loom with the puddle lights or do I need to purchase a pre made loom to accommodate both puddle and warning lights?
Thanks

Hi guys. I also have a 2017 A3 Black edition 3dr. I already have the puddle lights but no warning lights. Can anyone shed some light on what I need to fit the warning lights? Do I need to splice the existing loom with the puddle lights or do I need to purchase a pre made loom to accommodate both puddle and warning lights?
Thanks
Hey @milkyjoe01 , I’m going to guess you’ll need a new loom for both doors as I doubt someone would install only the puddle light if the wiring was there. Cheapest way would be for you to extend the wires yourself from the puddle lights.

Hey @milkyjoe01 , I’m going to guess you’ll need a new loom for both doors as I doubt someone would install only the puddle light if the wiring was there. Cheapest way would be for you to extend the wires yourself from the puddle lights.
Thanks for your reply Dunedin. I also forgot to say that the puddle lights came factory fitted! so like you say I would think Audi would not have the loom for both warning lights and puddle lights installed but only fit puddle lights! so my other question is will there be a spare pin to just connect the warning lights into the same block as the puddle lights or as you say splice into the existing puddle loom?
Cheers.

Thanks for your reply Dunedin. I also forgot to say that the puddle lights came factory fitted! so like you say I would think Audi would not have the loom for both warning lights and puddle lights installed but only fit puddle lights! so my other question is will there be a spare pin to just connect the warning lights into the same block as the puddle lights or as you say splice into the existing puddle loom?
Cheers.
I see, I retro fitted mine and the loom I used spliced power and earthed through the module as far as I can remember, pop your door card off and have a look, take some photos when it’s off for reference and the forum can give further advice/assistance. You may just need to make your own short wiring loom for the warning lamps and splice to the puddle light.

Hi guys I’m new to the forum. I own a 2016 Audi A3 that does not have any door lights or bang and olufsen. I just bought 2020 Audi RS3 door panels and looking to get all the lighting to work. Not sure what pins are what and I have ODB11 pro. Hoping someone can help me with what coding I need to do in order to get all the lighting to work

Can some one please shed some light?
Hi to all
Today's job was semi successful!! I managed to add pins male and female to both sides in the door connector for the sill!! Also coded just fine through vcds and lights turned on and door handle too although too low, didnt check mmi for now if some kind of menu appeared. This was only on passengers door. Next tried to wire and connect a rear door too BUT check my photos...
20221118 185209

Activated through 19-can gateway the rear modules BUT following msg appears
20221118 185139

As soon as I click long coding helper and every byte is blank
20221118 185152

Didnt have time for footwell kit and cupholder so didnt mess with bcm for now.
So can you help with rear module coding?

I retrofitted PFL Door Cards with Puddle/Warning/Handle lights to an A3 SE PFL
Fronts are straight forwards to activate in VCDS, and select the appropriate option.

For the Rears, I followed DJAlix #114
  • 19 - CAN Gatway
  • Scroll down and activate Modules "BB - Door Rear Drv Side" and "BC - Door Rear Pass Side"
  • Save
  • Code Modules as needed in order to activate lights
  • 19 - CAN Gatway
  • Scroll down and remove modules "BB - Door Rear Drv Side" and "BC - Door Rear Pass Side"
  • Save
  • Run an AutoScan
  • Clear DTC's
  • Un-Tick display freeze frame
  • Run AutoScan = Should be no errors
When activating BB and BC modules, the long coding didn't show any options to select, so I changed Byte 01 manually using the Front coding for the Rears, List below for what the new coding looks like depending on the Lights options you have:

Both below activate Puddle/Warning lights
0005... - Door Entry - Door Exit/Warning
0045... - Door Entry - Door Exit/Warning - Mirror/Door Handle/Speaker

To activate the Door handle light
000D... - Door Entry - Door Exit/Warning - Interior Door Handle
004D... - Door Entry - Door Exit/Warning - Interior Door Handle - Mirror/Door Handle/Speaker
So can you please post your full coding or at least what needs to be changed exactly?