Retro fit xenons,easy?

AudiLad

Reaction score
How hard is it to fit xenons to my 8P A3?what does it involve? thanks

boggysv said:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=51583

imho, you'd be better off getting the oem kit. (with proper projector housing and auto leveling stuff)

Not strictly true, you can make a good perfectly safe job of retro fitting if you take your time

My factory fit HID Autolevelling doesn't autolevel and the headlamp washers don't really wash (they sort of smear)

Best thing to do is quote up a set of genuine ones and a set of retro fit ones and make you're own call

As nothing at all seems to work on barcardi's car, just to let you know I have OEM xenons on my Sportback and the auto-levelling works just as it should. To me the auto-levelling is perhaps the most import part of a xenon installation as it stops you be a nuisance to other drivers

h5djr said:
As nothing at all seems to work on barcardi's car, just to let you know I have OEM xenons on my Sportback and the auto-levelling works just as it should. To me the auto-levelling is perhaps the most import part of a xenon installation as it stops you be a nuisance to other drivers

Happy to swap Dave, clearly you don't believe there can be anything wrong with an A3, you're welcome to mine for a month to "reset" your views

Happy to swap Dave, clearly you don't believe there can be anything wrong with an A3, you're welcome to mine for a month to "reset" your views

I accept you have things wrong with your A3, but all I am saying is just because it does not work on your A3 does not mean that it does not work on all A3s.

My particular A3 is now exactly 12 months old and I have had no problems at all. Everything works just as it should. My previous TDI-140 I owned for over two and a half years and that again had nothing wrong with at all and the previous four A3 1.8T Sports were equally as good, hence I keep buying them.

It seems that you have been very unlucky with your particular car.

Slightly off topic, but what extra needs to be done to fit OEM active headlights? I had them on my previous car and annoyingly forgot to tick the box on the options list for this one. They make a huge difference when driving down twisty country lanes at night and I miss them

As far as I understand the actual OEM headlamp units and the associated bits and pieces can be purchased as a kit, certainly from Germany. The main problem as I see it would be fitting the self-levelling set-up and headlamp washers that are required by law. I know some others on this forum have retrofitted OEM units. Perhaps a search for 'OEM xenons' may bring some results.

A less expensive option would be to upgrade your existing headlamps with 'extra light' halogen bulbs. This is the first A3 I've had with Xenons. On all my previous ones I changed the bulbs to 50% extra light bulbs and they certainly were a big improvement over the standard fit.

h5djr said:
I accept you have things wrong with your A3, but all I am saying is just because it does not work on your A3 does not mean that it does not work on all A3s.

My particular A3 is now exactly 12 months old and I have had no problems at all. Everything works just as it should. My previous TDI-140 I owned for over two and a half years and that again had nothing wrong with at all and the previous four A3 1.8T Sports were equally as good, hence I keep buying them.

It seems that you have been very unlucky with your particular car.

Correct me if I am wrong but you have previously stated that you have had a few minor niggles with your cars, however you now appear to be saying they're more reliable than a nun.

I suppose you could call 13 wheel bearings, 3 steering racks, two drivers seats "minor niggles" though personally I don't

Unlucky with my car? absolutely, amazingly unlucky?

Maybe not as clearly I'm not the only one

The question posed was asking about retro fitting HID kits, I felt the need to highlight that there can be problems with the OEM kit, and indeed I have experienced unacceptable issues with mine that, after 3 trips to a dealer still remain.

I've mentioned in other posts there are many other things that do work on my A3, many things that I do appreciate about the car, so I really don't know where you get the impression that nothing at all is working on it

Just because I do not share your overly zealous appreciation of anything with the Audi badge on it doesn't mean I can't express my thoughts/experiences, and it also doesn't mean that I don't appreciate Audi's either.

Correct me if I am wrong but you have previously stated that you have had a few minor niggles with your cars, however you now appear to be saying they're more reliable than a nun.

Yes one or two minor niggles - nothing on any of my A3s that has taken a technician at the dealers more than a few minutes to sort out, whilst I waited.

You're fully entitled to express you opinion about the reliability of the Audi A3 in exactly the same way as I am. Our opinions are just different based on our own personal experience. I've owned a total of ten Audis and five Golfs, four GTIs and a VR6 so I have a reasonable experience of the products of the VAG Group. I had a gearbox problem on the first Golf back in 1978 and a flat battery on an Audi 90 2.3E in late 1993 and a faulty battery on the Vof VR6 but other than that none of them have ever let me down and have only been back to the dealer for routine servicing.

My point is you were giving the impression that the auto-levelling problem was common to all A3s. I was purely pointing out that it's not.

Lets just leave that you have a poor example of an A3 and I have currently a good example of an A3 and have had a total of 6 good examples of an A3 to date.

I already have washers and self levelling as xenons are standard on the S3. It's just the "twisty bits" I'm after, if you know what I mean.

Sorry I missed the fact that you had an S3 and therfeore already had Xenon headlamps.

Having looked at the parts catalogue and workshop manual it's seems that you will have to change the whole headlamp units. The 'cornering' lights have a different part number to the 'normal' xenons and the following statement is contained in the workshop manual:

The swivel module position sensor (left-side: -G474-; right-side: -G475-) and the dynamic cornering light control motor (left-side: -V318-; right-side -V319-) is located in the headlight housing beneath the gas discharge lamp and cannot be renewed separately in the event of a fault.

What additional wiring if any would be required I have no idea. I assume the only way to work that out is to compare the wiring diagrams for both type of headlamps.

h5djr said:
My point is you were giving the impression that the auto-levelling problem was common to all A3s. I was purely pointing out that it's not.

?

Common?

No Dave

not in the slightest

I said "My factory fit HID Autolevelling doesn't autolevel and the headlamp washers don't really wash (they sort of smear)"

The clue is in the word "My"

I didn't even hint that anyone else was having problems, let alone try to give the impression