Retrofit AMI into glovebox?

Lord lucan

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Anyone know if it’s possible to retrofit the AMI connections/interface into the glovebox of my A6 C6, and if so what’s involved?

I’ve managed to speak to someone breaking an A6 C6 with AMI and wanted to understand what’s involved and if any other bits are needed to get it installed and working in my car.

As far as I can tell it would need to be wired into the back of the 6 CD changer in the glovebox which my car does have already.

Any help would be appreciated

Do you have the colour MMI system? Which year?

Ok so MMI 2G High.Is the donor vehicle around the same age?

You may need a mmi firmware update.

You can swap it directly for the changer, if you wish to run both you will need a MOST and power splitter which plugs into the original factory loom. You will also need to modify your glovebox ie cutting the back end out of the pocket beside the changer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cable-Se...=item33f2c9267b:g:BCAAAOSwlypb5tHp:rk:34:pf:0

Reactions: Lord lucan
Thanks for the reply.

Noob question: how do you go about installing a firmware update on these cars.

Yes the donor car is also a 2007

Purchase 4L0 998 961 from your local dealer. Plenty of walkthroughs online to guide you.

If you press CAR, SETUP then Settings (one of the inner buttons), scroll down to Version.

Reply with the top line on this post and I can tell you whether you need it or not.

Ok thanks: will do it tomorrow or later this week and post the findings up.

Out of interest: what is the item I’d be buying?

Ok thanks: will do it tomorrow or later this week and post the findings up.

Out of interest: what is the item I’d be buying?

ami-audi-music-interface-kit-reequipamiento-ami-most-mmi2g_2.jpg

I did this on a b8 A5. I had to also buy a new glove box interior to suit the AMI unit.

I did this on a b8 A5. I had to also buy a new glove box interior to suit the AMI unit.

Not with the 4F. The interior of the glovebox is prepped by default.

Reactions: Lord lucan and Evil Derboy
Another simpleton question: would that unit replace the cd changer? Ie it would slot into the hole left once the changer is removed?

As per post #4, yep.

Not with the 4F. The interior of the glovebox is prepped by default.

Not quite, it still needs work to open the back of the spare slot up for the AMI to fit. I find it best to put the AMI into the CD changer slot and mount the CD changer into the newly opened slot next to it and secure it with some double sided tape as there are no securing points in the A6 glovebox when modified to take an AMI