Retrofit Cruise Control

Nimo

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting cruise control fitted into my S3. I did not get this as an option but I kind of wish I had as I always find myself speeding!! Has anyone had this done? Can you recommend anywhere to get this done and price?

You can do it yourself if you know someone with a VAG-COM who can enter the correct coding for you, then all you need is the stalk and an additional harness which connects into the existing chassis harness (So I'm told, by one of my colleagues who's done it on his VW). Parts can be found on Etka parts CD and priced up through Audi or maybe VAG Parts (Who may have it as a kit). http://www.vagparts.com/

If you fancy doing it yourself and don't have access to parts info drop me a PM.

For Audi to do it I think you're look at 250-300 GBP at a guess, across here it's 480 Euros for my local dealer to do it.

I'd get Amd or APR to do it (IIRC about £199)

If your doing it yourself be very careful with the airbags etc.

[ QUOTE ]
scoTTy said:
I'd get Amd or APR to do it (IIRC about £199)

If your doing it yourself be very careful with the airbags etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's quite a good price for the fitting of cruise control.

There is a method to removing the Airbag, which quite a few of my colleagues/friends have done with no problems, but if you're not particularly mechanically minded then probably the do-it-yourself route is not the best.

The price depends on the model of vehicle you have.
Earlier build cars (I think pre-2000) have cable throttle, and therefore would cost a lot more.
The newer cars are all Drive By Wire (electronic throttle) and are easy to retrofit. In Australia, the kit for the DBW cars only costs around AUD$120, plus probably 1-2 hrs labour to do it.
The older models are probably more trouble than it is worth.

Ken

had mine done for switching my APR chip - £150+vat from Stealth Racing - took about 1.5 hours

wouldn't do it yourself unless you are very mechanically-minded

Thanks for your help everyone.

[ QUOTE ]
The price depends on the model of vehicle you have.
Earlier build cars (I think pre-2000) have cable throttle, and therefore would cost a lot more.
The newer cars are all Drive By Wire (electronic throttle) and are easy to retrofit. In Australia, the kit for the DBW cars only costs around AUD$120, plus probably 1-2 hrs labour to do it.
The older models are probably more trouble than it is worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

correct me if im wrong but iwas under the impression all S3 were drive by wire or were you refering to a3's,, maybe not, ive never looked at my s3 throttle, i hope it is cos i want the cruise fitted at some stage