Retro fitting xenons question

maars

Full speed ahead
Reaction score
Is it true that the standard and bi xenon lights are switchable from lhd to rhd spec on the units themselves? Or is my ebay seller telling porkies?!

Is it true that the standard and bi xenon lights are switchable from lhd to rhd spec on the units themselves? Or is my ebay seller telling porkies?!

If you are talking about 8P A3 ones then no it's not true. 100% porkies mate.

To be more accurate Bi-xenons can be put in tourist mode with VCDS/Vag-com. All this does is lower the beam slightly, it doesn't make it a flat beam as is often thought.

I think older xenons can be changed to a flat beam by moving a manual switch. I may be wrong though.

I'm unsure but if this is the case, but if you can do LHD to RHD you must be able to do RHD to LHD.

So would a member have seen the switch to do this while fiddling with there xenon headlights???????

I had a set on my Golf with projector lenses and they were switchable...there was a metal hanger bit that you pulled and pushed...

Staz nearly right mate on 1st & also correct on 2nd thing, older cars had the metal lever that did as you say & actually the newer cars that have halogen/standard xenon on dipped beam have these still I believe(I'll check mine to confirm this), bi-xenon have these aswell I think, but what Staz means is the Bi-xenon Plus/Adaptive headlights can be amended in vag as these are the only ones that have the left/right motors inside to be able to do electronically, bi-xenon & bi-xenon plus are different from eachother purely cause the latter can turn left & right with the steering of the car basically also known in europe as with Curve(round corners) as this is what I'm currently got to do as mod to my car, just need the lights now.

So my existing xenons will be for sale soon & kufatec do the conversion kit for them so plug n play for swap from halogens, wish my mod was this easy.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the xenons might be switchable, which is good.

Part nos are 8P0941003S & 8P0941004S.

So my existing xenons will be for sale soon & kufatec do the conversion kit for them so plug n play for swap from halogens, wish my mod was this easy.

Can you PM me and let me know how much you are looking for for your xenons? Thanks!

I have questioned my local Audi dealer on this who claim there is no manual switch on new A3's for xenon adaptive lights so it seems as it has to be done via Vag. They will do it for a fee of £50.

I have questioned my local Audi dealer on this who claim there is no manual switch on new A3's for xenon adaptive lights so it seems as it has to be done via Vag. They will do it for a fee of £50.

My dealer says the same. When I went on holiday to Germany and Switzerland recently I changed mine to 'tourist' mode using VAG.COM.

But is 'tourist mode' the same as changing from RHD to LHD or vica versa?

bi-xenon have these aswell I think, but what Staz means is the Bi-xenon Plus/Adaptive headlights can be amended in vag as these are the only ones that have the left/right motors

No bi-xenons need to be adjusted with vag.com also but they can't change to LHD mode. They only lower the beam.

Adaptives I forgot about and didn't know the answer anyway!

But is 'tourist mode' the same as changing from RHD to LHD or vica versa?

No. As I said in my first post all it does is lower the beam. It does not change the beam pattern whatsoever.

so what about normal not bi xenons?

check your lights for the lever mate or you can lower them manually with screwdriver, thats what audi tech guy told me, easiest solution overall he said, you could check with vag if standard xenons have even if it says only plus & adaptive in rosstech wiki, infact if I can later I'll check on mine.

so what about normal not bi xenons?

I don't know to be honest. I doubt it though as I know with most companies you can't do it. I know this because I live in Germany and everyone has to buy continental lights when they import a car there. Myself included.

check your lights for the lever mate or you can lower them manually with screwdriver, thats what audi tech guy told me, easiest solution overall he said, you could check with vag if standard xenons have even if it says only plus & adaptive in rosstech wiki, infact if I can later I'll check on mine.

Do you mean me? I know mine do not have a manual lever. 100%. I had to swap my lights for continentals when I took the car to Germany. And I know I can set tourist mode with vag-com as I have done it.

You can of course lower the beam manually on any lights by adjusting their height as you would to make normal adjustments. But this isn't what we're talking about here. And either way the beam pattern is not correct so they won't be UK road legal.

Maars can you send the link to the ebay auction? I can't use ETKA on this computer so I don't know what those part numbers refer to. You can PM it if you're worried about someone on here bidding against you.

Is it much of a job to swap from Bi-xenon Plus to adaptive?

I'll let you know when done, lol, you need 1-2 looms from kufatec, new headlight range control module as with adaptive it changes part & of course headlights with also new control modules in base, I've got all bar the lights so waiting for some to come up so I can start doing the mod., only thing worries me are DRL's as some speculation over them when doing the lights upgrades even from lower lights to basic bixenon that Mattandrew is gonna do, so trial & error but can be done with time & some knowledge

Nigel - how much are you after for your existing xenons? PM me with more details please...

Can someone with ETKA let me know the part nos for LHD and RHD single and bi-xenon headlights pretty please.
Thank you!

8P0941029N & 030N are standard xenon for pre-facelift
8P0941029AA & 030AA are the bixenon for pre-facelift
8P0941029AB & 030AB are the adaptive cornering one for pre-facelift

best to ask if you find a pair if they are what you need mate as some might have older letters at end as superseded with above or even above might be replaced aswell.

By pre-facelift do you mean pre 2009 A3 8P cars?
ebay.de ones appear to be 8P0 941 003/4M or 003/4S - no good I guess?[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

yes pre 09, M & S are right hand traffic & no good as they are setup for beam on other sides & cant be adjusted to our side only lowers beam, you could use the beam adjusters stuck on but looks *****, just waiting for my italian bird to decide on when moving to italy then I have to swap mine to german anyway which is why I said mine are gonna be for sale