Retro fitting cruise control

sixsr

Reaction score
Has anyone retro fitted cruise control to their A4?

I'm just wondering the cost and work involved in doing it.

Cheers Simon.

£60 in parts if you dont need a new steering ECU (If you dont already have multi-function steering wheel you'll probably need one). 30 minutes to fit and re-code with VAG-COM.

£60 in parts if you dont need a new steering ECU (If you dont already have multi-function steering wheel you'll probably need one). 30 minutes to fit and re-code with VAG-COM.

I've not got the multifunction wheel so would need the steeting ECU.

Do you know how much extra that would cost and do you know any of the part numbers?

Thanks Simon.

I'm also thining of doing this. The guy from E-bay charges £240.00 inc fitting and will travel to where you are for an extra £50.00 roughly that's if your outside the M25. A friend at work used him the other week for a Flat Bottom MFSW and he said he really is a great guy and really knows stuff. Used to work for Audi.

I would like to know parts numbers etc though just to see how much I can save by doing the job myself.

I've not got the multifunction wheel so would need the steeting ECU.

Do you know how much extra that would cost and do you know any of the part numbers?

Thanks Simon.

Part numbers do change now and again so I would check with your dealer, its important to get the correct steering wheel ECU. There are quite a few available depending on model year and options fitted. I think they are under £100.

Sorrry, the links don't seem to work.

Cruise control kit multi-function
Order number: 8E0054690
Our price: 24.15 GBP
47.58 USD
plus 17.5% VAT

Cruise type column trim
Order number: 8E0953512P***
Our price: 18.98 GBP
37.39 USD
plus 17.5% VAT

Sorrry, the links don't seem to work.

Cruise control kit multi-function
Order number: 8E0054690
Our price: 24.15 GBP
47.58 USD
plus 17.5% VAT

Cruise type column trim
Order number: 8E0953512P***
Our price: 18.98 GBP
37.39 USD
plus 17.5% VAT

The cruise kit you mention does not have the steering control systems module (SCSM). VagParts also do a kit which does include this - at least they used to but I see it's no longer on their website - it might be worth giving them a call. The SCSM on its own is about £100, but the kit was the same price.

The only way to be certain whether you need a new SCSM is to scan your existing one (with, e.g. VagCom). Or I guess you could strip down the steering column and read the sticker on the side of it! But since you will need VagCom (or equivalent) to code the cruise control anyway, you might as well do it the easy way.

I found that phoning the dealer was no help - they told me the part number of what SCSM they thought ought to be in the car (based on what would be the current replacement) NOT what was actually in the car from when it was built. So, according to them I had SCSM "8E0 953 549 N", which is already cruise compatible, whereas I actually had SCSM "8E0 953 549 F", which isn't cruise compatible.

I ordered the complete cruise kit from VagParts (sorry, can't remember the kit "part" number) and it actually came with SCSM "8E0 953 549 P", but this did the job fine.

The cruise stalk part number is "4E0 953 521 4PK" and the screws to attach it to the column are "N 909 068 02", of which you need 2. As I said, you can get a kit with all these parts in for about the same cost as just the SCSM. The trim (that you already found) is not included.

Cheers,
Ade

Do you have to remove the steering wheel to change the Control Module or can this be done when removing/changing the lower column trim ?

BTW- The whole kit from VagParts is £143.89 inc VAT and delivery.

You'll need to remove the steering wheel to fit the cruise control stalk and the SCSM.

Do a search in the B6 section for cruise retrofit, i did a "how to" in pics when I did mine a while ago. Its a dodle to do & can be done in under 90mins including tea break!!