retrofit cruise control coding and activation issue

deian3387

Reaction score
Hi, im having trouble activating the cruise control on my a4. Does anyone have instructions for the coding and activation? I'm using VAS 5054 with my lappy..

thanks

No idea with VAS.

VCDS / Vagcom is fairly simple:

01 - Engine
Coding
'11463'

&

16 - Steering Wheel
Coding
Edit 2nd to last digit to support CC

Reactions: deian3387
thanks for the quick reply! when you say edit 2nd to last digit to support cruise, what do you mean?

When you login to the coding of 16-Steering Wheel you'll see a series of 5 digits, each representing whats installed into the car etc.

The 2nd to last digit is dependant upon:

0xx?x: Board Computer & Cruise Control
  • 0 = Board Computer & Cruise Control not installed
  • 1 = Board Computer installed
  • 2 = Cruise Control installed
  • 4 = Board Computer & Cruise Control installed

So if you had a Trip Computer and Cruise Control the digit would need to be changed to '4', or if you didn't have a Trip Computer the digit would be changed to '2'.

VAS doesnt allow security access on anything afaik, given my dealer is buying vcds of me now lmfao, it will be a guided function to enable this mate, vcds is simpler & allows more access to some systems than vas, but it should be a GFF option anyway to enable cruise.

Reactions: deian3387
Iv'e gone through guided to code and enable cc but still no joy.. One thing that i wasn't sure of was when i installed the cc kit there was a wire in the box that i haven't installed because i was under the impression that this cable was only for the a6. Am i correct in saying this? BTW how mutch is the vcds?

Check my sig for the GB I'm running for vcds atm :)

As I'm not there to see for myself, I couldnt possibly say, you'd have to check your car wiring to see if it has the wire already in place.

Haha, wondered how long it'd be before Audi dealers would be interested in the VCDS software.. seems so much more capable than VAS.

You don't need the wire providing you have a Midline/Highline ECU and/or a Multi Function Steering Wheel.

If the above checks out and still a no-go, most possibly the Clutch switch... check the Measuring Blocks of the clutch switch in Engine-01 to see when you press the clutch the values change.. if they don't then you need to replace the clutch switch.

Yes thought so.. i have a multifunction steering wheel

will have a look at the clutch switch later, thanks

Thats what allot of people dont realise, the amount of R&D that goes into vcds so we can utlise the security access & code up things like cruise etc, for us specifically we'd be goosed without it huh fella, vas is good, all the time its updated & used via the online system, at a huge cost though, but for me its just a ball breaker most the time, dealers have to enter so much crap before even getting to coding, eg. passwords, job no, reg etc etc just so audi can keep its nose in your business of whats happened to your car, its a form of control over an item you've bought from them, which is for me ridiculous, as 99.9999% of owners dont play with there cars anyway.

If vag think about how much time is wasted on pointless tasks, just so they can know you've stuck an aftermarket cd player in the car, they'd see its costing them & dealers millions, if not billions around the world, time is money no matter which way you cut it.

clutch switch ok, checked values of cc switch and all functions ok but when i check for cc value under engine man it says cc not enabled so i think that's where its gone wrong. So i take it the cc isn't enabled on engine man

I get this when I retrofitet cc:
18106 - Please Check DTC Memory of Steering Wheel Electronics
P1698 - 008 - - Intermittent
Please help.

A4 b7

Last edited:
What do you mean, but nothing, do you mean cruise isnt working?

Yes, mate.Never it worked, Just fitted with MFSW ,slip ring, control module. Everything works fine, no errors except this.

Last edited:
Ok, so what coding have you done thus far?

Engine 01
Coding-II 11
Enter 11463
The code accepted but then:

Address 01: Engine Labels: REDIR FAIL!
Control Module Part Number: 8E0 906 018 AM
Component and/or Version: 1,6l R4/2VSIM3 G 0030
Software Coding: 0006271
Work Shop Code: WSC 06325 000 00000
VCID: 73EFAE6811AE376
1 Fault Found:
18106 - Please Check DTC Memory of Steering Wheel Electronics
P1698 - 008 - - Intermittent
Readiness: 0010 1001

The SWCM gave this but it was cleared:

Address 16: Steering wheel Labels: 8E0-953-549.lbl
Part No: 8E0 953 549 Q
Component: Lenksαulenmodul 0801
Coding: 02041
Shop #: WSC 06325
VCID: 418334A04B92D56
1 Fault Found:
00895 - Cruise Control Switch (E45)
04-00 - Mechanical Malfunction

Last edited:
Have you checked the wire is present from one end to the other, normally is tbh on a B7.

Have you checked the mesuring blocks to test the cruise switch to see if the steering cu is getting signals properly.

Thanks NHN for your help, is very appreciated. Please tell me how I could check these,
Especially the wire.

Unfortunately you're using a clone vcds cable, so until you get a genuine cable I cant help you further.

I asked for help from an audi mate,not from a cable seller.
It is sadly.

You got help which tbh is more than I normally would have given to fake users, but if you can afford to do the mods & run that car, you can afford to buy the correct genuine tools for the work, I cant be seeing to support people with fake illegal cables, personally I think its wrong anyway, regardless if I sell the cables or not.

Ross-tech give there free time to help people like yourselves on forums who dont even own any cables, which I respect, you obviously dont, otherwise you would of bought the real product or at least licensed the software.

Once you have the genuine product, I will happily help when I'm available.

No idea with VAS.

VCDS / Vagcom is fairly simple:

01 - Engine
Coding
'11463'

&

16 - Steering Wheel
Coding
Edit 2nd to last digit to support CC

I have been thinking of installing cruise control on my 2.0 TDi B7 and have been reading all sorts on how to code it in once the hardware is fitted.

Although i dont have VCDS, what i do have is a Snap-On Solus Ultra which has a mode on it called 'Expert Mode' which does the same functions as VCDS.

I have read a guide which says to recode the ABS module too?? Which no one else seems to mention, and also maybe recalibrate G85 steering sensor?

I have already scanned my ECU and the steering ECU is part number 8E0953549Q.

Is it really as simple as fitting the switch then -

[01] Engine / Coding / 11463 (to enable cruise)

[16] Steering wheel / Coding / change my original code 04012 to new code 04042

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
You only have to do the ABS and steering sensor if you change the steering module

Is it really as simple as fitting the switch then -

[01] Engine / Coding / 11463 (to enable cruise)

[16] Steering wheel / Coding / change my original code 04012 to new code 04042.
Close but not quite right.

The change to the engine ECU [01] isn't a coding change [07] it's a login [11].

I found that the steering wheel coding change wouldn't be accepted if the cruise control switch was in the ON position.

So is it then -

[01] Engine / [11] Login / 11463 (to enable cruise)

[16] Steering wheel / [07] Coding / change my original code 04012 to new code 04042

Some descriptions mention [11] as either Login and/or coding II, the software i'm using refers to [11] as
11-Login Request (Except KW2000)
or
11-ECU Coding 2 (KW2000 Only)

My menu looks like this

01-Read ECU Identification
02-Check DTC Memory
03-Actuator Tests
04-Basic settings
05-Clear DTC Memory
06-Stop Communication
07-ECU Coding
08-Read Measuring Value Block
09-Read ADC Channel
10-Adaptation
11-Login Request
15-Check readiness Code Setting​
16-Security Access

Last edited:
Since the engine ECU doesn't use the KW2000 protocol, 11 means Login Request.

Hi mate I've got an A4 B8 2.0TDi and I've finally managed to persuade Audi to give me the part number for the Stalks that I need to do the conversation!!! They advised me that there are also other part numbers that may work with my car so I'm hoping you can help me with that please?
The part number i have been given is 8K0953502D, one of my mates has 8K0953502BD and is willing to give me it at a very good price....so can anyone tell me if this would fit my car?

Cheers

Hi,i have an audi a4 b7,tfsi.i retrofitted a cruise controll switch.in the engine modul i was succeded coding the cc,but in the steering modul does not want to take the new code.someone have anny idea why?regards

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk