Retrofit CarPlay

sparkymark75

Reaction score
I have a 2015 PFL S3 with High Nav but not Audi Connect. I understand I have MMI v1. What do I need to do to get Apple CarPlay up and running? Is it an upgrade to MMI v2? What parts would I need?

Are the aftermarket options any good?

Would I be cheaper in the long run just buying a newer car?

The aftermarket units yo can choose from are ok. If you go kenwood or pioneer then you will get a ok experience. If your wanting a decent head unit with CarPlay then you pay for what you get.

I had a android head unit in my 06 a3 that was cool. 10” screen, WiFi and all that but I had a dongle hidden under the handbrake compartment.

I ended up getting a 2017 model a3 as my car was oldish.

Depends really on your budget long story short

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The aftermarket units yo can choose from are ok. If you go kenwood or pioneer then you will get a ok experience. If your wanting a decent head unit with CarPlay then you pay for what you get.

I had a android head unit in my 06 a3 that was cool. 10” screen, WiFi and all that but I had a dongle hidden under the handbrake compartment.

I ended up getting a 2017 model a3 as my car was oldish.

Depends really on your budget long story short

Can’t see it being easy or possible to get an aftermarket head unit like kenwood/pioneer in an 8v. The main unit is in glovebox with a screen that pops out the dash and some button/knob in the centre.
There’s aftermarket solutions out there that will kinda integrate with the mmi. Some are ok some are rubbish. Only ever seen one in real life which looked good but audio quality was really poor. Newer ones should be better
Carplay is overrated if you ask me. Standard mmi is already pretty good so not a huge amount to gain other that it integrating with your phone.
Other option is full retrofit of newer mib unit so not cheap.

Having done some more research, seems for starters I would need the MIB 2 unit. What I'm not certain on is what else I would need, cabling, coding, component protection, etc

This is a piggyback add on CarPlay/Android Auto module which now supports wireless connection, it's a somewhat reputable company in China and I've seen it working first hand, and friend is happy with it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_2,searchweb201603_53

A few places seem to sell this under their own brands.

I’ve been given a price of around £1200-£1500 to retrofit CarPlay to my car using genuine Audi parts. Problem is I’m based in Scotland and this is in the south of England.

I’ve been given a price of around £1200-£1500 to retrofit CarPlay to my car using genuine Audi parts. Problem is I’m based in Scotland and this is in the south of England.

Carplay isn’t an option for PFL and there’s no genuine Audi parts as it’s all software, unless they’re talking about retrofitting MMI2... If you just want carplay on PFL, the add on module is best solution.

Other way to look at it is it worth chucking £12-1500 in a car? Will you get it back? Is carplay worth that much as you won’t be getting any extra features to the mmi
Those £2-300 solutions seems the better bet and removable if you are selling.
If you are deciding to keep the car and drive it till it dies then spend the money as you will get the full enjoyment of it.
To be honest I personally don’t think it’s worth even £250 that audi used to charge for it. iOS 13 might be the game changer but will have to wait and see.
Only good thing is you don’t have to pay for maps as google maps is always up to date as long as you are in a good reception area.

Reactions: Fraysa
Genuine car play is about £1400-1800 depending on if you have the 7 inch mmi MIB1 “high” model. If you don’t, you will need the larger screen which is about £300-400.

Parts needed...

8v1035035 - main MIB2 glovebox unit. This must be a hacked/unlocked unit with all features enabled. An eBay unit from a car will not work and will be totally useless to you. People like vagtec (Doncaster), audi retrofits or vagcarcoding can supply these. Also there is a company in Poland who supply hacked units called APG.

I used the company below to fit mine.

http://vagtec.co.uk/eshop/audi/a3/a...it-navigation-mib2-with-dab-no-sim-a3-8v.html

You also need the cubby arm rest insert to support the new USB’s which you install.

If you have bang and olufsen, you’ll also need an MIB2 amp and amp base-plate

Reactions: ME CODING
Genuine car play is about £1400-1800 depending on if you have the 7 inch mmi MIB1 “high” model. If you don’t, you will need the larger screen which is about £300-400.

Parts needed...

8v1035035 - main MIB2 glovebox unit. This must be a hacked/unlocked unit with all features enabled. An eBay unit from a car will not work and will be totally useless to you. People like vagtec (Doncaster), audi retrofits or vagcarcoding can supply these. Also there is a company in Poland who supply hacked units called APG.

I used the company below to fit mine.

http://vagtec.co.uk/eshop/audi/a3/a...it-navigation-mib2-with-dab-no-sim-a3-8v.html

You also need the cubby arm rest insert to support the new USB’s which you install.

If you have bang and olufsen, you’ll also need an MIB2 amp and amp base-plate

I have the MIB1 high sat nav currently so I believe I wouldn't need the screen changed. I do also have the Bang and Olufsen audio. So sounds like additional cost for that.

Other way to look at it is it worth chucking £12-1500 in a car? Will you get it back? Is carplay worth that much as you won’t be getting any extra features to the mmi
Those £2-300 solutions seems the better bet and removable if you are selling.
If you are deciding to keep the car and drive it till it dies then spend the money as you will get the full enjoyment of it.
To be honest I personally don’t think it’s worth even £250 that audi used to charge for it. iOS 13 might be the game changer but will have to wait and see.
Only good thing is you don’t have to pay for maps as google maps is always up to date as long as you are in a good reception area.

All good points and food for thought. One thing I didn't want to do with an add-on solution would be to cut holes for a USB port. So I may well go for one of the add-ons that work wirelessly (via BT?) and just keep the USB port buried behind the dashboard.

Last edited:
I have the MIB1 high sat nav currently so I believe I wouldn't need the screen changed. I do also have the Bang and Olufsen audio. So sounds like additional cost for that.

I paid £1400 in total I think.

You need:

Glovebox unit
New mmi centre console controller
Cubby arm rest insert
Usb’s
USB wiring loom
MIB2 amp
MIB2 amp base

All good points and food for thought. One thing I didn't want to do with an add-on solution would be to cut holes for a USB port. So I may well go for one of the add-ons that work wirelessly (via BT?) and just keep the USB port buried behind the dashboard.

Just hide the USB port in the glovebox so it’s still accessible. I’ve never tried wireless CarPlay so not sure if sound quality differs to cable. I know cable sounds way better than Bluetooth audio in my s3.

That module is with wireless connection, and u paid about 1500 gbp for VC. MMI2 with 7” screen, controller hehe... luxury of living next to the biggest VAG plant...

Some of these Chinese add-ons seem to require the use of the aux connection. I'm not sure my car has that. I don't see an aux option in media in the MMI. Mine has the B&O audio and an Audi connection in the centre console.

You need:

Glovebox unit
Cubby arm rest insert
Usb’s
USB wiring loom
MIB2 amp
MIB2 amp base

Hi do you need to change amp and amp base for this retrofit?

Hi do you need to change amp and amp base for this retrofit?

Yes - the amps have changed from MIB1 to MIB2. The physical design is also slightly different so MIB2 amp doesn’t slide into the MIB1 baseplate and vice versa. The amp wasn’t expensive. £100 or so. You do need to remove Component protection with someone with ODIS online access, so make sure the amp isn’t stolen. I recommend buying from a breakers or check with the eBay seller first before committing. Make sure you fit it and get it tested before the 30 day returns window is over on eBay.

I dome the Retrofit mb1 to mb2 and i have B&O but I didn’t change the amp , all still works , should i change? What difference will it make?

I dome the Retrofit mb1 to mb2 and i have B&O but I didn’t change the amp , all still works , should i change? What difference will it make?

My bass, treble and speed volume were not present in the MMI. I tried to flash the MIB2 parameter file onto the MIB1 amp but it would not take it. Are all your options there in your sound settings?

My bass, treble and speed volume were not present in the MMI. I tried to flash the MIB2 parameter file onto the MIB1 amp but it would not take it. Are all your options there in your sound settings?

I only have bass menu nothing else, so in order to get the menu back i have to replace all that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I only have bass menu nothing else, so in order to get the menu back i have to replace all that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Correct, i had no subwoofer. With my replacement set up I now have all the options back.

You need:

Glovebox unit
Cubby arm rest insert
Usb’s
USB wiring loom
MIB2 amp
MIB2 amp base

I read on an advert for an MIB 2 on eBay that only cars manufactured before 25 May 2015 require the amplifier change. Not sure if this is true or not?

How do I figure out the part numbers for items I need? If I can get the list of parts together, I can make a start on tracking them down and buying them.

You need:

Glovebox unit
Cubby arm rest insert
Usb’s
USB wiring loom
MIB2 amp
MIB2 amp base

So this is the list of part numbers I have so far. Can anyone verify if these are correct?

MIB 2 Unit 8V1 035 897 (not sure which version of this I need)
Connection for external audio sources 81A 035 736
Stowage Compartment 863-050
Adapter Cable Loom 8P0 971 767
MIB 2 B&O Amp 81A 035 466
MIB 2 B&O Amp Base 81A 907 390

So this is the list of part numbers I have so far. Can anyone verify if these are correct?

MIB 2 Unit 8V1 035 897 (not sure which version of this I need)
Connection for external audio sources 81A 035 736
Stowage Compartment 863-050
Adapter Cable Loom 8P0 971 767
MIB 2 B&O Amp 81A 035 466
MIB 2 B&O Amp Base 81A 907 390

You need....

8v1035035/8v1035035B - MIB2 glovebox unit

81a035736 - USB’s and aux cable
81a035466/81a035466B - MIB2 BO amp
81A 907 390 - MIB2 amp base

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/163309027094 - MIB2 USB loom

8v0919614BE/BF/BK - MIB2 MMI controller - depends if you have keyless entry/push button start. BF/BK has touch in top....BK is a slightly larger twist button

Arm rest cubby - can’t remember the PN, but it ends in 300C!

Reactions: sparkymark75
I have a BK controller in near mint condition (switched to multi-language touch version..) if anyone's interested.. :p

Reactions: ME CODING
I have a BK controller in near mint condition (switched to multi-language touch version..) if anyone's interested.. :p

Hi what’s the multi language touch part number?

Thanks

You need....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/163309027094 - MIB2 USB loom

8v0919614BE/BF/BK - MIB2 MMI controller - depends if you have keyless entry/push button start. BF/BK has touch in top....BK is a slightly larger twist button

Thanks. So I had some of the parts right. Do I need the MIB 2 MMI controller? I don’t have keyless entry or push button start. My current dial has the touch pad on it.

Thanks. So I had some of the parts right. Do I need the MIB 2 MMI controller? I don’t have keyless entry or push button start. My current dial has the touch pad on it.

Unfortunately the mmi menus have totally changed on MIB2, you don’t have the 4 buttons to get to menus anymore.

Tbh they’re cheap. Not sure if this comes with touch for drawing letters, but it’ll work fine otherwise. Tbh, once you have carplay you’re much better off with waze over The nav anyway.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/173217939511

You need....

For reference (or in case anyone else reads this), the part number for the storage unit is 8V0863300C

You need....

@Boj27 - I don’t have keyless entry or start but do have touch so would it be the BK version I would need?

@Boj27 - I don’t have keyless entry or start but do have touch so would it be the BK version I would need?

It’s BK if you want touch on top for letter writing. I’ve never once used this, so BE would probably be fine if you can’t find a BK model.

Still have it and taking reasonable offer, but BK is for keyless this...
Ah okay. I'm not exactly clear on what the various revisions are for but I think I’ve sussed out that BJ is the touch version with no keyless or push start. But it’s difficult to find so I’m probably going to have to settle for a BE version. There are more of them available but finding one that isn’t scratched or marked is difficult!

Last edited:
So got all the parts ordered with the exception of the MMI controller. According to the guy supplying the MIB2 unit, I don’t need to upgrade my B&O amp as my car was manufactured after the end of May 2015.

Just need to find a decently priced MMI controller that isn’t marked/damaged. Finding the touch version is unlikely so it looks like I’ll have to settle for the non touch version.

So got all the parts ordered with the exception of the MMI controller. According to the guy supplying the MIB2 unit, I don’t need to upgrade my B&O amp as my car was manufactured after the end of May 2015.

Just need to find a decently priced MMI controller that isn’t marked/damaged. Finding the touch version is unlikely so it looks like I’ll have to settle for the non touch version.

Let me know if you’re willing to sell the old MIB unit you have :).

Let me know if you’re willing to sell the old MIB unit you have :).

I'll be keeping all the parts I take out mate to put back in when I sell the car.

@Boj27 - I know you said that I'd need the newer MMI controller but do you think my current one would still work? Maybe just with a couple of the silver side buttons not doing anything. The newer one has a button either side of the dial, my one has 4. Or are the connections on the back different?