Retro fitting heated seat elements (B6)?

Reaction score
Lots of searching but no answers so far. Has anyone retro fitted heated elements to the front seats of a B6? Winter's coming again and between -1 and -35 I'd quite like a warm **** if possible.
cheers
nj

Take a breville sandwich maker,turn it into 12v and lob in under each seat! Et voila.

Let me know when you get answer! i've already got it in mine, but i think one of the elements has moved as it burns the side of my leg not the softness of my aarse!!!

Take a breville sandwich maker,turn it into 12v and lob in under each seat! Et voila.
Always good to hear some wise words from you mate :)
And tell your missus she left two smudges on my driver's door when she was washing it

mitch - will do mate. If it's anything like an 80 variant, like the S2, it will need the cover to come off the base and the foam to come off the frame.

Would also love heated seats in mine, god I miss my old E39 lol

I miss the heated seats in my H plate S2. They could toast an **** like a George Foreman grill. I wasn't overly bothered about them in Scotland (would have been nice though) but now I really want them. There aren't many cars up here that didn't come with a full winter pack from new. So the crazy foreigner has the steering wheel on the wrong side AND cold seats. He does have quattro though :)

A friend of mine did it and the cover to the seat had to come off, as his where cloth it refitted ok but im told the leather ones are very hard to refit as factory. Only took him a couple of hours to do one seat.

good stuff. it's cloth sports seats I have so hopefully it's doable. Would you mind asking him if he has part numbers or maybe even for a brief description of what he did?
Does anyone know if the switches for the B6 are integrated into a different A/C control unit or separate?

yes il ask but it was a couple of years back now. You will need a new air con unit as the switches are integrated into them see here for example AUDI A4 AIR CON CONTROL PANEL on eBay (end time 03-Nov-10 18:46:37 GMT) bit pricey that one. ive also read that a b7 aircon unit (although looks identical to the b6) fits but will need a modification to the wiring loom to make the rear demister work, i think woorlord did a good wright-up on how to do this not so long back, I also believe that kufatec build and supply the wiring looms you need. to connect the seats to the aircon unit.

Si - I don't know what kind of undercrackers you wear but it takes more than 2 pairs of normal person pants to take the chill off in -30 :)

yes il ask but it was a couple of years back now. You will need a new air con unit as the switches are integrated into them see here for example AUDI A4 AIR CON CONTROL PANEL on eBay (end time 03-Nov-10 18:46:37 GMT) bit pricey that one. ive also read that a b7 aircon unit (although looks identical to the b6) fits but will need a modification to the wiring loom to make the rear demister work, i think woorlord did a good wright-up on how to do this not so long back, I also believe that kufatec build and supply the wiring looms you need. to connect the seats to the aircon unit.

Ah, if it was that long ago he may not remember. no worries. 200 quid for a control panel? pfft! I don't think i'll be buying that one. maybe he neglected to mention the seats are inc for that price?

I just found this thread http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-cabriolet-s4-forum-b6-chassis/92040-retro-fit-heated-seats.html
and for anyone else seeing this thread here is the wiring loom KUFATEC GmbH & Co. KG - Kabelsatz Sitzheizung Audi A4 B6 33856
And how to mod a B7 control panel here http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-...44-b7-c-unit-b6-rear-demist-modification.html

Si - I don't know what kind of undercrackers you wear but it takes more than 2 pairs of normal person pants to take the chill off in -30 :)

:laugh:

Bless.

Defo part of the CC unit for the switches though bud, as 'swarcup' has stated above it would mean swapping out the unit and grabbing the elements and loom.

yeah I've been looking at them on ebay now. range from £100 to £silly. I'll update as I go lads, cheers

Be grateful you've not got leather seats Noel, mine are freezing first thing even in our balmy temperatures!

haha. can you imagine winter/ski clothing on cold leather? I'd need to strap myself onto the seat to stay on it

Be grateful you've not got leather seats Noel, mine are freezing first thing even in our balmy temperatures!

Same here James.

Would like to see a decent retro-fit done, looked into mine as the switches are separate on the B5's, I have some looms from a B4 80 which are the same, so elements needed at some point.

one has to assume the fatty diet provides adequate cushioning and insulation. sadly without the famed pizza crunch supper (half pizza, battered, deep fried with chips) I have withered to a waif, unable to insulate myself adequetely.
[for the record the pizza crunch is a genuine Glasgow delicacy but I was never brave enough to try it, dipping my ******** in jam and waving them at Rottweilers being a safer option]

I have some brand new original audi ones all you need is the kufetec looms and the climate unit with the heated seats on if you look hard enough there about £30 the looms are £45 and what anyone wants to offer me for the elements?

Sounds good guys, anyone got a detailed explaination on parts and labour required to fit these?

Thanks

I haven't ben able to find it all in one place but hope to put it all in here if/when it comes together

erm.. silly question time. If I get a B7 climate control unit with switches for heated seats is it going to be compatible with my single DIN cage? Or will I need to go double din? And if I go double Din do I have to get the RNS-E?

as far as i have read the units are identicle in dimensions its just the wiring you need to adapt.it should be a straight swap for yours

I have the relay mod saved but I was looking at the centre console tonight and was worried that it wouldn't physically fit. So with a double din cage the climate control unit sits right at the bottom and it fits just the same as with the single din setup when it sits higher up, above the little storage bit?

1wheel's the man for this really - from memory you might need to shave a bit from the edge of the climate unit (or maybe it was the double din cage?) to get it to sit fully down in the console.

Sorry to be a bit vague but I've not done this, just trying to recall what I've read.

it's cool matey. As long as buying a B7 climate control for my single din cage doesn't leave me with that "aw ****", like when I received the S4 cabby grill instead of the saloon/avant version

I now have a B7 climate control unit but given that it may already be a tad thinner I could be looking out for a double din cage and even an RNS-D to fill the hole above if anyone has one? (I can't afford RNS-E just now after buying all the HID, DIS, cruise control, climate control bits etc)

Dont forget to do the rear heat mod on the b7 climate unit youl need it up there bud woorlord is the man for that!

Last edited:
Dont forget to do the rear heat mod on the b7 climate unit youl need it up there bud woorlord is the man for that!
ah yes, thanks mate. I have a thread saved with that info. The bigger issue just now is that my missus slipped on ice and caught herself on my rear wiper and pulled it off. New, aero version is en route from Germany just now though :)